Why become a member? ×

Any famous guitarists good at playing bass?

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1494267987' post='3294566']
[indent=1]I'm not convinced by any of the comments so far. Maybe Paul McCartney. Otherwise ...... pfffft![/indent]
[/quote]

Prince is fairly hard to argue against.

He based his bass style on bass by Larry Graham, he's far more than a guitarist who messes about on bass a bit,

Edited by Cato

Steve Jones also did a very - if very basic - good job on Never Mind The Bollocks. Without his steam-roller bass just playing the root notes I doubt the album would have had had the same impact. Whilst I like Glen Matlocks more elaborate playing on Sp*nk, the simplicity of NMTB is hard to beat.

[indent=1]I'm not convinced by any of the comments so far. Maybe Paul McCartney. Otherwise ...... pfffft![/indent]
[/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It might help if we knew why you are asking people to give you their time and attention. Hopefully it isn't one of those 'guitarists can't play bass' things...

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494268508' post='3294571']

And all of the guitar stuff apart from the solo.
[/quote]

Yep but still doesn't meet Jenny's requirement, if Steve Lukather doesn't count as a guitarist that recorded bass on one of Michael Jackson's biggest hits I'm not sure what we're after?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1494271664' post='3294615']
Yep but still doesn't meet Jenny's requirement, if Steve Lukather doesn't count as a guitarist that recorded bass on one of Michael Jackson's biggest hits I'm not sure what we're after?
[/quote]

That was going to be my next question but you beat me to it. I used to work a lot with professionally trained musicians who were highly proficient (as in 'to a professional standard') on a number of instruments. I consider them great players because of their skill on their various instruments rather than any perceived star quality they might have on any one of them.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1494267835' post='3294564']
But I'm not asking that question.
[/quote]

I can only apologise for interrupting the direction of the current thread with possibilities of further discussion!

[/quote]

My fault, I suppose, for trying to honestly offer a sincere response to your query. Apologies; it won't happen again. <_<

Nathan King. I don't know him ~ but spoke to him briefly on the ferry home after a gig on the Isle of Wight, many years' ago.

A nice bloke, and very fine musician, who has played guitar with [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_42"]Level 42[/url] (since 1998) and [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost*"]Frost*[/url], as well as [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Bites"]It Bites[/url]. In more recent times, he has played guitar and Bass with [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blockheads"]The Blockheads[/url].

Oh, and he plays Bass on a blog called 'All about the Bass', which you might have seen on Youtube?

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1494276766' post='3294686']
Carole Kaye was teaching guitar at 14 and played guitar on 'La Bamba' before turning to bass,Played both on a lot of sessions.

Remarkable musician IMO.
[/quote]

Yes indeed

The real deal without speed, slaps or thumps.

Blue

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1494274830' post='3294667']

Seriously? Have another listen to Maggie May and get back to us!

Think he was wearing 16oz boxing gloves and two blindfolds.
[/quote]

Ronnie is an all around great artist, whether it be psinting, guitar or bass.

Ever listen to "Spanish Boots"?

He gets it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1494293830' post='3294771']
Does Beck count? He started as a guitarist. I would imagine he understands how to play if it is true that he can play 12 instruments.
[/quote]

He might be able to play 12 instruments, but what instruments and at what level.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494299572' post='3294775']

He might be able to play 12 instruments, but what instruments and at what level.

Blue
[/quote] A good enough level to get awarded grammys. I know bass is one of the instruments , plus guitar, and about 10 others

[/quote]

Sorry. You didn't say that you were looking to be "convinced" - just asking for suggestions as you couldn't think of any.

Maybe try being a bit more specific in your questioning if you wish for a specific answer. BTW, what [i][b]would[/b][/i] convince you? :huh: