Why become a member? ×

Tuning on a gig.

bassjim

Probably been done already but latest band grief is this topic.

On an average gig down the dog and duck, I personally do a tuning check after each number. I have a tuner on the floor which is on permanently. A quick step on the mute of another pedal and its all over in 3-5 secs max. If a tune starts with,for example, a long keys intro I will take a bit more time but my aim is to stay in tune as much as possible. New strings or old strings, i treat the tuning the same and constantly check it.

During my tuning time you have clapping from the previous number or a bit of vocal banter with the crowd going on so apart from segways where obviously I don't tune between songs, I cant see the problem with it. I'm probably faster than it takes the keys player to change patches. On drop D and Eb it may take me a few more seconds. Occasionally.

Gitard for what ever reason on the other hand seems to take ages.......but thats another story/debate/rant.

So folks , how often do you check your tuning during a gig and how important is it to you to stay in tune? Would you rather keep going from one song to the next, out of tune, when you know you are out of tune for the sake of sounding "professional"? Remember I'm talking about the dog and duck pub here not some wedding,function or touring situation.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1494254270' post='3294358']On an average gig down the dog and duck, I personally do a tuning check after each number. I have a tuner on the floor which is on permanently. A quick step on the mute of another pedal and its all over in 3-5 secs max. If a tune starts with,for example, a long keys intro I will take a bit more time but my aim is to stay in tune as much as possible. New strings or old strings, i treat the tuning the same and constantly check it.
[/quote]

Me too :)

Depends on the bass though. My J basses can be a bit unstable, but I had a Status series II for years, and I only had to tune it about once a year!! :o :D

Edited by Conan

Leave my bass on stage to settle at room temperature. Will check tuning either 5mins before due to start the gig or as soon as i put my bass on.
After that its only if i think it sounds out of tune which is rare or if there is a quiet point where no bass i might just check. I have a rackmount Korg and its always on so easy to check tuning at any time.
If room conditions change dramatically mid-set i will probably re-check it.

Dave

One of the many advantages of having a bass that is constructed with a carbon fibre skin over wood is that it takes a fairly extreme change in conditions for it to go out of tune. I'll generally check the tuning at the sound check and quickly just before playing, but unless one of the machine heads has taken a knock while getting it out of the gig bag it's never more than a few cents out at the most and I could certainly play the whole set without bothering to tune up. I never check the tuning during the set unless I can hear something off while I'm playing although so far it's always turned out to be someone else in the band who is at fault.

I usually Do right before each set then after 3-4 songs, but usually there is no need for it. Only reason I check that frequent is because I want to justify the money that I spent on my turbo tuner. :-p

I can tune my (6 string) basses in about 10 seconds. They generally never go out of tune, but if I have 10 seconds spare, why not? It's important to me to be in tune

When I'm on guitar I'm sure it takes the same amount of time, but I've never actually seen a guitarist tune in less than 30 seconds. What's the deal with that? And guitarists who insist on trying to tune by ear, despite the fact they have a digital tuner on stage? Weird

I tune my bass 45 mins before we start playing, and then 2 or 3 times maybe each set when there
is a gap / song that doesn't need me in from the start.
May seem excessive, but the theatres I play in have a habit of being often very chilly before we start, and get
a lot warmer as the set progresses (with the lights / audience etc!) My bass is never far out, but like to keep it spot on.
Must say though that the accuracy of modern tuners make things look a lot worse than they sound, a few cents
adrift appearing to show up as way off! My (apparently extremely uncool) Snark clip on tuner is great though,
accurate but not ridiculously so.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1494257175' post='3294409']
If you have to tune up between numbers there is something wrong with your bass.

I tune up before each set and once about half way through, when the heat has got to the strings.
[/quote]

This. Or it's a sign that your strings are knackered!

bassjim, you've made me genuinely curious: do you actually find that your strings are noticeably out of tune between songs? Before my own setup became more elaborate, I used to tune up just before going on, and could just leave the tuner in my pocket for the rest of the gig - and I don't exactly have a gentle playing style.

In fact, so confident was I of the robust tuning on a bass, that I only added a tuner to my pedals because I realised there was a combined tuner and A/B available (Korg Pitchblack Plus) so that I could swap between 4- and 8-string basses more easily. Unsurprisingly, I find it's always wise to check the tuning of the 8-string since those thinner octave strings are more likely to deviate.

Admittedly, the tuner at your feet is a convenient safety net to have, especially if you don't want to interrupt the flow of a gig with an emergency re-tuning! But unless your strings are actually getting on for a quarter-tone out, I'd have thought most people would struggle to hear any minor discrepancies, especially when the whole band is playing together.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1494257809' post='3294417']
My bass is never far out, but like to keep it spot on.
Must say though that the accuracy of modern tuners make things look a lot worse than they sound, a few cents
adrift appearing to show up as way off!
[/quote] I think this accuracy has led to my OCD on tuning!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1494258328' post='3294431']
This. Or it's a sign that your strings are knackered!

bassjim, you've made me genuinely curious: do you actually find that your strings are noticeably out of tune between songs? Before my own setup became more elaborate, I used to tune up just before going on, and could just leave the tuner in my pocket for the rest of the gig - and I don't exactly have a gentle playing style.

In fact, so confident was I of the robust tuning on a bass, that I only added a tuner to my pedals because I realised there was a combined tuner and A/B available (Korg Pitchblack Plus) so that I could swap between 4- and 8-string basses more easily. Unsurprisingly, I find it's always wise to check the tuning of the 8-string since those thinner octave strings are more likely to deviate.

Admittedly, the tuner at your feet is a convenient safety net to have, especially if you don't want to interrupt the flow of a gig with an emergency re-tuning! But unless your strings are actually getting on for a quarter-tone out, I'd have thought most people would struggle to hear any minor discrepancies, especially when the whole band is playing together.
[/quote] No its not noticeably out of tune. Its me wanting to be as profesh as possible..... and its probably a bit OCD. It doesn't hold up the gig any and causes no disruption. I think because the gitard seems to be happy to carry on regardless to the point I wonder if he can even hear it, and I dont want to be like some gitard.aint nobody got time for dat :D so I like to keep it in check. But I wonder...if I just left it alone, how far out it might be at the end of a set.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1494258940' post='3294445']
But I wonder...if I just left it alone, how far out it might be at the end of a set.
[/quote]
Unless you hammer the sh*t out of your strings when you play, or the headstock gets bashed or whatever, it'll most probably be in tune.
It might show as being a few cents out on a tuner, but to everyones ears it will be fine.

At the start of the gig, a quick check after about 3 numbers to see how much my ham-fisted hitting has put it out, then as & when if needed, I can usually hear it when it`s gone out so easy enough fix.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1494258022' post='3294424']
Before 1st and 2nd set and most times when i tune up the second time its still in tune.
[/quote]

+1
I never have to keep tuning my basses, they all hold their tuning well. They may slip a micro tone but no bugger notices including me. :D