Why become a member? ×

Preconstructed vertical 4x10 cab

CameronJ

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495015522' post='3300407']
Ahhh! Takes me back! One of the first PA's a band I was in had those 'lovely' WEM PA cabinets:

[/quote]

" Lovely " haha !

Just found a pair of these in my garage ( what the heck does one do with them ? )

Oh how suffered in days gone by using stuff like this

Gary

Vertical stacks really come into their own on small stages though. It doesn't matter how good the dispersion of your cab is, even with a Barefaced, if it's on the floor firing into the back of your calves, it's going to be suboptimal.

With a stack of vertical 210s, you can have the power of a 410 but only taking up less than 1 square foot on stage, with speakers up high for everyone to hear clearly.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1495202044' post='3302119']

I can't agree with that.

Most of the world best players and biggest bands use amps and cabs easily obtainable from your local store. The likes of Ampeg, Ashdown, orange etc.

If they're good enough for superstars and huge bands, then they're good enough for me! :) I very rarely see any boutique amps or cabs being used. (as good as I'm sure they are).
[/quote]

Most of the people using those on massive stages are usually wearing in ears though :lol:

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1495202044' post='3302119']

I can't agree with that.

Most of the world best players and biggest bands use amps and cabs easily obtainable from your local store. The likes of Ampeg, Ashdown, orange etc.

If they're good enough for superstars and huge bands, then they're good enough for me! :) I very rarely see any boutique amps or cabs being used. (as good as I'm sure they are).
[/quote]

I've built several guitar cabs for a well known guitarist who has a Marshall endorsement. His brief was to make a 2x12 with one driver above the other in a cab that is an exact replica of the 4x12s Marshall supply him.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495015522' post='3300407']
Ahhh! Takes me back! One of the first PA's a band I was in had those 'lovely' WEM PA cabinets:

[/quote]
I had a pair of those back in the early 90s.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1495140378' post='3301651']

I have a pair of H/H 4x12's in the shed that look just like those.
They sound terrible :D
[/quote]

Many many moons ago I rehearsed with a 'band' (I don't think we ever played a gig) with two brothers who had one of those each with the matching VS series amp heads. Memories eh?

• 1 year later...
On 18/05/2017 at 04:13, dannybuoy said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d713c30c1bc1bcb801d2c67c853c3b2b.jpegHey Danny!  Thank you for the mention.  The RS410VT transports easily in the back of a compact car,  top recessed bar handle and built in wheels allow it to roll wherever you're headed and the side handles are ergonomically placed and perfectly balanced so that the cabinet self levels for sliding it across your back seat.  I still make a "traditional" rectangular 410 but the vertically aligned is superior in every way.  Off axis response is excellent,  the footprint takes minimal space on the small stages we all end up on some times,  and it's not blowing past your knees.  And, it's light.

• Like 3

On 09/03/2019 at 07:29, Chienmortbb said:

Of course these were in effect a line array. I loved WEM gear.

Of course they were!  The WEM gear was great but rarely spotted over here.  Our first upgrade in PA after using a pair of Silvertone 610 guitar amps was a Acoustic 870 board (believe that model number is correct) and a pair of matching columns.  We were in heaven with those and even when we moved to big horn loaded boxes used them for monitors.  They served us well and always sounded great.  It's amazing what we had to work with and made work back in the day:)  I remember one of the "big" local bands using big weather horns and a Bogen power amp.

Things have evolved, but vertical arrays are back to stay I believe.  This is a vertically aligned 4 x 8 cab that handle 700 watts and weighs 40lbs.

IMG_5776.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

Edited by dawind99
  • Like 1

I'm a trad 410 user, but love the idea of this! 

I have to put my seats down to get my bass in flight case in to my hatchback. This would merely sit in the same footprint. Although the logic is doing it with two 210s. ( the thought of two Hartke Hydrive 210s giving 1000w that bit closer to your ears...)