Why become a member? ×

Bass lines that really flick yer switch!

bottomfeed

As well as all those previously posted, I don't know quite what it is about it, but Barry White's 'You're My First, My last, My Everything' is such a catchy song with a simple bass line. When played at functions it's a floor-filler and makes me feel good either listening to it or playing it.

Hamster

For the uninitiated among you, grab anything by Michael Franti & Spearhead - Carl Young's bass work is just perfect. Check out the "Stay Human" album for some marvellous soul/funk grooves that certainly, um, "flick my switch".

Right now I am mostly listening to the frighteningly cool basswork on "The Message" by Cymande. Yum.

[quote name='Chop' post='35940' date='Jul 23 2007, 02:53 PM']Thank You (Falletin me be Mice Elf Agen) the Magazine version off the Correct Use of Soap. Barry Andrews I think it was...

Chop[/quote]

I really like the bass line on 'Song from under the floorboards' too. Other faves of mine are Norman Watt-Roy on Ian Dury's 'Hit me with your rhythm stick', Jean-Jacques Burnel on the Stranglers' 'Walk on By' and the bass line to Bill Withers 'Lovely day'-simple but effective.

Here we go...

Jaco - Liberty City and Three Views of a Secret - classic

Kyle Eastwood (yes - son of Clint) - Big Noise from Winnetka - this guy can solo for fun as well as lay it down - great live too
(he also does a cool version of Every Little Thing She Does too - on his NOW album)

Gordon Goodwins Big Phat Band - The Jazz Police - driving - then funky half time under the solos and really tricky key change...
Gordon Goodwins Big Phat Band - A Few Good Men - great groove - lots of phrasing with the band.

Victor Wooten with Bela Fleck and the Flecktone - Big Country (Live at the Quick) - awesome, and what a great fretless sound...

Marcus Miller with David Sanborn - Soul Serenade - so simply yet so effective

Joe Satriani - Always with me always with you - again simple and really effective

I could go on but that'll do for now :)

[quote name='Chop' post='35940' date='Jul 23 2007, 02:53 PM']Thank You (Falletin me be Mice Elf Agen) the Magazine version off the Correct Use of Soap. Barry Andrews I think it was...

Chop[/quote]
Barry Adamson. A really superb and underrated bassist, the reason I got myself an Ovation Magnum. He does some fine solo stuff now, and has his own website.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - too many to count! (notably from BSSM, Soul To Squeeze, Mellowship Slinky, Naked In The Rain, My lovely Man, Give it away... the whole album in fact!).
Tool - Many.
Jamiroquai - Many. I haven't learned the lines, but they really tickle my bass bones.
Mavin Gaye - What's going on.
Faith No More - Surprise! You're dead!
Meshuggah - New Millenium Cyanide Christ (Hard to play! That gets my pick technique in overdrive).

Breaking the rules by Robbie Robertson (off the Storyville album). Not sure who plays it but it's a fine example of understatement and filling the gaps with 1 or 2 notes. Sends shivvers down my spine.

And then there's Peg by Steely Dan (bassline by Chuck Rainey)- absolute joy on 4 strings!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='37293' date='Jul 26 2007, 12:53 PM']Breaking the rules by Robbie Robertson (off the Storyville album). Not sure who plays it but it's a fine example of understatement and filling the gaps with 1 or 2 notes. Sends shivvers down my spine.[/quote]

While I know Guy Pratt played on that album, apparently someone called Robert Bell played on that track.

[quote name='jay249' post='37523' date='Jul 26 2007, 08:39 PM']Safe From Harm - Massive Attack, probably someone else's line sampled but i love it in the context of that track

In fact, most MA[/quote]

Sampled from "Stratus" by Billy Cobham - find/buy/download the track as its an instrumental classic. Bass was by Lee Sklar - yes, that guy with the huge beard who used to play for Phil Collins (and who happens to be a session king)...

• 1 month later...