Why become a member? ×

Hello from the Midlands

Scorpion King

Always loved the sound of the bass.
Inspired by J.J. Burnell (Stranglers), I saved up and bought my first bass in the 80s, a P copy.
Played in my room for a few years before peaking with two gigs at college.
Spent the next 25 years just noodling, learning parts of songs, no real progression.

Last year, after talking to a friend at a party, who used to play guitar in a band, we started to rehearse covers (Foo, Feeder, Hard-Fi, Royal Blood, Green Day, Razorlight etc). The guitarist is really good and we now have an excellent drummer so I am working hard to improve my chops while looking for gigs.

Taking lessons to learn different techniques and styles. Using the Rockschool bass exams to structure some of my practice and expose me to styles of music I would not normally learn (e.g. funk). Now 52, I cannot practice enough as I only have c.30 years to get half decent!

I have a both a Fender Precision & and a Jazz and love them both … if I was forced to choose, I prefer the wider, flat neck of the P. I also have a couple of really nice vintage Burns bass guitars including a Scorpion from the 1980s (hence my profile name) and a 1664 Bison. Always wanted a proper bass rig so bought an awesome Marshall VBA 400w valve monster with a 4x12 cab; it is heavy but OMG does it sound nice!

I like the look and sound of Sandberg and Dingwall’s fanned fret basses so trying to resist the GAS.

Tom