Why become a member? ×

The All New RickenFaker Thread

Skybone

2 hours ago, barrycreed said:

@Bassassin in theory, that's what I was on about. Surprised more companies haven't done this, not necessarily in exactly how the pickups look, but where they are placed. I suppose on the PRick bass, the bridge is kind of where a J bridge might be.... Wonder how it sounds?

If it's got original Rick pickups & electronics I'd think it's fairly authentic, the placement's fairly close to where they'd be on a Rick body. Although that in itself is variable as Rickenbacker specs & dimensions have changed over time - in the mid 70s the neck pickup spacing was moved to 1" from the fretboard end from the original 1/2", and also the position of the neck itself changed relative to the body wings (and therefore pickup position) at some point. Compare @prowla's '72 to a modern 4003 - on a current bass the fretboard heel aligns with the lower cutaway, whereas on Paul's bass the 20th fret itself is at that position.

And speaking of @prowla's basses, I'd think his Rickenberger might be a good test case for whether it's pickups or pickup position that contribute most to the tone - it's a 24 fret, 34" scale bass & it looks like the pickups are largely occupying the original routes - so if it sounds like a Rick, then it's all about the pickups. Probably!

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

If it's got original Rick pickups & electronics I'd think it's fairly authentic, the placement's fairly close to where they'd be on a Rick body. Although that in itself is variable as Rickenbacker specs & dimensions have changed over time - in the mid 70s the neck pickup spacing was moved to 1" from the fretboard end from the original 1/2", and also the position of the neck itself changed relative to the body wings (and therefore pickup position) at some point. Compare @prowla's '72 to a modern 4003 - on a current bass the fretboard heel aligns with the lower cutaway, whereas on Paul's bass the 20th fret itself is at that position.

And speaking of @prowla's basses, I'd think his Rickenberger might be a good test case for whether it's pickups or pickup position that contribute most to the tone - it's a 24 fret, 34" scale bass & it looks like the pickups are largely occupying the original routes - so if it sounds like a Rick, then it's all about the pickups. Probably!

Actually, the pickups are more in the J position, so it's possibly going to do a 4000 on just the "neck" one.

I do need to have a proper try-out, though.

Incidentally, the Vol knob is push-pull and switches off the bridge pickup, and the Tone one switches in the series cap on the bridge pickup.

(They are real Ric pickups too!)

Edited by prowla

I've also got a doubleneck I put Retrovibe Ric-style pickups on.

IBpLoJL.jpg

Again, it's a 22-fretter, though, but the pickup is right at the neck.

I was really lucky with that one - it had "EMG" (yeah, right!) pickups and the Ric ones fitted straight in, even the same screw holes.

Again I need to have a proper listen, but the bass does clatter like a Ric should.

On 02/06/2020 at 17:06, barrycreed said:

@Bassassin that PRic bass could be an interesting project down the line... :)

Terrible video but...

Not the first time I've saw this on a Peavey Patriot.

The original pickup is at the correct Ric bridge position,allowing for 34" scale of course. Just needs the neck pickup.

I know a fella used 2 Peavey ferrites,I could ask him for the neck position.

Funny thing is nobody describes Patriots as anything other than a super P-bass 😄

• Thanks 1

@barrycreed

Just heard back from the fella in the States. I copy/paste to save typing 😀

"The neck pickup on Rics are centered at the 24th fret harmonic. The bridge pickup is at the 36th.
To compare: my Patriot has the neck pickup 25 3/8” from the nut and the bridge pickup is 29 5/8” from the nut. If you do the conversion from 33.25” to 34” scale, a 4001 has its pickups at 24 7/8” and 29 7/8”"

Still not exact but he said close enough. I also asked about the ferrites, against his friends' 4001 and 4003 he reckoned "golden ears" might hear a tiny difference . In a band setting nobody would notice 👍

No idea why this is typing Bold 🤣

33 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

There seems to be 3 for sale in the US. One of them has the pickups further back. 

PMT has the Laredo on clearance.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/rickenbacker-4004-laredo-bass-midnight-blue?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw5vz2BRAtEiwAbcVIL1ieEXQ2eczZMS0FpQpLacmTH8O7brbou3-ZxwCklbXf2HpWIzx1ERoCe3MQAvD_BwE

Guitar Galleries in Scarborough has a Cheyenne.

https://www.guitar-galleries.co.uk/products/rickenbacker-4004-cheyenne-bass-fireglo

On 04/06/2020 at 08:01, Skybone said:

NCRFD - New Custom RickenFaker Day

IMG_20200602_184104.thumb.jpg.1a068c393d58024e928a6535695a32bf.jpg

Loving the use of chickenheads. I had plans to do similar with a black Rockinbetter and white chickenheads but the prices went silly this side of the pond so I gave up the idea. I've since put a couple on a Strat customisation I'm doing now.

3 hours ago, ikay said:

For around 400Euro the Bach BRBB comes quite close to a Laredo/Cheyenne ...

http://www.bachmusik.com/en/music-instruments/bass-guitars/model-bach-brbb

Not my favourite people.

If you check their CZK price against the Euro there's quite a difference. I was planning on buying some necks from them so queried it.

Their answer took me by surprise.

"Euro exchange rates vary so we set our own rate"

BBR-2R in Euros is £386 if you check the CZK price it's £331

£55 for the pleasure of paying in Euros ! Told them to invoice me in CZK.

Still waiting for invoice 2 months later 🤣