Why become a member? ×

Guitarists referred to on BassChat

mep

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494503146' post='3296523']

Having a lifelong developmental/neurological condition, being referred to as "retarded", "backward" "wrong in the head" & other lovely, confidence building terms all through my life by family, teachers & people I worked with, nearly being institutionalised by my mother when I was a child because there was "something wrong with me" - Those good enough for ya? Probably not.
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear about it. However, it isn't reasonable to expect (and certainly not to demand) that the rest of the world walks round you on tiptoe because some people have been unkind to you.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1494517865' post='3296693']
I'm sorry to hear about it. However, it isn't reasonable to expect (and certainly not to demand) that the rest of the world walks round you on tiptoe because some people have been unkind to you.
[/quote]

That's not what I expect or demand at all. All I am saying is that there are many people out there who for very genuine reasons are fully justified in being angry or offended by people using demeaning terminology. The fact that people don't seem to accept this, and also seem to be annoyed by the fact that people find it offensive or insulting, is what I find astonishing.

Having played in a few bands with two lead guitarists - luckily none being the aforementioned "guitards" (joke wearing a bit thin imho) - I can tell you that what really winds them up is if you refer to the one who happens to be playing rhythm as playing 'spare guitar'.

That really gets 'em :)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1494492302' post='3296399']
would someone who works in the cells at a police station be a custard then?
[/quote]

Quite possibly.
In fact, that reminds me of that American geezer who made Strat guitars.
If he had worn woman's clothing in his spare time, would he have been classed as a Leotard ?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1494452403' post='3296201']
I have no time for political correctness in it's extremes, but my opinion is that using this phrase isn't acceptable. Am I offended by it? Not really, but I feel that corrupting a word that descibes mental handicaps or learning difficulties to use as a 'humorous' but ultimately derogatory term is out of order, and no more acceptable than calling someone 'spazz', or some other unintentionally cruel playground jibe. I'm sure nobody means to cause offence, but all the same I'm uncomfortable with it.
[/quote]

This is my take on it as well.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1494452403' post='3296201']
I have no time for political correctness in it's extremes, but my opinion is that using this phrase isn't acceptable. Am I offended by it? Not really, but I feel that corrupting a word that descibes mental handicaps or learning difficulties to use as a 'humorous' but ultimately derogatory term is out of order, and no more acceptable than calling someone 'spazz', or some other unintentionally cruel playground jibe. I'm sure nobody means to cause offence, but all the same I'm uncomfortable with it.
[/quote]

I agree with everything you say, except that I do honestly think plenty of people enjoy nothing more than deliberately causing offence.

I think if used to refer to all guitarists then it is disrespectful at the least, although I've always thought it referred to the specific type of guitarist that has no awareness of the rest of the band.

What I find much more offensive is the ginger bashing that seems so prevelant these days. It's almost as if people have finally accepted that it is wrong to abuse people based on the colour of their skin so have moved on to the colour of their hair. Where next, the colour of their eyes?

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1494528666' post='3296801']
I think if used to refer to all guitarists then it is disrespectful at the least, although I've always thought it referred to the specific type of guitarist that has no awareness of the rest of the band.

What I find much more offensive is the ginger bashing that seems so prevelant these days. It's almost as if people have finally accepted that it is wrong to abuse people based on the colour of their skin so have moved on to the colour of their hair. Where next, the colour of their eyes?
[/quote]

It's the only thing we've got left! Chin up rusty :D

When I was young, there were jokes about the Polish, referred to as "Polacks", inferring that they were stupid. Years later they morphed into hair color jokes, referred to as "blonds", usually of the female persuation. Why were there no "Brit" jokes on this side of the pond? Sometimes you folks are so funny. I know in WW2 you had plenty of "Yank" jokes. "Over paid, over sexed and over here".

We are called 'rosbifs' in France and I dare say there are other equivalents in other countries. I don't have any problem with anybody referring to me as anything, frankly.

Odd that I never thought of Polack as anything other than a similar term (to rosbif) and wasn't derogatory in any way.

Some of us (not all, but some...) have grown up somewhat since those idyllic times, and have developed a little sensibility about the feelings of others. There remain certain vestiges of that dark, uncouth era, but, in general, humour has moved on. Maybe there's a certain staleness to hearing those 'blonde' jokes [i]et al[/i]..? One would hope so. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1494756245' post='3298290']
When I was young, there were jokes about the Polish, referred to as "Polacks", inferring that they were stupid. Years later they morphed into hair color jokes, referred to as "blonds", usually of the female persuation. [b]Why were there no "Brit" jokes on this side of the pond? [/b] Sometimes you folks are so funny. I know in WW2 you had plenty of "Yank" jokes. "Over paid, over sexed and over here".
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1494756245' post='3298290']
When I was young, there were jokes about the Polish, referred to as "Polacks", inferring that they were stupid. Years later they morphed into hair color jokes, referred to as "blonds", usually of the female persuation. Why were there no "Brit" jokes on this side of the pond? Sometimes you folks are so funny. I know in WW2 you had plenty of "Yank" jokes. "Over paid, over sexed and over here".
[/quote]

Sorry about that. I'll see if we can have some sent over.

Dad3353

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]in general, humour has moved on.". Have you watch much Danish comedy? Everybody is a target and it's as near the knuckle as can be.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Funny as hell too :D[/font][/color]