Why become a member? ×

Guitarists referred to on BassChat

mep

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1494362897' post='3295432']
I'd never use the term to offend anyone.
I'd never dream of using it to refer to someone whom has a condition or difficulty.

I use the term guitard only to refer to those whom are not musically gifted & not willing to learn either. Those that just make a noise & noodle constant piffle.

I'm still looking for a phrase to use to describe those baw heedit numpties who turn up for singer auditions & don't know a thing about music or able to hold a decent tune! They rip ma nitting oot!!!
[/quote]

I take offence to "baw heedit numpty". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice one :lol:

Dave

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1494327787' post='3294971']
If you are referring to two 'E' strings, you might have a 'Guitard' running off in embarrassment, but I am pretty sure a 'Proper Guitarist' will point out that they are not "tuned exactly the same !",
but are tuned two octaves apart from each other. If it was any Guitarists I know, they would also point out you have wasted 36 years of your life. :)

But, as you put it..."It's just banter", and if your post is talking about some other kind of tuning, ignore my drivel.
:D
[/quote]

by 'tuned exactly the same" I just meant that they are both tuned to E. I do understand that they are not the same octave.

My bad, I chose the wrong wording. :)

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1494356061' post='3295326']
Both. It's terribly modern to be offended by every little thing but there is something to be said for having a certain degree of robustness, to the point where one doesn't need to feel the need to try and censor what others say so that they can feel better.

'Guitard' may seem mildly offensive to some since it's obviously a derivation of 'retard', but I wouldn't break too much of a sweat about it, we're all grown men here.
[/quote]Tut Tut!!! "[i]we're all grown men here[/i]"? that surely is offensive to our female BC'ers isn't it? :unsure:

Only Joking!!! :)

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1494325758' post='3294947'] Most of us on here are Brits, I believe, so we all get the piss take sense of humor. If we start gasping at any word with "Tard" in it then the thought police have won, and I will move to a country that retains a sense of humor. [/quote]

Sorry for my tardy response but - [i]Right on[/i]!

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1494359808' post='3295384']
I understand why musicians have a cheeky knock at each other, that was never my point. My issue is solely the origins of the word being given a new life. I guess as a moderator I could have taken an issue with this a long time ago... and I didn't. I don't feel personally comfortable with the word myself so choose not to use it but I wouldn't want to restrict the freedom of other's speech. I do think there are cleverer terms we could be using though.

And Les, I guess it is open to a number of different interpretations and I massively prefer your one.
[/quote]

As you say, why naturally assume it is has anything to do with being retarded? It probably relates more to bastard, that is a closer match to the much maligned over loud, widdle merchant guitarist. And I for one have no problem with that word, despite being born out of wedlock. Sometimes you just have to assume that any banter is not personal or vindictive.

Edited by mikel

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1494349111' post='3295250']
Banter can have it's place (I love a laugh and a joke with my friends) but banter can often be a polite phrase for bullying too. That's not the same thing.

...The difference is that Billy is taking ownership of his own condition and I agree that is the best of what Brits do. Laughing at easy targets though isn't (not that I'm suggesting that is what YOU are saying but I think this is where some tend to get it slightly wrong).
[/quote]

This is it: there's an unwritten rule to the effect that good comedy "punches upwards." The rich and powerful are considered fair game, because at least in the worst case they have their wealth and power to insulate them from our mockery. On the other hand, someone with learning difficulties probably gets enough grief in a school playground as it is, so taking this p!$$ out of them is at best lazy, and at worst quite mean-spirited.

Still, by that logic, lead guitarists typically draw more recognition and attention than we do, so let the p!$$-taking continue!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1494414135' post='3295721']
On the other hand, someone with learning difficulties probably gets enough grief in a school playground as it is, so taking this p!$$ out of them is at best lazy, and at worst quite mean-spirited.
[/quote]

It doesn't stop when you leave school, it continues all through your life.
People who are talking about "First World Problems", "Political Correctness gone mad", "it's just banter" etc. have obviously never had to get through life with a developmental or neurological disorder.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1494409062' post='3295661']

As you say, why naturally assume it is has anything to do with being retarded? It probably relates more to bastard, that is a closer match to the much maligned over loud, widdle merchant guitarist. And I for one have no problem with that word, despite being born out of wedlock. Sometimes you just have to assume that any banter is not personal or vindictive.
[/quote]

It wasn't an assumption, it was an explanation given online on an American site about 10yrs back. Googling it now confirms it is about "brain dead or retarded guitarists". I accept others may feel it has different origins but there is certainly a school of thought that says it doesn't.

As I said, I am not denying anyone free speech, I just prefer not to use it myself.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494415525' post='3295734']
It doesn't stop when you leave school, it continues all through your life.
People who are talking about "First World Problems", "Political Correctness gone mad", "it's just banter" etc. have obviously never had to get through life with a developmental or neurological disorder.
[/quote] you clearly dont know me then

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1494409062' post='3295661']
As you say, why naturally assume it is has anything to do with being retarded?
[/quote]

I've always assumed it to be an attempt at a homonym with "retard". When pronounced the way the Americans would pronounce it, "Geetard" shows clear phonetic similarities.

For that reason I tend to avoid the term. In fact, most guitarists I have played with have been pretty nice guys.

Singers though... :o :rolleyes: <_< :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1494418197' post='3295766']
It wasn't an assumption, it was an explanation given online on an American site about 10yrs back. Googling it now confirms it is about "brain dead or retarded guitarists". I accept others may feel it has different origins but there is certainly a school of thought that says it doesn't.

As I said, I am not denying anyone free speech, I just prefer not to use it myself.
[/quote]

Well....dont. But dont assume anyone who does use it is being vindictive.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1494432548' post='3295957']
Well....dont. But dont assume anyone who does use it is being vindictive.
[/quote]

Mikel, I think you may be reading far too much into my comments. I haven't suggested anyone is vindictive, because I don't think this has anything to do with anything other than a bit of banter. There are lots of comments on this thread about thought Police and people being offended but no actual examples of anyone saying anything stronger than "I personally don't like the phrase". Trust me, as someone who parents a child with Down Syndrome I've learned to develop a much thicker skin than to get upset over a word that seems to be in fairly regular use. However much like people are free to use the word, some are free to not like it. And that is pretty much rule one of Basschat, we can agree to disagree.