Why become a member? ×

More kick drum blowing your eardrums in the mix moaning.

spectoremg

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1502756965' post='3353350']

ludicrously compressed music being acceptable through digital media and becoming the norm,

Rant over - I do like the idea of the A in PA meaning address rather than amplifier!!
[/quote]

File compression and audio compression are not the same thing.

The A has always meant Address.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1502781407' post='3353399']

File compression and audio compression are not the same thing.

The A has always meant Address.
[/quote]

I meant the compression effect on modern music created on digital platforms, creating a lower standard of audio quality.

I think most of us know A in PA = address. I was referring to the joke earlier in the thread that the A appears to mean amplification (as opposed to broadening) the sound of some instruments - notably the bass drum.

Edited by drTStingray

• 2 weeks later...

Me again.
Victorious Festival, Southsea last night.
The Silver Beatles: iffy choice of songs, spot on playing and scouse accents and they're now the Fab Five (full time keyboard player).
The Charlatans: never was a band name so fitting - why are they popular?
Madness: very entertaining, Mark Bedford* note perfect and he's switched back to a Precision I think.
But let me get back to the point of the thread. Two further stages of disco dross and and local band dross with that good 'ole sub bass pedal to the metal adding up to a relentless five hour ear bashing.
*Mark's and the Madness sound was actually very good.

I love loud kick and bass... it tells you that you are at a gig... and feeling the gig through your body is something that you generally don't get at home.

There is a caveat though... it has to be tight bass, not mushy bass. I'm talking about pinning the fundamental of the kick and not boosting all the mush frequencies around it.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1503752090' post='3360716']
I love loud kick and bass... it tells you that you are at a gig... and feeling the gig through your body is something that you generally don't get at home.

There is a caveat though... it has to be tight bass, not mushy bass. I'm talking about pinning the fundamental of the kick and not boosting all the mush frequencies around it.
[/quote]
Absolutely bang on. A bit of kick through the pa with a boost at 60hz really hits you in the chest and mixing that with the bass gives you the basis of a great gig. After all its live music and should be something you can feel as well as hear. Problem is many people don't know where to boost and cut.

I was at Silverstone this weekend. At the campsite the bands in the big top had loud bass drum and bass. The vocals were fine. The guitars were lost for the most part until the sound guy realised you need to hear their solos and slightly raised the volume. Overall it was quite annoying.

Edited by mep

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1503905366' post='3361380']
I was at Silverstone this weekend. At the campsite the bands in the big top had loud bass drum and bass the vocals were fine. The guitars were lost for the most part until the sound guy realised you need to hear their solos and slightly raised the volume. Overall it was quite annoying.
[/quote]
That's nothing to do with loud lower frequencies... just a sh1t soundman behind the desk!

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1503853527' post='3361187']

Absolutely bang on. A bit of kick through the pa with a boost at 60hz really hits you in the chest and mixing that with the bass gives you the basis of a great gig. After all its live music and should be something you can feel as well as hear. Problem is many people don't know where to boost and cut.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with this - up to a point - but it requires restraint on the part of the drummer. Kick drum is an oft misused thing. It also depends on the genre - If you have a drummer with one of those double bass drum pedal thingys who likes to show off with the occasional roll on it, it can be a nightmare - the drummer equivalent of having a guitarist who plays like full on Slash on everything - including Ed Sheeran songs.

Last night at our gig (a large pub) I must confess to getting a little peeved with our (new) drummer and sound person at sound check - the bass drum PA sound was boomy (in fact it was a large and boomy bass drum anyway so needed cut), and he was also in the monitors (inexplicably). This plays havoc in trying to play groove based funk music as it tends to drown out any intricacies of the groove construction between different instruments. I'd played an outdoor gig earlier with a different band where the sound was excellent - anyway we sorted it out but I confess to having pointed out that unless I was mistaken, 76 Trombones hadn't been added to our set list and we weren't planning to do marching music as a part of the set so what's with the loud sub sonic boom in the kick? It was remixed to a thud and deleted from the monitors (which meant everyone else in the band could hear what they were playing without it being over powered by subsonic boom mush). Anyway it was sorted amicably to everyone's satisfaction and a good gig was had by all.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1503908868' post='3361401']

That's nothing to do with loud lower frequencies... just a sh1t soundman behind the desk!
[/quote]

Indeed. But the loud bass drum was threatening to rearrange my insides. My son who is a drummer says he hears about this problem a lot too.