Why become a member? ×

stolen gear found - advice needed

Bassmonkey

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1494944069' post='3299823']
Something I do when I buy new items, I just bought some new Genelec monitors for example. I always keep the boxes for everything, and I keep the receipt for the item in the box, up in the loft. I always make sure that the serial number is written on the receipt too.
[/quote]
Good call. But most of my gear is bought paying cash, BACS or PainPal. I think I'll take up keeping photographs and photograph the serial numbers too. Then keep the images on a OneDrive folder.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494950299' post='3299897']
Good call. But most of my gear is bought paying cash, BACS or PainPal. I think I'll take up keeping photographs and photograph the serial numbers too. Then keep the images on a OneDrive folder.
[/quote]

Good idea. I guess the serial number is the important thing.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1494946897' post='3299867']
And that is of course exactly how it should be dealt with.

So for all of you who claim that CC are a bunch of crooks and routinely knowingly handle stolen goods, I am an ex CC manager and we ALWAYS wound up losing whatever we had paid for anything that showed up stolen when the real owner came in and claimed them.
[/quote]

I'm not disputing that you don't return the goods, the guy on here last time went in with the police and the police and the store were more than familiar with the seller.

If you've done all your checks properly you can then take the seller to court.

not stolen basses, but a friend of mine had a load of stuff stored in a garage in between moving house - all her CDs and DVDs - and opened the door one morning to find that they'd all disappeared. The police came round and told her to make a list of what had been taken and circulate it to all the local Cash Converters, etc.

Their records for what they have bought and from whom are very good, so if they've bought the exact ten/fifty/three hundred CDs that you had stolen yesterday then that's likely to be enough evidence that it's your stuff if push comes to shove. As Ivansc says, CC don't want a reputation with the Police for being fences so respond professionally, and she got a very polite response when she popped into her local shop, and they said they'd keep an eye out for anybody coming in with stuff on the list.

That said, she didn't get any of it back (but it did make her want to join the Police)

Without giving too much away, I put small marks in obscure places and photograph them. So I may put two numbers from my postcode or similar on the back of a pick up cover or behind a tuner etc. Nothing massive but it helps to make identifying it definite. I had the misfortune to have some motorbike parts stolen a few years back and got them back because I had had to adapt the exhaust hangers and had written a measurement on the back of one in marker which I could describe to the Police so now do something similar routinely. On the Capri I am restoring every single part is marked in one way or another and some identifying marks are sealed/ welded in. It's a pain but worth the effort.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1494886043' post='3299388']
No they should hold it as soon as you advise, as it isn't theirs to sell once they know

Give it to them in the form of a letter
[/quote]

this - make sure you quote any crime reference number you have from when you reported it and advise them in writing that you have documentation to verify your ownership - they should hold it - if they dont then they are handling stolen goods if you have shown them proof of ownership and the theft - they will not want to do this as they make a big PR deal out of cooperating with police forces countrywide regarding stolen property

[url="https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/press/cash-converters-crack-down-on-stolen-goods/"]https://www.cashconv...n-stolen-goods/[/url]

also a general point for anybody not already aware is worthwhile registering all your serial numbers on this site as in the unfortunate event of theft it helps authorities restore recovered property much faster if they can trace the owner easily

[url="https://www.immobilise.com"]https://www.immobilise.com[/url]

did you claim on insurance? if so doesnt it become the property of the insurers if later found? not sure on this if you were insured/claimed you may need to check with insurers am guessing prob not as cant see any mention above

Edited by steve-bbb

Hopefully you can prove they are yours other than just by an unusual roqsolid cover. My stepson had a load of fishing gear nicked. He found some in CC. The police found out who sold it fton CCTV. They were familiar with him. My stepson was asked if he could prove they were his. He said he could get the shop to vouch for the stuff he bought from him. That wasn't enough. The shop kept the gear and the thief got away with it. They are legalised fences

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1494966358' post='3300107']
I claimed. The claim was declined. No sign of violent break in. Any returned goods are mine. Still waiting with fingers crossed. Update to follow once I liaise with the police. Andy
[/quote]
Sounds good. Good luck
[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1494966997' post='3300117']
Hopefully you can prove they are yours other than just by an unusual roqsolid cover. My stepson had a load of fishing gear nicked. He found some in CC. The police found out who sold it fton CCTV. They were familiar with him. My stepson was asked if he could prove they were his. He said he could get the shop to vouch for the stuff he bought from him. That wasn't enough. The shop kept the gear and the thief got away with it. They are legalised fences
[/quote]
The original Police Incident report from the reporting of the theft should go a long way - otherwise it would be an amazing coincidence to have reported the gear stolen some days/weeks/months back and now finding stuff meeting the same description in a local CC shop.
The OP must have reported it for the original insurance claim, even though they didn't pay out.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1494966358' post='3300107']
I claimed. The claim was declined. No sign of violent break in. Any returned goods are mine. Still waiting with fingers crossed. Update to follow once I liaise with the police. Andy
[/quote]
I take it they were stolen from a vehicle?

