Why become a member? ×

The All New RickenFaker Thread

Skybone

20 hours ago, Big_Stu said:

Loving the use of chickenheads. I had plans to do similar with a black Rockinbetter and white chickenheads but the prices went silly this side of the pond so I gave up the idea. I've since put a couple on a Strat customisation I'm doing now.

The Chickenhead's are on both of my natural Rockinbetter's and both electric guitars.

Those Bach BRBB's are great looking basses, though never made any enquiries about them further than looking at their website.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

I got booted off Facebook as I was not using my real name or photo. I was "Perro Loco" on the Rickenfaker FB group. I'll have to keep checking in here instead, but might have to sign up again just to keep an eye on the classifieds there!

I don't use my real name on Facebook. I had no interest in using fb but had to join up years ago for band stuff, I made up a nickname and used that. No problems yet. 

1 minute ago, Maude said:

I don't use my real name on Facebook. I had no interest in using fb but had to join up years ago for band stuff, I made up a nickname and used that. No problems yet. 

I thin k it might have been my comments on another FB page. I wasn´t trolling, but get the feeling someone took issue and reported me. I'll have to sign up again.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cetera said:

Just been given this Bass Collection 'Californian' Rickenfaker. Seems to be Indonesian made and sounds pretty good. Any info on these? Thoughts? Quality etc?

Nice gift! Never played one but these are, as I understand it, pretty good stuff as far as modern copies are concerned. I think I remember the Bass Centre got the standard C&D letter from Mr Hall, meaning they weren't around for too long.

Certainly looks nice, proper through neck etc. For me the only letdown visually is that they use the same wrong-looking hardware & pickups as all the cheap Chickenbackers. Seems to be the case with most Fakers, not sure why.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Certainly looks nice, proper through neck etc. For me the only letdown visually is that they use the same wrong-looking hardware & pickups as all the cheap Chickenbackers. Seems to be the case with most Fakers, not sure why.

Thanks chap. So, if I wanted to upgrade it - what hardware/pickups should I be looking to get?

Looks the same as the one I had.

They were around at the same time as the Rockinbetter, possibly even slightly preceded them, very late 90's / early 2000's to mid/late 2000's.

This seems to be a very early version of the "MkII". The MkI had a different bridge, and a "J" style bridge pickup cover which was mounted directly onto the body (no chrome plate).

The MkII introduced the bridge that's now synonymous with the "Chickenbacker", and also the chrome plate/cover for the bridge pickup. The later MkII's had the checker binding, and the "toaster" style neck pickup cover. 

It is a damn fine instrument in it's own right, if you enjoy playing it, enjoy playing it and to hell with whatever anyone else thinks.

I never had any issues with any of the hardware, the tuners worked great, the strings could be intonated without major surgery, etc. The only "possible" issue, is that if you want to change the neck pickup, you might need another scratchplate, as the "replacement" pickups designed to fit the "other" bass are slightly longer. The bridge pickup is not a problem though.

A most excellent gift! 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Thanks chap. So, if I wanted to upgrade it - what hardware/pickups should I be looking to get?

Really don't know - the obvious upgrage would be Rick pickups & harness but as @Skybone says, a neck toaster or Hi-Gain probably won't drop straight in. I think you'd need to route a bit for a Rick bridge unit, certainly if you wanted the big chrome surround & all that.

Bridge is an issue too if you want to use a Rick type. On yours, the saddles are in the place where the mute assembly is on a real one, meaning you'd have to move the entire unit towards the pickup to get it to intonate. You'd also have to route under the bridge as they're not a flush fit. You wouldn't have that problem with a Hipshot (much better bridge anyway) but it would still have to be further forward.

I think if it was mine & it played & sounded good as it is, I'd probably leave it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yep. Talking to him about a red one. Wasn't until I saw this that I realised it's the classic tele headstock shape I don't like! 

This I love. 

I've met & chatted with David, bought parts from him, tried out something for him, and my Red Baron is a Retrovibe bass.

G0NfGIS.jpg

His LP and Tele basses are a bit of fun, though I'm not so struck on this Tele one.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Maude said:

David Konig (Retrovibe) has just posted his new Rickencaster Telebacker on Facebook. It's a one off but apparently he'll be marketing further ones. 

I have to say I like it a lot. 

4LtQwZv.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/78514186083/permalink/10158238637951084/

Looks nice but I suspect terrible neck dive, given the design...