Why become a member? ×

Meter reader claims to be guitarist then abuses my basses

Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1495020867' post='3300479']
A meter reader came round the other morning.
A chatty man, he was.
I showed him to the cupboard under the stairs, to read the meters, which is in the corner of the lounge.
He spotted some basses sat on their stands over in the annex to the lounge which I call my studio.
"I play guitar," he says " I've got an Ibanez [something or other] with Seymour Duncans"
He wanders across the room
"Oh nice Musicman," he says
He pulls the E string as far as he can then THWACK it whacks back on the fretboard.
He then grabs the Status necked P next to it and does the same.
The action on the StatusP is very very low and the E string whacked back on the full length of the fretboard.
"The action's too low on those, they're unplayable," he says "Where's your Jazz? Every pro has a Jazz - Ahh there it is, pointing to my JV P"
I point out to him that I'm not a pro and that I play with fingers and a fairly light touch and that they're perfectly playable and that the 'Jazz' is actually a Precision.....
"Nah" he says and turns for the door....?

wtf was that all about?
[/quote]

It must have been one of those 'hilarious' hidden camera pranks...

:blink:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1495055288' post='3300979']
Take comfort from the fact he'll be out of a job soon, when everyone has smart meters.
[/quote]

yeah, because smart meters read themselves! :gas:

This reminds me of one memorable time when I had my gas meter read. I let the guy in and opened the cupboard where the meter was, at which point he produced a box of matches, lit one and started to proffer it towards the gas meter! Fortunately, I had my wits about me and was able to grab his arm and blow the flame out before he was able to get near the meter.

A look of bewilderment came over his face as he said, "what did you do that for?"

He looked even more confused as I started shouting at him, asking him what the f*** he was doing waving naked flames at my gas meter.

"But my torch batteries have run out, and it's too dark to see the numbers!"

Even after I'd got a torch and shone it at the meter for him, he still had absolutely no idea why I was so freaked out.

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1495100082' post='3301227']
This reminds me of one memorable time when I had my gas meter read. I let the guy in and opened the cupboard where the meter was, at which point he produced a box of matches, lit one and started to proffer it towards the gas meter! Fortunately, I had my wits about me and was able to grab his arm and blow the flame out before he was able to get near the meter.

A look of bewilderment came over his face as he said, "what did you do that for?"

He looked even more confused as I started shouting at him, asking him what the f*** he was doing waving naked flames at my gas meter.

"But my torch batteries have run out, and it's too dark to see the numbers!"

Even after I'd got a torch and shone it at the meter for him, he still had absolutely no idea why I was so freaked out.
[/quote]
I would be much more likely to report this guy rather than someone trying to be slightly over friendly and talking nonsense about bass guitars

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1495099695' post='3301219']
Smart meters automatically send the reading back to the energy supplier. No need for a guy to actually come to your house to read the numbers.

S.P.
[/quote]
Waiting for the first smart meter hack that under-reports usage.....

Update - already done..

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1495102605' post='3301252']

Waiting for the first smart meter hack that under-reports usage.....

Update - already done..
[/quote]

I had a digital gas meter, only 8 years old maximum at the time as we've only had mains gas in the village since 2000,they wrote to me saying "it's reached the end of it's serviceable life", when the guy came to swap it for a standard old style one he said people have worked out that if the battery goes flat the reading is lost then it's impossible to charge them! those people have worked out a way of making the battery go flat.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1495051053' post='3300939']
Also why can't people tell you the chords without prodding the root note as they do so? Just say C#, I know where the '***ing thing is!
[/quote]

Conversely - why can't people get the chord I am telling them without me prodding the root note as I do so?

:yarr:

Met a bass player during my working day today at his house , I plucked them and all his basses where setup with too low action and he didn't even have a Jazz , what's wrong with some people ?

Add to that he didn't offer me a cuppa and I even think I saw a music stand !

Edited by lojo

Had some bore turn up to quote for some windows once. He caught sight of my bass and started on about playing guitar in his local church band and waxed lyrical about Les Paul's to me, my face must have glazed over as eventually he asked me if I played in a band.

I explained that I was the bass player of a Black Metal band called Church of the Rotting Christ. His face was a picture. When I asked him if he would like tickets to our next gig, my wife had to leave the room.

He measured up super fast after that and left without any further musical discussions.