May be worth us all taking a step back to the Car ownership example, where the log book does not prove ownership you are the keeper. The scrappy piece of paper that says Received from J.Smith £3k for Car reg ABC123A is what counts

We should and i have done, but more recently got out of the habit of asking for a receipt when buying large items say a Bass at £2000. mainly for tax returns but knowing this receipt showed i was the rightful owner at this time.

Lets face it how many basses and cabs on here have been owned by 3,4,5 of us and all past owners have pictures and written down serial numbers ?? :) :ph34r: :(

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1494966997' post='3300117']
[/quote]

I can. There is no doubt. The police agree

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494967465' post='3300119']
Sounds good. Good luck

The original Police Incident report from the reporting of the theft should go a long way - otherwise it would be an amazing coincidence to have reported the gear stolen some days/weeks/months back and now finding stuff meeting the same description in a local CC shop.
The OP must have reported it for the original insurance claim, even though they didn't pay out.
[/quote]

Exactly this. The original police report and subsequent insurance claim gave full details of the stolen items. There is no doubt these are mine.

I bought a fretless electric guitar about 15 yrs ago from Cash Converters and paid good money for it. Anyway having not seen a guitar like this before I contacted the manufacturer and included the serial number hoping they would tell me something about the instrument.
Sure did, they said it was a prototype and belonged to them. They had loaned it to the guitarist from a big name rock band and said I should return it to them.
I contacted a friend, who was a serving police officer at the time, and was told that i should contact the company telling them how I acquired the guitar and suggest to them that if they think the guitar belongs to them and has been "stolen", they should report it to the police and they will take it from there. She also advised me at the time not to sell it. [size=4]I never heard anything back from the company and still have the guitar.[/size]

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1495009066' post='3300318']
May be worth us all taking a step back to the Car ownership example, where the log book does not prove ownership you are the keeper. The scrappy piece of paper that says Received from J.Smith £3k for Car reg ABC123A is what counts

We should and i have done, but more recently got out of the habit of asking for a receipt when buying large items say a Bass at £2000. mainly for tax returns but knowing this receipt showed i was the rightful owner at this time.

Lets face it how many basses and cabs on here have been owned by 3,4,5 of us and all past owners have pictures and written down serial numbers ?? :) :ph34r: :(
[/quote]
Good point.

Maybe those here with no documents should create a set of documentary evidence for identifying our collection of "keepers" and get a friendly solicitor, policemen or similar to sign as a witness that on x-date you are/were the owner of this bass(es).

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1495013458' post='3300379']
Good point.

Maybe those here with no documents should create a set of documentary evidence for identifying our collection of "keepers" and get a friendly solicitor, policemen or similar to sign as a witness that on x-date you are/were the owner of this bass(es).
[/quote]

All my gear is insured so I have documents showing serial numbers, but as belt and braces once insurer (Allianz I think) sent me uv marker pens to put postcodes on all the gear. Have to confess I've never done it, but being able to demonstrate that when you shine a uv lamp your name and post code appear is likely to be fairly good proof it's yours.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1495013458' post='3300379']
Good point.

[/quote]

A sensible practice would be too scan copies of these documents to yourself at both your personal and work email address. that way, if someone breaks in to your house and steals your basses and your PC then you can still access the details when you login to either email account.

Gear returned to me. Result. Had a short interview. Signed for it and out in 30 mins. The police explained there's little chance of charges being brought but will interview the suspect. Unless they admit the theft, it'll be closed down. It lo Is like it's been in a garage. Have cleaned everything and the amp still works. I am very happy. I have asked for a severe penalty should the scrote admit to the theft.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1495555365' post='3304766']
Gear returned to me. Result. Had a short interview. Signed for it and out in 30 mins. The police explained there's little chance of charges being brought but will interview the suspect. Unless they admit the theft, it'll be closed down. It lo Is like it's been in a garage. Have cleaned everything and the amp still works. I am very happy. I have asked for a severe penalty should the scrote admit to the theft. ��
[/quote]
Excellent result!

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1495017314' post='3300435']
All my gear is insured so I have documents showing serial numbers, but as belt and braces once insurer (Allianz I think) sent me uv marker pens to put postcodes on all the gear.
[/quote]
And make a note to self: never perform again under UV light, or you'll have all the punters looking at you, just to read your postcode that's written all over your gear. :P