Why become a member? ×

Guitarists referred to on BassChat

mep

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1494433400' post='3295968']
"Taking offence" is becoming a popular hobby these days, sadly.
[/quote]

As is not giving a f*** about whether somebody has good reason to be upset or offended by something it would appear.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494359489' post='3295378']

Perhaps it should be changed to Guitarstard (def: musician born outside of wedrock) 😀
[/quote]

That's a good suggestion , better than the current one , and I can say so because I am a Bstard

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1494431150' post='3295936']

I think you'll find it's actually hugely offensive.
[/quote]

In my defense, I don't believe I've ever used the term myself,as someone who plays both guitar and bass I'm just not offended by it.

But, having read some of the comments here, particularly by those who have personal reasons to dislike the term, I'm willing to reconsider my position.

In the past I have worked (as part of a disability rights team who's job was to explain to people the new civil rights they received under the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act) with people with mental disabilities and I would never use the r word to describe any of them. Mainly because it's a piss poor catch all term which ignores the unique difficulties each individual faces.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494433780' post='3295974']

As is not giving a f*** about whether somebody has good reason to be upset or offended by something it would appear.
[/quote]

Well said! What is it about people who don't mind using negative terms to describe others. If someone is offended by a comment you make, be it deliberately or otherwise don't blame them for being offended by your comments. It's well evidence that these brave people only feel free, whilst there fingers are on a keypad and they are not confronted by the impact of their comments and how they make others feel.

" I don't mind offending others as long as they are not in my presence, as I wouldn't want to offend anyone"

SFC

I have no time for political correctness in it's extremes, but my opinion is that using this phrase isn't acceptable. Am I offended by it? Not really, but I feel that corrupting a word that descibes mental handicaps or learning difficulties to use as a 'humorous' but ultimately derogatory term is out of order, and no more acceptable than calling someone 'spazz', or some other unintentionally cruel playground jibe. I'm sure nobody means to cause offence, but all the same I'm uncomfortable with it.

But hey, it's only banter, isn't it?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1494419846' post='3295795']

What was that? Sorry, I was just looking at some kittens.
[/quote]

Worth doing.

The little furry bastards already control the internet.

It's clear they're up to something. I often find my cat on the keyboard trying to look innocent. Check your history, I've found sites that I' ve never visited, usually about the evolution of opposable thumbs and the operation of heavy weaponry.

It's comforting that someone else is keeping an eye on the fluffy anarchists.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1494455464' post='3296231']
Worth doing.

It's clear they're up to something.I often find my cat on the keyboard trying to look innocent. Check your history,
[/quote]

One of my cats once came & stomped on my laptop keyboard & a picture of a man with a camel appeared. I have no idea where it came from. She also used to be completely obsessed with the Kraftwerk website.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1494432662' post='3295958']
better change the name of scunthorpe then, wouldnt want to upset anyone :angry:
[/quote]

about 30 years ago, someone sprayed the C word on our stadium's outside wall

then someone added the S....horpe to it

I still chuckle about it 30 years later

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1494419846' post='3295795']
What was that? Sorry, I was just looking at some kittens.
[/quote]
[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1494455464' post='3296231']
Worth doing.

It's clear they're up to something...
[/quote]

You don't know the half of it my friends. Their part as agents in a global war between nerds and wannabes, back in the dark days when Newgroups were the social media of choice for keyboard jockeys around the world, is well documented. It makes for scary reading;

[url="https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Meow_Wars"]https://encyclopedia...ca.rs/Meow_Wars[/url]

[attachment=245070:DarthKitten.png]

Remember Caturday. Our children must never make the mistakes we did.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1494483312' post='3296300']
It's juvenile and desperately unfunny.

It's yet another sign of the ill-placed sense of superiority that some bass players seem to think they're due because of what instrument they happen to play. Change the record. You're not special.
[/quote]

That doesn't refer to me when I use the term because I am senile and hilariously funny.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1494461921' post='3296254']
Where does Doctor Who stand then, travelling through time and space in a TARDIS?
[/quote]

That's OK. But rearrange the letters and we get "sitard"...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494456626' post='3296238']

One of my cats once came & stomped on my laptop keyboard & a picture of a man with a camel appeared. I have no idea where it came from. She also used to be completely obsessed with the Kraftwerk website.
[/quote]

I rest my case.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1494491279' post='3296379']
So what's your "good reason" then?
[/quote]

Having a lifelong developmental/neurological condition, being referred to as "retarded", "backward" "wrong in the head" & other lovely, confidence building terms all through my life by family, teachers & people I worked with, nearly being institutionalised by my mother when I was a child because there was "something wrong with me" - Those good enough for ya? Probably not.