Why become a member? ×

Guitarists referred to on BassChat

mep

This is something that has been bugging me for a while now so here we go.

There is a tendency by some to refer to a guitarist here as a guitard. We all know what this means and personally I find it quite offensive. I have had the pleasure of working with many fantastic guitarist and none of them would fall into this category.

I'm I being too PC or just overreacting? What do others feel about this term?

It' s just banter.

Like a lot of people on here I play both, and I've never been offended by it.

If you go on a guitar forum you'll find plenty of playful derogatory stuff said about bass players.

And everyone takes the piss out of drummers and singists.

Funny thing is, we need all those people to make a band.

We're just one big dysfunctional family of interdependent musicians.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1494272852' post='3294636']
This is something that has been bugging me for a while now so here we go.

There is a tendency by some to refer to a guitarist here as a guitard. We all know what this means and personally I find it quite offensive. I have had the pleasure of working with many fantastic guitarist and none of them would fall into this category.

[/quote]

I think it only refers to the type of egotistical guitarists, that think that the world revolves around them. I've met plenty of them.

Are you referring to the use of that particular word, which is based on an offensive term, or just deriding fellow musicians who play guitar?

There are some character traits for electric, mainly rock guitarists, which are so common (eg too loud on stage, obsession with their personal tone above the band sound) that they are very widely recognised, and the mick-taking is at least partly justified.

Since I'm currently not in a gigging band, I'm playing a lot more guitar than bass, that being how I compose. So if I'm now a guitard, that's fine with me. Although I'd prefer to be called a guit@rshole.

[/quote]

I'm not too keen on the term either, I don't find it funny and I wouldn't use it myself, and I think it should be fine to point that out in any reasonably open discussion. I'd stop short of saying that people absolutely must not use it - that would be where accusations of political correctness might be justifiable.

you'll be defending drummers next and then where will that leave us?

The world needs depreciating humour and comedy stereotyping, it helps keep us all humble and our feet on the ground.
I for one welcome people thinking of bassists as feckless morons as it allows me to shine all the brighter (maybe i need some humility, hmmm)

If people start taking themselves too seriously they very quickly become insufferable, a good dose of calling a guitard a guitard will help to keep egos in check and senses of humour intact.
And if the guitards have any sense they will return the compliment.

I don't use the term when I refer to musicians who play guitar, such as the guitarist in my current band.
But I do use the term to refer to the retarded twazzicks who turn up with a guitar & a pedal train full of nothing but dirt pedals & don't consider playing in the band, but rather as using the band as a backing track for them to make a noise.
They are Guitards. :modspank:

I'm sure there's Basstards out there too!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1494273913' post='3294650']
Are you referring to the use of that particular word, which is based on an offensive term, or just deriding fellow musicians who play guitar?
[/quote]

The use of that word.

Glad I'm not alone in my dislike for it. I'm not going worry too much. It's just slightly annoying for me when I read it in a post.

The usual mixed response so far which is good.

Bring on the banter eh!

I think we've had this thread before a few years ago, I don't use the term but at the same time it doesn't really bother me either, my parents would still use the term retarded or backwards at times but they are not being nasty, that was the term they grew up with, funnily more people would take offence at retarded now than "a sandwich short of a picnic" or similar, my parents still use 'coloured' instead of black as that was the polite way for them, black would have normally been followed by another word beginning with B when my dad was young! Times change and you need to see the context it is used in IMO, that's where the written word on the net can go astray at times.

I might start a thread about picking on gingers now ......... :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1494280630' post='3294734']

I might start a thread about picking on gingers now ......... :lol:
[/quote]

Joshing ginger mates ,fine, almost a duty.

Picking on ginger women, misguided.

Red and orange are the most beautiful hair colours.

I have unusual tastes...

Edited by Cato

[/quote]

Is it offensive ? I'd say its certainly childish.

Edited by ahpook

It's just banter, ever hear how guitarists put us bassists down?

After 36 years I finally came up with an answer back to the "you only have 4 strings to our six"

"Yes, but TWO of your strings are tuned exactly the same !"

only took me 36 years, pretty quick eh?

The problem is that, as we all know, guitard is based on retard, which is now a derogatory term thanks to the efforts of some Hollywood movies and the like. I'm all for challenging conversations and like that famous clip of the comedian talking about being offended, but in this instance the people being offended directly perhaps don't have the same capacity to defend themselves as others. I feel we should move away from both terms as intelligent respectful tolerant human beings.

Just think how many times guitarists will have a laugh at at the "no one notices the bassist" or" what does the bass do again" jokes. It`s banter, the world has enough real problems to be concerned about, join in and escape the real issues of the world for a while.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1494274070' post='3294651']
Since I'm currently not in a gigging band, I'm playing a lot more guitar than bass, that being how I compose. So if I'm now a guitard, that's fine with me. Although I'd prefer to be called a guit@rshole.
[/quote]

guitarshole - perfect! Even funnier than guitard, and much less offensive.

Personally I refuse to be defined by the instrument(s) I play, but others are welcome to if it helps them take the piss :)