Why become a member? ×

Any famous guitarists good at playing bass?

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1494340862' post='3295121']
Good. And girl power. What's not to like.
[/quote]

Wow. Hooray. Great. Wunnerful. Sooper. So gender counts for summit, then, in your view..? Hmm... :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1494341712' post='3295132']
Well since you've made no effort to provide any context, nobody has a clue what your criteria are. What's to stop you making exactly the same remark ad infinitum?

In fact, if I were of a cynical disposition I might start wondering whether this has anything to do with guitarists or bassists at all. I might go further and wonder whether this isn't just a pot-stirring exercise...
[/quote]

Lets not forget the OP's famous Kanye West thread. Haters gonna hate! :lol:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1494345641' post='3295203']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264928-here-comes-kanye-at-glasto/page__hl__glastonbury"]http://basschat.co.u...hl__glastonbury[/url]
[/quote]

Well that's half an hour of my life that I'll never get back. :unsure:

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1494331225' post='3295005']
Sorry of already mentioned - Kenny Kravitz
Primarily a guitarist but plays much bass. I believe the first album is all Lenny on bass and there is some really lovely playing on there.
Check out the middle break in "does anybody out there even care" - fantastic bass playing
[/quote]

Let Love Rule , great Album , great Basslines

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1494344806' post='3295190']
Lets not forget the OP's famous Kanye West thread. Haters gonna hate! :lol:
[/quote]

There has been some interesting discussion on here - but there is some thing that I have noticed on here.

You get a lot of hostility for holding an opinion. Take this comment here. That's just downright nasty. Deliberately trying to be confrontational. And that guy called Dad3353 up the page a bit. I've already blocked him for being downright rude in a previous post.

This is a great forum, but there is a lot of rudeness going on for no particular reason.

I first noticed it when I had some Barefaced gear. I'm happy for people to have opinions, but why be rude? is there something wrong with your own life where you need to project negativity.

It's something that constantly crops up, in my opinion, ruining this forum.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1494347568' post='3295227']
I thought sting started out as a young jazz double bassist, didn't he?
[/quote]

He actually started playing classical guitar at the age of ten.

I'm still trying to work out how Macca and Carol Kaye fit your bill, whereas you are unconvinced by the likes of Prince. I mean, you did originally ask for "famous guitar players who are good bass players", yes? Sir Paul is far better known as a bassist and I don't think anyone could accuse Carol Kaye of being a famous [i]guitar[/i] player really. Or am I missing something?

So, I'm the rude one, am I..? Well well. OK, I'll leave this topic alone, but Noel Redding [i]was [/i]a rated guitarist before joining the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and had a decent enough career as a bassist after that. Not very convincing, though; he's male. Life deals out some tough breaks, sometimes. :mellow:

@Jenny_Innie

No disrespect intended here, but you may find you get more reasoned discussion if you take the time to address considered criticism (for example the fact that you appear to be making judgements about other peoples' choices without giving them any clue as to your assessment criteria for the topic at hand). Rubbishing the many comments made with a sweepingly dismissive gesture but no explanation stands a pretty good chance of confusing - and possibly annoying - people who have responded in good faith, wouldn't you say? There's some very knowledgeable people here who really enjoy discussing this kind of topic, not to mention a healthy sprinkling of hardened professionals. Dismissing their opinions in such a high-handed way is bound to put peoples' backs up, and make them wonder about your motives.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1494350618' post='3295271']
I am not a fan of Prince's music, but I would imagine he would be in anyone top 10 gifted multi insrutumentalists. If anyone fits the bill, he is a definate.
[/quote]
Absolutely agree.

Although predominately a bassist I would class myself as a multi-instrumentalist, in that I have had stints in bands playing everything from mandolin to guitar. When I started playing there was a snobbery over bassists who'd started on guitar and plenty of examples of brilliant players who'd started on guitar to contradict that theory.

I'd add that a couple of my favourite bands have songs with great basslines that it actually turns out the guitar player played the bass part (I often play Kiss' Torpedo Girl at soundcheck which was actually played by Ace Frehley not Gene Simmons). I think the view often comes from guitarists grabbing our basses off of us at rehearsal and then playing lead bass in a worrying attempt to prove a point!

I think with a bit of discipline a guitarist can play good bass and vice versa. The trick is to recognise they are actually quite different instruments.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1494347918' post='3295232']
There has been some interesting discussion on here - but there is some thing that I have noticed on here.

You get a lot of hostility for holding an opinion. Take this comment here. That's just downright nasty. Deliberately trying to be confrontational. And that guy called Dad3353 up the page a bit. I've already blocked him for being downright rude in a previous post.

This is a great forum, but there is a lot of rudeness going on for no particular reason.

I first noticed it when I had some Barefaced gear. I'm happy for people to have opinions, but why be rude? is there something wrong with your own life where you need to project negativity.

It's something that constantly crops up, in my opinion, ruining this forum.
[/quote]

"Good morning Miss Pot" said Mr Kettle.

Don't you think, Jenny, that there is the tiniest chance that some of your own comments actually contribute to the rudeness and negativity? I realise that there is a generational thing going on here (after all, I am a secondary school teacher and have three kids myself - so I know how they talk and know that I will always feel differently to them on many things).

The demographic of this forum is largely slanted towards middle aged men, and while many of us are very open-minded when it comes to music, some of your comments and threads just come across as trolling. If you don't intend that, maybe be a bit more careful with the wording?

This is coming across as patronising, which is not my intention. You have made some very valuable contributions to this forum in the past, and I would like that to continue.

Just maybe a bit of give and take, eh? :)

Oh and by the way, I am still at a loss as to why you think my suggestion of Scott Gorham (a very "famous" guitarist) does not convince you? :blink:

Edited by Conan

Reality check from the Old Git.
Players from my generation, famous or not, almost ALL would have started off on a guitar. I sort of did - first gig was as a banjp player - but already owned a guiitar.
So the premise of this thread falls down completely unless you split it into "Pre" and "post" bass GUITARS becoming popular and generally available.
Since the availability of bass guitars in the UK was really limited unless imported privately up to and including the early sixties, you can see why.

You damn kids - don`t know you`re born! When I were a lad, all we had was a bedpost and some baling twine. Cut yer hands to ribbons, nobody could hear you.... and we LOVED IT!

Carry on quibbling.... :lol:

Jimmy Page first joined the Yardbirds on bass. I have no knowledge of his playing, but if I had to guess, I bet he played well.

OP, don't be offended if you ask for examples and then blow off their answers.......... unless you enjoy being offended.

I assume Ms Innie's unconvinced status is based on who she considers to be a "good" bassist. Which so far doesn't include any of the suggestions other than Paul McC.

I'd have said Nick Beggs would be a contender but he's probably a useless bassist like all the others. :P

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1494276766' post='3294686']
Carole Kaye was teaching guitar at 14 and played guitar on 'La Bamba' before turning to bass,Played both on a lot of sessions.

Remarkable musician IMO.
[/quote]

I agree.
Actually, on her a Facebook page(s) there is quite a list of her Guitar playing studio credits.
The more I read about her, the more impressive it all gets.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494268508' post='3294571']
And all of the guitar stuff apart from the solo.
[/quote]

(Regarding Steve Lukather)
I always thought it was SL, but it seems session player, Paul Jackson Jnr, also played some of the Rhythm Guitar parts.
[url="http://bobbyowsinski.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/michael-jacksons-beat-it-isolated.html#axzz4gfUenUYy"]http://bobbyowsinski...l#axzz4gfUenUYy[/url]

Edited by lowdown