Why become a member? ×

Floppy B. Pickups and a Stiff Neck.

bubinga5

I've had plenty 33" basses with amazing B strings, better than some 35" and 36" basses I tried a while back.
I also have a 31.5" 6 string, and it works just fine too!

Like the OP, I think it's more to do with the neck and construction.
Not trying to sound snobby, but a modern, high end, hand made bass can pretty much achieve anything you would want within reason.
I've also found that pickup location can make a difference too, popping the pickup somewhere that can naturally produce more mids, especially low mids will really help with your low B too.

Cheers,
Eude

Guest ixlramp

It's odd how no-one mentioned the obvious, floppiness is due to low string tension, so just increase the gauge.
Almost all bass sets have the B at a lower or much lower tension than the other strings. If you want to match the E in tension the E-B pairs are:
.090 .120
.095 .125
.100 .135
.105 .140
.110 .145

[quote name='ixlramp' timestamp='1495834474' post='3307028']
It's odd how no-one mentioned the obvious, floppiness is due to low string tension, so just increase the gauge.
[/quote]
Not entirely true. Yes, if you are talking about upping the gauge of the b using the same brand, but gauge alone is not the main factor of tension. Construction and mass are also very important. D'addario have a massive chart of all their string tensions. Nickel half rounds have more tension in the same gauge as rounds, and flats even more. Also a round core will give more tension than a hex core.

Guest ixlramp

Correct. So yes i mean raise the string tension, and tension is determined by mass, so is affected by string construction and materials. It would be possible to have a brand A .125 tighter than a brand B .130 due to construction and materials.
Floppiness is also, to a lesser extent, caused by string flexibility.

Edited by ixlramp

The 'string tension' is a known depending on the characteristics of the particular string and there is a formula for calculating it. To me this is quite different to what the OP is talking about given that some basses exhibit a floppy B whatever string is fitted. For equal tension strings the 'floppiness' factor is to me determined mainly, in fact overwhelmingly by the rigidity of the neck.

String gauge isn't everything, using fatter strings can have a negative impact on tone (or positive depending on your aims). Big fat strings can cause a boomy, round sound, I prefer the snappier sound of lighter gauges, Scale length isn't everything either.

I honestly think a lot of it is in the woods or other construction materials of the instrument. My Warwick Thumb (34") feels different on the low B to my Spector Euro 5LX (35"). The wood feels different as it vibrates, The Spector is very birght and clear, the warwick is dark and growly - and that is just playing it unplugged.