Why become a member? ×

Bass lines that really flick yer switch!

bottomfeed

What bass lines have been inspirational to you?

"Funk the dumb stuff" - Tower of Power (Rocco Prestia)

"Ish" - Brand x (Percy Jones)

"stay" - Meshell Ndegeocello

are three that have got my bass bone quivering recently!........

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='Mike' post='32622' date='Jul 16 2007, 06:13 PM']How about Jamiriquai's "Runaway" and "Don't give Hate a chance"?[/quote]

Amen on "Don't give Hate a chance", worked it out by ear and is so fun to play along with.

For me:

Redefine, Deep Inside - Incubus
Happy?, Not Falling, Nothing to Gein - Mudvayne
If I Like it...I Do it, Virtual Insanity, Just another Story - Jamiroquai
Skies of the Millenium Night - Sikth
Teen Town - Weather Report

Probally countless others but they are the main ones that do make me go "Ooo errr" everytime I listen to them.

I tried hard to think of one that wasn't obvious for me and it has to be Dreaming From The Waist by The Who on The Maximum R&B boxset. Wonderful example of The Ox being The Ox.

Edited by Sean

In a departure from my usual selection, todays choice will be the awesome playing on Thomas Lang's version of the classic "Me and Mrs Jones." The bass is right in your face all the way through. "Mwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh" like it is urging to get out of the speakers and onto your lap!

[quote name='Bullet-Rule' post='32748' date='Jul 16 2007, 10:02 PM']I have to agree with the guy that said Mudvayne. Happy? has been pretty inspirational for me and Rage against the Machine songs such as Killing in the Name and Bombtrack really get me going. They're simple but I love 'em.[/quote]

Ryan Martinie makes Mudvayne! Any Mudvayne song will have a bassline that has me salivating and the ones I listed are only a select few.

Obvious but ...

The Real Me - The Who
What is Hip? - TOP
I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin
So What - Miles Davis
Town Called Malice - The Jam

Blimey! I'm showing my age a bit there. I do actually listen to music that's more modern than the early 80s. Honest!

some great stuff mentioned..... & others I haven't heard of that I will check out..

had a bit of a nostalgia trip recently....
one of the 1st things I heard that made me wanna pick up a bass was "Space Ritual" by Hawkwind... double live album in the days when there was lost of stuff to look at on the sleeve... (vinyl sleeves...mmmmmm!)

I love the primitive vibe still!.... & Lemmy does a great job of driving it along :) "orgone accumilator" "Brainstorm" & "Lord of light" great tracks! :huh: