Why become a member? ×

Bass Playing Listening Test - for my PhD research

EvilSmile

Hi Everyone,

I'm running a study into how difficult people judge bass playing to be from audio excerpts and am looking for participants.

The study takes the form of a listening test found here: [url="http://goo.gl/Jq9sAQ"]http://goo.gl/Jq9sAQ[/url]

It should only take ~15-20mins to complete and can be done by anyone over the age of 16.

Thanks!!
Callum

Edit:
There maybe a server issue crop up which stops the test automatically being saved. If this happens you should get the option to download an xml file - if this happens there should be message - i'd very much appreciate if you could email the file to [email protected]!

Edited by EvilSmile

Interesting - but rather repetitive. It also depends on what your own personal playing style is, and which songs you have played.

For example, I always thought that the bass intro to Tool's Schism sounded really difficult. Then i sat down and learned it and realised that it was actually pretty straightforward. I used to play quite a lot of slap back in the eighties (when it was cool!), so I found the slap parts to sound OK, but I have never done any two-handed tapping so I thought the Billy Sheehan-type stuff sounded really hard...

Done, and not as easy as all that. Enjoyable enough, though. Goodness only knows what use at all can be made of the collated results..! :lol:
Nice, clear extracts, easy to listen to. One has to read through all of the instructions, and it takes about 15 minutes to go through the lot. Once started, one has to finish; no 'Save and continue later' option.
Will we be privy to any results from this study..? It could be enlightening. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1494343297' post='3295166']
Will we be privy to any results from this study..? It could be enlightening. B)
[/quote]

What if it turns out that we are all Clown-whores? :ph34r:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1494343838' post='3295176']
What if it turns out that we are all Clown-whores? :ph34r:
[/quote]

And what's wrong with being entertaining..? Some of us are not cut out for being the Arty type, innit..? :P

Done and emailed!

With only a relatively limited number of samples it'd be good if you only had to listen to each clip in its entirety once rather than every single trial. We know it's say Sting vs Flea (or whoever) in the first few seconds listen, so no need to hear the clip all the way to the end (unless it's a part of The Science that I don't appreciate from this end)

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1494347670' post='3295229']...it'd be good if you only had to listen to each clip in its entirety once rather than every single trial....
[/quote]

I'm not certain, but it seemed to me to be much like the football league, where each extract has to be pitted against each of the others. As, then, there are eight samples, each has to be played seven times (once against each of the others...), so twenty-eight plays in all. A 'league table' can then be drawn up, which would give some idea of 'difficulty'. May be wrong, though. :blush:

Thank you so much for completing the test and for your feedback!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1494348923' post='3295247']
I'm not certain, but it seemed to me to be much like the football league, where each extract has to be pitted against each of the others. As, then, there are eight samples, each has to be played seven times (once against each of the others...), so twenty-eight plays in all. A 'league table' can then be drawn up, which would give some idea of 'difficulty'. May be wrong, though. :blush:
[/quote]

You might just be right... :) And is something I can share once after i've finished running the study.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1494348923' post='3295247']
[/quote]

Oh yes, totally agree. It's just that in each "fixture" you HAVE to listen to all of Sting and all of Flea (or whoever it is) every time, even though we know Flea is "harder" than Sting. Once you've heard a few notes of the Seven Days line, you know what it's going to be.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494358724' post='3295369']
I have the dots for Mayer's Who Did You Think I Was and Pino makes it all look far too easy
[/quote]

Can you send me a copy? :D

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1494361055' post='3295398']...you know what it's going to be.
[/quote]

Maybe I had the advantage of never having heard any of the extracts before, with no idea whatsoever as to who it was playing. Yup, an innocent Candide, that's me. :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1494361702' post='3295413']
Maybe I had the advantage of never having heard any of the extracts before, with no idea whatsoever as to who it was playing. Yup, an innocent Candide, that's me. :unsure:
[/quote]

yes but by the time you've heard it 4 or 5 times, during the course of the survey, you know what it's going to be.

Thank you so much to everyone who's both attempted and completed!

I'm honestly in agreement with the repetition. I've tried to keep it as painless as possible whilst still getting the results I'm needing. The big thing is that I needed to ensure everyone has listened to each track all the way through at least once, and the web tool I'm using is either make it so you listen to every track at least once all the way through, every time its presented, or doesn't enforce a check at all. So in this case I had to settle on the less than ideal option!

Honestly it just means I'm even more appreciative of those who stuck with it to complete!

Edited by EvilSmile

[quote name='EvilSmile' timestamp='1494417008' post='3295751']
Thank you so much to everyone who's both attempted and completed!

I'm honestly in agreement with the repetition. I've tried to keep it as painless as possible whilst still getting the results I'm needing. The big thing is that I needed to ensure everyone has listened to each track all the way through at least once, and the web tool I'm using is either make it so you listen to every track at least once all the way through, every time its presented, or doesn't enforce a check at all. So in this case I had to settle on the less than ideal option!

Honestly it just means I'm even more appreciative of those who stuck with it to complete!
[/quote]
Sorry, I couldn't make it past page 10 for the reasons of repetitiveness

Done.

I was a bit surprised I had to save and email the results. Could you not design the form to save results - this would help with future work where anonymization may be important and/or worry about biasing your results by excluding people willing to share an email address.

I too would be interested to hear what your results are.
Once the survey is finished, it would also be cool to know what the pieces of music are...(seeing as the survey is a good way to create an ear worm out of them).

p.s. what happen to the 'On a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is not familar at all and 5 is extremely familiar, please state how familiar you are with the bass playing presented in track' question?

Edited by samhay

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494354994' post='3295313']
Done. It didn't ask me to e-mail anything. It just said close my browser. Hope I've done it properly.

Good luck.
[/quote]

This ^ :(

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494358724' post='3295369']
I have the dots for Mayer's Who Did You Think I Was and Pino makes it all look far too easy 😀
[/quote]

Pino make everything look easy! Where did you find the dots I would love to get my hands on them.

I almost lost it when having to decide between two equally awful slappity-poppity notegasms, but I soldiered on.

Just out of interest, were the tapping examples Michael Manring and Billy Sheehan? Think I managed to clock everything else, but those ones had me stumped.

I found myself having numerous internal debates as to whether it's harder for someone to convincingly play a simple sounding groove in an odd time signature or complicated sounding sloppy slap tricks in 4/4...