Why become a member? ×

Best place to get single strings?

FinnDave

I've checked my Jazz bass after last night's tumble which destroyed the G string of a new set of D'Addario Chromes. I have a full set being delivered this evening, and will change the G ready for tonight's gig, but would like to source a single replacement so I have a complete set of new strings ready for a restring in the future.

Where's the best place to get one (assuming D'Addario actually do them individually)? I looked on strings direct and D'Addario's own site, but my head is a bit fuzzy due to lack of sleep (it'll be even worse after tonight's gig!).

Cheers, and TIA.

I had left the bass on its stand for the tween sets break, and walked a couple of steps away to talk with someone, so my back was to the bass. The guy I was talking with alerted me but I was too late to catch the bass and stand as they fell into the drum kit. G string took the brunt of it and was nearly severed. Minor dents in fingerboard where the strings were forced into contact wit it, but only the G was damaged. Played the rest of the gig with a Precision I had as backup.

Single strings seem very limited. Ive just bought a new set of fender flats which i always use and accidentally cut the G string too short. I now have to buy another pack again just for one string as you cant get single fender flatwounds anywhere 😕

Well, do I ever feel stupid! After getting a full set of strings so I could change the G on my Jazz for last night's gig (mainly because I wanted to have my most recent memory of it a happy one and not the sight of it falling over!) I started to tidy away things this morning.

"Where shall I put the pack of three unused strings?" I thought...not on the shelf with all the used strings I keep 'just in case'....I'll stick then in the drawer with odd bass related bits and pieces....and guess what I found there? TWO unused sets of D'Addario Chromes!! Glad no one will find out how dumb I was yesterday ;)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1494751543' post='3298243']
Well, do I ever feel stupid! After getting a full set of strings so I could change the G on my Jazz for last night's gig (mainly because I wanted to have my most recent memory of it a happy one and not the sight of it falling over!) I started to tidy away things this morning.

"Where shall I put the pack of three unused strings?" I thought...not on the shelf with all the used strings I keep 'just in case'....I'll stick then in the drawer with odd bass related bits and pieces....and guess what I found there? TWO unused sets of D'Addario Chromes!! Glad no one will find out how dumb I was yesterday ;)
[/quote]

Edited by Dad3353

I'm glad to hear that this has been resolved. For reference we produce nearly all of our string sets as separates (the product code for a long scale .045 gauge chrome is [b]CB045[/b]). There are a few online retailers who stock most of the range, even if it's not on their site we can supply them as a special order.

If in doubt please get in touch with me on here or call the UK office on 0191 300 3000.

Thank you for the info, I still need a string as I now have a set of three brand new Chromes...so it's either a new string or buy a three string bass! A second look in my odds and ends drawer showed me how tired I was yesterday, as the unused sets there are round wounds, not flats.

I'll have a search around to see where I can find a single string at a reasonable price.

Cheers!