PS. Still trying to get that band up and running......

Edited by kendall

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1495119377' post='3301438']
Had some bore turn up to quote for some windows once. He caught sight of my bass and started on about playing guitar in his local church band and waxed lyrical about Les Paul's to me, my face must have glazed over as eventually he asked me if I played in a band.

I explained that I was the bass player of a Black Metal band called Church of the Rotting Christ. His face was a picture. When I asked him if he would like tickets to our next gig, my wife had to leave the room.

He measured up super fast after that and left without any further musical discussions.

PS. Still trying to get that band up and running......
[/quote]

:lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1495099695' post='3301219']

Smart meters automatically send the reading back to the energy supplier. No need for a guy to actually come to your house to read the numbers.

S.P.
[/quote]

Are you sure about that? My understanding is they can be read remotely but only by a person coming round to your property. The idea being that the person doesn't need to enter the property. But a bit like blutooth or Wi-Fi you need to within a certain proximity of the device to read the data from the device.
I just can't see how else they would work without piggy backing into the homeowners Wi-Fi but that would be a real can of worms.

I don't mind people having a go of stuff. Long as there respectful. Even commenting on action etc, again long as comments are respectful.

It was wrong him twanging the strings, I hate that. And he should of said "oh you must play with a light touch as your action is very low"

Although I regret I once said to someone his amp was crap (ashdown little giant). But he was asking me why he is not getting the sound he wanted. And someone asked me to comment on his bass, I did and I wasn't rude but I picked out some faults it had. Then he told me he made it himself and he looked a bit pissed off at me.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1495133518' post='3301593']

Are you sure about that? My understanding is they can be read remotely but only by a person coming round to your property. The idea being that the person doesn't need to enter the property. But a bit like blutooth or Wi-Fi you need to within a certain proximity of the device to read the data from the device.
I just can't see how else they would work without piggy backing into the homeowners Wi-Fi but that would be a real can of worms.
[/quote]

Not sure about domestic but the water, gas and electric in the building where I work have GSM modems in them. The get breakdowns of half hourly energy readings.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1495055729' post='3300983']
I'd report that to his superiors. He might have simply been hired muscle (I think I've had G4S round to take readings on behalf of the small energy supplier I was with until recently). Ignoring the basses for a second, what he did was presumptuous and rude. His job is to read the meters and once he's done that he has no further business being in your property.
[/quote]

We had some G4S moron a few months back just days after I've submitted meter readings online. He got quite aggressive in tone with my wife when she wouldn't let him in. Am sure he really was meter reading but I don't think he knew which power company we use and couldn't explain much about why he needed to do it when we do it ourselves. You never know who is about and once they're in your home anything could happen. Lucky my wife stands her ground and she firmly told him to get off our property.

This meter reader = idiot. Smart Meters: There was a program on radio 2 Jeremy Vine about these. They all have a compatibility problem from one supplier to the next. They don't work properly and the program highlighted several customers being overcharged by thousands as a result. (although they did get it sorted out).
One expert they had on said the tech was already out of date and it would be too expensive to upgrade the whole network so that they would work satisfactory so the whole concept as it stands is flawed.
So really its a "Not so smart meter."

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1495182655' post='3301864']
There will definitely be something in the small print about the meter being physically read (not by you) periodically, the tamper seals and visual inspection for condition can't be checked online either.
[/quote]

I expect so. I can't remember the exact details of it but from what my Mrs said the guy just didn't seem credible and was being aggressive about it so she wouldn't let him in our house. Never heard anything from the power company since.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1495183660' post='3301878']
This meter reader = idiot. Smart Meters: There was a program on radio 2 Jeremy Vine about these. They all have a compatibility problem from one supplier to the next. They don't work properly and the program highlighted several customers being overcharged by thousands as a result. (although they did get it sorted out).
One expert they had on said the tech was already out of date and it would be too expensive to upgrade the whole network so that they would work satisfactory so the whole concept as it stands is flawed.
So really its a "Not so smart meter."
[/quote]

Jeremy Vine makes my teeth itch. His skills as an 'investigative journalist' are extremely lacking and his show is sensationalist.

Of course GSM is old technology but it's only sending numbers to a central control.

I was of the understanding that Invensys collect all the data independently and the power companies just get the data from them. So the comparability issue is really the power companies complaining they can't collect it directly.