Why become a member? ×

1979 Musicman Sabre bass 2 eq, heavy wear. SOLD
£1200

tommorichards

Woah! you again. By now, you've looked at 2 of Leos offerings, and been absolutely repulsed by them. Good on you. They're terrible. Leo made a big mistake when he did Fender. You know what he did right? Musicman. Yes, him did that thing. You know what you get when you multiply a Fender Precision and a Fender Jazz together?

This. The amazing Musicman SABRE bass. Not that smelly stingray bass everyone seems to love. This. Its got 2 pickups like a jazz, but they're bigger, which means even more for your money. You know what else this has that those stinky fenders don't? A freakin PREAMP. Yes, onboard electrics. Did i mention that this is from 1979? I know, i didn't even think they knew what electronics were back then. But this was one of the first basses out there that came with a production preamp.

But you don't need to know the details about that. You need to know them about this bass. Let me start by quietly informing you that he has had a rough past. Not all his guardians treated him very nicely. They poked and prodded him, broke a switch, re jiggled his insides, and even changed the colour of his skin, the sick bastards. But I've managed to have him in a nice stable home so he can recover from his traumas. He's all well again, ready to be taken out and played with gusto, which is all any bass ever wanted. None of this "i'll keep him locked in a cage until he can make me some money" That's a slave sir, and i spit on you.

This guy screams well played, players guitar, all those buzz words that mean he's comfortable to hug and play. He's got scars, such as the lacquer on the fretboard, but that doesn't stop him. Yeah he's got some chrome bubbling, but he works dammit. That 2 band EQ turns him from a dub freak to a heavy metal bastard with the turn of a knob or flick of a switch. You whisper funk to him, he'll go beserk and make the funkiest noise you never knew you could encounter.

(for those intreguied by his array of controls when all you've ever seen is a precision, here we go, in order of bridge to neck:
-knobs- bass, treble, volume
-switches- treble boost, phase, pickups selector
Everything works as it should, knobs, screws, and switches)

Now you know what you're dealing with, you may come and inspect this curious beast, poke him with your fingers or plectrums or even thumbs. He loves it all. Just try not to break his heart if you walk away without him.

TL:DR

1979 Musicman Sabre Bass w/ 2 band eq & bright switch, heavy wear. £1200

Edited by tommorichards

Loving the mojo on this. Not one for folks who insist on brand new appearance on used basses. 'Is that a spec of dust I see on that used bass?' Bah! Bump for a great bass.

Edited by julesb

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1495097276' post='3301185']
You're not the author of that brilliant letter of complaint to Virgin about their in-flight food are you? :-)
[/quote]

Im not sure ive read it. But sadly, no. Ive not been allowed on their planes since i turned 16 ;)

That's a lovely bass.

Been watching some BBC4 programmes recently that featured Culture Club on TOTP. What caught my eye was the bass player using a Sabre in this colour combination.

Awesome basses, Leo's finest IMHO though I'm sure G&L afficionados would dispute :) If you're looking for a total slap monster then look no further!
I had an '80 model that I stupidly sold - so tempted by this......I assume it was originally white, judging by the worn areas?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1496523927' post='3312139']
Ill have a check on weight when i get home. If you google it, then youll probably get a fairly accurate figure.

With regards to the finish, i dont think they did white. However, i dont know what its original colour was.
[/quote]
I'm guessing that's the undercoat. I'm sure I read once that a lot of basses were actually oversprayed at the factory if they needed a certain finish for an order. I.e. black over sunburst.