Why become a member? ×

Fender American pro precision

Micky b

Hi folks,

I've finally scrapped enough cash together for a p bass. I was thinking of trying out the a new American pro.
Has anyone tried these, and have any thoughts regarding build quality and if there worth the doe?

Cheers.

I think they're too pricey

A lot guys seem to love the Marcus Miller Sire V7. $499.00 with gig bag.

It's nothing I'd play (I don't like stacked controls), but the reviews are stellar.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1494442851' post='3296068']
I've not tried a Pro but you can still find the well regarded American Standard which it superseded for substantially less money, so I would look for one of those.
[/quote]
The last American Standard was excellent (or at least the one I tried out was)

I've played one; they're great & the build quality is top notch.

There's nothing about them that is better than the last batch of American Standards (2012-2016) though, I would also be trying to get one of the last stock of American Standards on the cheap but once they're gone the American Pro would probably be my choice for that kind of money if you're buying new. £1500 would go a lot further second hand though.

The American Standards are around a grand at the moment, which is a much better price than the Pro. The biggest differences are: the Pro gives you higher frets - not a good thing for me personally - and the new shape tuning posts, which are nice but they address a bit of a non-issue. There's also a different pickup in them which to me doesn't sound better than the Custom Shop pickups in the AmStd, but that's a matter of personal preference.

In terms of playability and build quality there is no real difference. Both are excellent.

I bought one of the last in circulation in Feb this year, had to settle for an ex demo one. I think that particular boat has sailed by now. I'm so glad I got it though, after a couple of years of being a Fender Anti, I am won over.
The fit and finish, the sound, the action, the way the fretboard edges are rounded..... I could go on!
No idea how the successors are though.

I agree they are over priced. The minor upgrades probably cost fender a couple of quid! In fact I would not be surprised if it was that even. Must work out as pennies.

I like Fender basses in general. Although after setting up a lot of them and previously owning a few myself and have also played a new model. I would say they are all overpriced in general (bass guitars) and the new "pro" models are not substainly better than the older models to warrant such an increase.

Imo there sales and respect would of went up if they had upgraded there models and kept there previous pricing.
I don't know if the increase is the same for all countries however.

The Am Pro P is an ok instrument. The neck shape is lovely, a nice 60s shape and feel. The build and fit is spot on and really is just much of a muchness at that price point.

The pickup isn't all that good, I'd personally say it's worse than the US Custom Shop one. And for me the real killer was the tall narrow frets. My style makes use of a lot of one fret slides, and that's harder to achieve on the higher frets.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1494518903' post='3296711']
Have a serious look at a Japanese P-bass. I would suggest anyone dipping their toes to buy second hand as you are more likely to get your money back if you decide you don't like it.
[/quote]

I agree. I've had a few P basses and my current one, a MIJ Fender 70's reissue is the best I've played. There's a sunburst one going on FB at the moment. I did change the pick up (purely as I'm a particular fan of the Custom Shop '62) but they really are superb basses as stock.

[quote name='Micky b' timestamp='1494521526' post='3296744']
Great feedback peeps! Much appreciated.
I also couldn't seem to find an American standard online anywhere.
Thanks again
Mick.
[/quote]
Just seen a s\h 2013 Am Std P bass on a Facebook musicians market page up for sale for £750

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input guys! And Lozz your pearls of wisdom where much appreciated.

I final decided on a second hand 2015 am standard, purchased from a nice chap in Milton Keynes - through Reverb.

Had a rehearsal this week with the full band. And it sounded awesome! V happy boy!

Thanks again
Mick.

[quote name='Micky b' timestamp='1496946422' post='3314934']
Thanks for all the input guys! And Lozz your pearls of wisdom where much appreciated.

I final decided on a second hand 2015 am standard, purchased from a nice chap in Milton Keynes - through Reverb.

Had a rehearsal this week with the full band. And it sounded awesome! V happy boy!

Thanks again
Mick.
[/quote]
Good choice...!

Out of interest, how much did you get it for (asking for a friend)??

[quote name='Micky b' timestamp='1496946422' post='3314934']

Thanks again
Mick.
[/quote]

Nice one Mick, glad to have helped. So the burning question, colour scheme, and maple or rosewood?