Why become a member? ×

Pick vs Fingers - Strap length

gs_triumph

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1494889776' post='3299414']
I reread that and it sounded like I was saying put 2 straplocks on the bass. . . what I meant was keep the button on the bass (in the usual place) and put 2 locks on the strap.
[/quote]

Even better!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1494913008' post='3299438']
Many straps have 2 holes on the tail end about 4" apart, could you not make use of these if you really need to be adjusting your bass height?
Reading chris b's post, I think he's suggesting the same, but with strap locks.

I don't adjust my bass height regardless of playing fingers (which is the majority these days), slapping or with pick. The bass is the same height whether sitting or standing. Bellybutton at the middle of the bass.
[/quote]

You are lucky to be proportioned that way. The crowning achievement would be for you to arrange a belly button bearing attachment to your guitar that allows subtle guitar rotation in the style of ZZ Top.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494916421' post='3299465']
Hooky.

Mind you he said in interview that he might have reconsidered his strap length now that he suffers with his shoulder and neck. He was THE lowest of the low slung bassists of my era. It is an impressive look for the stage but I often wondered if he ever sat and practised at "normal" height when no one was looking.
[/quote]

Super low + 65(!) gauge G string. Eventually he wimped out and went for a 60. That's a very physical approach to playing.

I've recently moved mine lower (belt buckle mid-bass) after years of using a fixed length strap that seemed perfect for me at sort of lower chest height. I was having problems with right hand wrist angle when playing fast with fingers. I'm short though and it's always going to involve a compromise.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494916421' post='3299465']
Hooky.

Mind you he said in interview that he might have reconsidered his strap length now that he suffers with his shoulder and neck. He was THE lowest of the low slung bassists of my era. It is an impressive look for the stage but I often wondered if he ever sat and practised at "normal" height when no one was looking.
[/quote]I practice sitting down but sort of sit on the edge of the chair so the strap is at full length with bass on my thighs, if I practice the normal way sitting down my wrist starts to ache very quickly, I guess I've adjusted my style to allow for a low slung bass (I play pick only)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494932401' post='3299650']
I play pretty much an equal amount of plectrum & fingerstyle & have never felt the need to adjust my strap. I found a height that suited me for both & left it at that.
[/quote]

Yip same here.

Same here..... and I was never comfortable with the bass up high like slap players, just found it very uncomfortable. Logical thinking would suggest it should be lower for playing with fingers as you can reach further with an open hand than you can making a fist to hold a plec.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494916878' post='3299472']
You are lucky to be proportioned that way. The crowning achievement would be for you to arrange a belly button bearing attachment to your guitar that allows subtle guitar rotation in the style of ZZ Top.
[/quote]
You mean one of these? Just need to build up my core strength.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1494923913' post='3299544']
I practice sitting down but sort of sit on the edge of the chair so the strap is at full length with bass on my thighs, if I practice the normal way sitting down my wrist starts to ache very quickly, I guess I've adjusted my style to allow for a low slung bass (I play pick only)
[/quote]

Both of my "paddle" guitars have a flip out leg to help with playing when sat down. Still, I have to do what you do and for that reason I seldom sit while playing. I don't adjust strap length between the two though. So far I'm managing the small amount of pick practice that I do fine. It's worth bearing this topic in mind however if I start to do serious playing time.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1494936361' post='3299711']
You mean one of these? Just need to build up my core strength.

[/quote]

Yup. But I am not sure about where the second one should go... I suppose folk might pay extra to see. I'm not [i]that[/i] broke yet.

PS; Are you saying those are what I was joking about only they're real?

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1494889776' post='3299414']
I reread that and it sounded like I was saying put 2 straplocks on the bass. . . what I meant was keep the button on the bass (in the usual place) and put 2 locks on the strap.
[/quote]

cheers, I was thinking along those lines :D

I'm going to give the longer strap a shot before any further strap locks are applied

Edited by gs_triumph

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494939453' post='3299760']
Yup. But I am not sure about where the second one should go... I suppose folk might pay extra to see. I'm not [i]that[/i] broke yet.

PS; Are you saying those are what I was joking about only they're real?
[/quote]
The threaded end goes into the back of the bass. The 2nd one is for the lady bassist who might want more stability (I'm sure there's a male version with a hoop instead of a ball).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1494958503' post='3300004']
The threaded end goes into the back of the bass. The 2nd one is for the lady bassist who might want more stability (I'm sure there's a male version with a hoop instead of a ball).

[/quote][attachment=245452:BoggleEyed.png]

As someone said in an earlier post, get one of those straps with a 2 position "rear" strap, then set it up for an acceptable height for both pick & fingers.

I always used to have mine slung low when I played with a pick, but the down side was having your fretting hand at a weird angle. The bass height has raised a bit over the years, but it's now at a more sensible (comfortable!) level, especially as I'm now playing with my fingers. I lowered the strap by 1 notch the other week at rehearsal to make it easier on my playing wrist, and had to put it back up the next week because my fretting hand was sore. Can't win! :D

Edited by Skybone

Learned from Bert Weedon to set the strap for the height the bass or guitar is at when sitting balanced on your right thigh. Done it the same way since the early 70's and always found it comfortable. That position keeps the wrists at straighter angles, which is helpful with avoiding tendon and wrist strain issues :) no change of height for fingers or pick

I don't use a pick as such but use my thumb in same style as if i was holding a pick even to point my index finger sits against mt thumb end.
Because i started doing this while preferring fingerstyle i never bothered moving my bass. I have more or less had my bass at same position for 40yrs.
It sits approx with neck just above my belt line or waistband depending on your preference.
I've tried playing it higher but never lower and always seemed more comfortable where i've always played it.

Is it possible its more a fashion thing that you've seen many bassist play it lower and that's how it should be done. Phil Lynott played his bass higher than most with a pick.
Other bassists that use both tend to have their bass at mid-point - John Wetton, Nick Beggs i believe is same and there will be a few others.

Try and find a happy medium and you should get used to it.

Dave

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1494878368' post='3299283']
High is never cool.
Never.
[/quote]

+1 on that! Look at [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U1SiIWuZeE"]David J's playing[/url], he manages to keep things nice and low whilst using fingers.

Edited by Yukimajou