Why become a member? ×

Bass Playing Listening Test - for my PhD research

EvilSmile

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1494532488' post='3296834']I found myself having numerous internal debates as to whether it's harder for someone to convincingly play a simple sounding groove in an odd time signature or complicated sounding sloppy slap tricks in 4/4...
[/quote]

Me too! Reading between the lines, I suspect that was the object of the exercise :)

Thanks again everyone!

To specifically address the questions below... server issues beyond my control sometimes prevent saving - the form is designed to save automatically. Anonymity is retained in the xml file and once detected from the email anyone else viewing the data will only have anonymised results.

If you are seeing a familiarity question - thats odd. But I removed it to try and reduce the repetition in an already reasonable repetitive test!

I'll also post a full list of tracks when I can announce the results of the test.

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1494512578' post='3296642']
Done.

I was a bit surprised I had to save and email the results. Could you not design the form to save results - this would help with future work where anonymization may be important and/or worry about biasing your results by excluding people willing to share an email address.

I too would be interested to hear what your results are.
Once the survey is finished, it would also be cool to know what the pieces of music are...(seeing as the survey is a good way to create an ear worm out of them).

p.s. what happen to the 'On a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is not familar at all and 5 is extremely familiar, please state how familiar you are with the bass playing presented in track' question?
[/quote]

Phew - yeah thats left in there as its easier to disable displaying it than deleting the multiple lines that it appears in. If you are a little more curious this: https://github.com/BrechtDeMan/WebAudioEvaluationTool is what i'm using to run the listening test.

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1494577629' post='3297045']
Not to fear - I didn't get asked the familiarity question. I looked at the save.xml file out of curiosity and found it buried in there.
[/quote]

Done, although I struggled with the concept of the test. Some samples had specific techniques that I personally find very difficult to play at all, whereas others did not include the same techniques but sounded horrifically difficult and to me nt necessarily very musical