Why become a member? ×

Tuners in 2017 - Boss TU-3W and TC Polytune 3

Musicman20

On the announcement of the Polytune 3, I decided to move on my Polytune 2 to try a new tuner.

The Polytune 2 was pretty impressive if I am honest. My only concern is what people noted about the footswitches on TC pedals being delicate compared to the Boss stomp (but no doubt TC have dealt with this).

I'm not sure how accurate the Polytune part of the pedal was (seemed fairly decent) or whether I 'needed' it, so part of me is tempted to go back to Boss with the TU-3W.

I've been super impressed with the Waza pedals, and apparently the buffer is the same as the ES-5/8 buffer, so high quality.

But, spanner in the works - I also quite fancy waiting for the Polytune 3.

I doubt any of us have tried the Polytune 3 as yet, but has anyone tried the TU-3W?

Thanks

I've got a TU-3W. My girlfriend asked me what I wanted for my birthday and specified "something stupid that you want but can't justify buying yourself" so that's what I ended up with! I like that the W means it's painted black and has blue lights, but I really can't tell any functional difference between it and my normal TU-3.

Gotta admit I was (and remain) pretty suspicious of a Waza Craft tuner pedal. I have the basic TU3 and it is as accurate as a tuner ever needs to be. I have a Poly Tune Clip too. Ditto but easier to lose/takes up less space. Also, although I'm not a fan of TC foot switches for 'in the field' use - I'm never positive I've engaged them - and route my Flashback through a Boss LS2 for that reason, I really don't see that being an issue in a tuner. YMMV of course.

I half regret selling my flashback - but the signal cut when audio tapping spoilt it for me so I guess I'd get annoyed with it before long if I bought another. I happen to really appreciate TC's switches though, so there you go.

Also - and I admit I have no knowledge of the Bonafide and only a faint grasp of buffers in general - haven't boss tuners been equipped with buffers since time immemorial? (Marketing opportunity notwithstanding)

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1495025788' post='3300563']

Also - and I admit I have no knowledge of the Bonafide and only a faint grasp of buffers in general - haven't boss tuners been equipped with buffers since time immemorial? (Marketing opportunity notwithstanding)
[/quote]

Yes, but there are good buffers and bad. The current crop of Boss pedals seem fine to me whereas everything I had in the 80s - BF2B, CE2, CS2 - really tone-sucked an active bass, even when disengaged. After 20 years of avoiding pedals, I was really surprised at how good the current crop are.