Why become a member? ×

Is this still classified as bass playing?

PawelG

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1495007831' post='3300302']To me, being able to keep a solid groove in the pocket is the reason I started playing bass.
[/quote]

Me too. But a bass guitar is just a musical instrument - how people choose to use it is up to them. Life's rich tapestry and all that... :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1495008488' post='3300307']

Me too. But a bass guitar is just a musical instrument - how people choose to use it is up to them. Life's rich tapestry and all that... :)
[/quote]

Yes, that's the beauty in this whole thing called music.

I never knew that bass playing required being "classified". ;)

The playing in the clip either floats your boat or it does not. It would be a boring old world if we all liked the exact same things.

Personally, I thought the playing was skilful, but not my cup of tea.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1495010630' post='3300334']
I never knew that bass playing required being "classified". ;)

The playing in the clip either floats your boat or it does not. It would be a boring old world if we all liked the exact same things.

Personally, I thought the playing was skilful, but not my cup of tea.
[/quote]

That is exactly why I opened the thread - to hear opinions about this particular clip. Insanely fast and I totally understand some people my love the whole thing, some people my find something interesting, inspiring, whatever. I did not mean to take anything away from Mr. Pilichowski, I think he is a monster bass player.

And please forgive me about the sarcasm in the title, it was late and obviously did not work as intended :-)

When I started Duck Dunn and Bill Wyman were the inspirations for most of the bass players on the planet.

Bass playing has come along way, melodically, technically and every other way you can come up with.

I started ahead of the bass game and saw it race past and leave me in the dust in about 1973. I'd like to have kept up but I'm just better at being what I was back then. Doesn't stop me appreciating others who have a different take on bass playing. From Adam Clayton and Dusty Hill to Wojtek and our own Spoombung it's all good. Bass playing just gets better and better.

I think that bass guitar, electric bass or whatever you want to call it, is an incredibly versatile instrument. Double bass can be too, there are some phenomenal double bassists around with incredible technique, making some astounding music.

It can be used in it's traditional role of course, but it's capable of far, far more than that. I think that should be applauded. How many on here are influenced by Mark King, Geddy Lee, John Entwhistle, Flea or Jaco?

Each of them are great players, but each has pushed at the boundary of what bass does.

I recently played at an event with 3 other solo bassists. Each had his own voice on the instrument, and each approached 'solo bass' from their own direction.

The highlight for me was Steve Lawson. I studied with him for a few years, he's been an incredible influence for me. Everyone knows him and what he does, so there's no need here for a description.

There was a guy called Dave Clarke who's played with an amazing array of artists. His approach was from a groove perspective. He was playing with a fantastic keyboard player. Check out Youtube for the Rowberry Clarke project. He was amazing, just bass and electric piano, some amazing music, some fantastic grooves.

Another guy, again someone who's playing I love, was using solo bass in an accompaniment setting, with a female singer. Songs with bass backing, fantastic and beautiful.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1495012914' post='3300367']Steve Lawson... Everyone knows him and what he does, so there's no need here for a description.
[/quote]

Sorry - I've never heard of him. :blush:

I rather liked it although it does get a bit extreme towards the end. And of course it's bass playing - in the same way as Mark King or Victor Wooton. The vast majority of us can only dream of such mastery of an instrument.

Fantastic slap bass groove all through I thought. There may be an issue of flash over taste on this particular example but it is intended to be an instrument demo - it has similarities with some of Mark King in the 80s/90s.

For those of you who think people (and particularly women) don't dance to slap bass grooves you've obviously never been to a Level 42 concert.

What a lovely looking bass as well.

I think I've said it before, the only people I seem to come across who have a downer on slap bass are other bass players, and many I meet/know haven't found the inclination or taken the trouble to learn the technique.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1495011967' post='3300356']

In those embarrassing situations where someone​ hands you a bass and says "you're good, play something" that's basically what's expected, and I wish I could do it that well and get back to drinking, no questions asked!

[/quote]

Yup, I feel sure I would hate that if anyone were ever so foolish as to look at me and say "you're good, play something".

Don't worry - that ain't [i][b]never [/b][/i]going to happen.

:lol:

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1495013598' post='3300383']
What a lovely looking bass as well.
[/quote]

One of these I believe... (but with four strings obviously...)

[url="https://www.public-peace.de/maruszczyk-instruments/mi-bass/frog"]https://www.public-p...ts/mi-bass/frog[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1495008488' post='3300307']
[/quote]

This plus 1000 -- Do Your own thing "Mannnn"

And to Blue many electric bass players were pushing the boundaries in the 70's, starting point Colin Hodgkinson, Stanley Clark, John Entwistle, Anthony Jackson ... et. al.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494984740' post='3300221']

Depends on genre and generation. If your a part of the new direction of bass then groove is no longer important.

Me, I'm still happy living and stuck in the 70s.

Blue
[/quote]

Me, Im happy stuck in the 50's . You had to play Fender bass with a plectrum or you were considered to be a communist.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1495018571' post='3300452']
One of these I believe... (but with four strings obviously...)

[url="https://www.public-peace.de/maruszczyk-instruments/mi-bass/frog"]https://www.public-p...ts/mi-bass/frog[/url]

[/quote]

I know its subjective, but that looks like baked vomit.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1495028505' post='3300619']
I think this is not a video about bass playing, to me it clearly looks like a demo video for the Maruszczyk Pi bass he's playing and, from the look of it, endorsing with a signature model. It's all about the bass, not the player.
[/quote]

That's the point people are missing.

Wojtek is just messing on that clip, I am sure we have all done it at home.
A bit of freedom with the tempo, pushing, pulling, breathing, movement, that's what folks do when in solo form.

When playing with others, he seems to fit the bill quite well, it seems.
(I enjoy his playing).

http://youtu.be/VVnehUZJlxA