Why become a member? ×

Feedback? A Guitarist playing Bass ;)

CTO

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Hey Bass Community[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]I'm new here, I'm actually a guitarist but I love playing the bass ;) I started producing music recently and if you want to feedback on my bass playing i would appreciate it![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][url="https://soundcloud.com/cto-7/cto-feat-sibyl-hofstetter-shes-got-that-sparkle"]https://soundcloud.c...ot-that-sparkle[/url][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][url="https://soundcloud.com/cto-7/cto-feat-sibyl-hofstetter-plasm"]https://soundcloud.c...ofstetter-plasm[/url][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]hope you enjoy it[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]thank you - cheers[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]theo[/size][/font][/color]

Good morning, Theo...

Yes; as above, good stuff there, and there's nowt wrong with your tasteful bass playing. Indeed, all the instruments are more than well executed, with maybe a special mention for the vocals..? Shades of Sade there (that's a compliment...). Any downside..? Well, yes, actually; I was less fond of the overly harsh 'lo-fi' drums. My hearing is especially 'shot' in the mid-to-upper ranges, but even with that I had to turn it down quite a bit, as I found it too aggressive and rasping. It's probably just me, though, as the overall production and mixing is otherwise top-notch. Altogether, then, a 'thumbs up', with just a touch of reserve on the drums sound. Well done to all involved.

Both tracks excellent. Fabulous arrangement and Sibyl Hofstetter has a wonderful voice.

I'm going to echo what Dad3353 said though, in that I found the low-fi elements a little harsh, and would have personally felt a cleaner, smoother mix would have suited the vocals and the compositions more. Just a personal opinion of course, and not enough to put me off a couple of great tracks.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1494752831' post='3298253']
Sure you're not a bass player who plays guitar? You really do know how to play bass. Good stuff.
[/quote]
Hey BassBus, thanks! I earn my money with playing and teaching the guitar - that's why I see myself as a guitarist. ;)
Thanks!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1494754203' post='3298266']
Good morning, Theo...

Yes; as above, good stuff there, and there's nowt wrong with your tasteful bass playing. Indeed, all the instruments are more than well executed, with maybe a special mention for the vocals..? Shades of Sade there (that's a compliment...). Any downside..? Well, yes, actually; I was less fond of the overly harsh 'lo-fi' drums. My hearing is especially 'shot' in the mid-to-upper ranges, but even with that I had to turn it down quite a bit, as I found it too aggressive and rasping. It's probably just me, though, as the overall production and mixing is otherwise top-notch. Altogether, then, a 'thumbs up', with just a touch of reserve on the drums sound. Well done to all involved.
[/quote]

Thanks for your critique! I will think about it in my next tune. I think it's also a matter of taste - some people (like me for example) like this lo-fi sound of sampled drums. actually if you sample from vinyl, often the source is already quite dirty and trashy...
thanks again for your constructive feedback!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1494773576' post='3298425']
Sounds good to me. I like the way you've layered the vocals, very upfront and lush at the same time.
[/quote]
hello MoonBassAplpa. It's such a pleasure working with Sibyl. ;) You put a mic in front of her and she sings twice (or even 6x at the end of the song) the same phrase and i only needet little editing on the voice...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1494786446' post='3298538']
The 2nd tune is also good, but shows perhaps a too-obvious Portishead influence, which I happen to like.
Will you be entering our monthly composition challenge? From what I've heard you will do well!
[/quote]

Yeah I hear often it sounds too portisheadish... It was not on purpose - but of course they influenced me a lot ;)
Do you have a link to the composition challenge? I hear the first time about this - Is this more about a composition or a production?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1494787537' post='3298549']
Both tracks excellent. Fabulous arrangement and Sibyl Hofstetter has a wonderful voice.

I'm going to echo what Dad3353 said though, in that I found the low-fi elements a little harsh, and would have personally felt a cleaner, smoother mix would have suited the vocals and the compositions more. Just a personal opinion of course, and not enough to put me off a couple of great tracks.
[/quote]
Thanks man!

[quote name='CTO' timestamp='1494802777' post='3298667']...
Thanks for your critique!...
[/quote]

[quote name='CTO' timestamp='1494802777' post='3298667']...
Do you have a link to the composition challenge? I hear the first time about this - Is this more about a composition or a production?...
[/quote]

Here you go...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305041-may-composition-challenge-get-writing"]May Composition Challenge - GET WRITING ...[/url]

The idea is to compose a piece, no more than 5 minutes, inspired by the picture, chosen by last month's winner (Chiliwailer, in April...). Have a look at some of the previous months, to get the idea..? Here's the April entries (scroll down a bit to see the links...)...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/304637-april-composition-challenge-voting"]April Composition Challenge entries ...[/url]

... and those for March...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302951-march-composition-challenge-voting"]March Composition Challenge entries ...[/url]

All in a spirit of good, clean fun, with a sprinkling of mutual learning and monthly astonishment at some of the brilliant work that comes up. The fit to the picture is supposed to be the main criteria, but each will have his/her own spin on that. Good production helps, of course, but a good piece will shine through, whatever its technical qualities. Tempted..?

Here you go

Edited by Dad3353

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1496146407' post='3309092']
I'd echo some of the above, very competently done (well done to Sybil also), I wouldn't choose to listen to this style myself but I can appreciate something done well.
[/quote]

hey geek99
nice to hear that! thanks!