Why become a member? ×

Tell me about Sandberg

radiophonic

Hey Pinball, hope you are well buddy. Completely agree with you, Sandy pups are the best.

So far as looks go, i mainly buy on them now, i have 2 basses, red with a tort guard, one the VS4, one the DK, the mrs thinks i only have1 bass, I'm just gonna keep buying the same colour....

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494678694' post='3297793']
... i have 2 basses, red with a tort guard, one the VS4, one the DK, the mrs thinks i only have1 bass, I'm just gonna keep buying the same colour....
[/quote]

My Mrs says I could maybe even do the same thing with cars...lol!

Hah! Aye that she is...certainly in the Krow household and not least for putting up with an often noisy Sandberg TM4 playing [...just to get this thread back on track] bass guitarist with very little complaint! :D

Right, 'nuff banter...best get the trusty axe packed up together with the band's PA and my bass amp loaded ready for tonight's Retros gig (how come bass players always end up lugging the rest of the band's gear?!)...I'm debuting being a bass player unleashed tonight with the first live outing of my Smooth Hound wireless. Looking forward to it!

Edited by Al Krow

• 1 year later...

My only advice is stay away from those Delano big poles pickups. I know they look Musicman'ish, but unlike Musicman pickups, the Delanos sound terribly dead (scooped and opaque). Had those on a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ and I sold the bass because I couldn't stand them, either active or passive (so the -also not that great- Delano preamp it had wasn't the culprit). I much prefer the P pickup in an 88€ thomann kit I've built than the big poles Delano P this bass had. I plugged in any other bass and it was like a blanket was taken off the amp. Same thing with any Sandberg I tried, hated those dead pickups. The other thing is the MM pickup (and more broadly, any neckside humbucker) in any position other than a Musicman's sweet spot is useless. A California VM is no more functional than a PJ really (same with TM and Jazz Bass).

Edited by andruca

7 minutes ago, andruca said:

My only advice is stay away from those Delano big poles pickups. I know they look Musicman'ish, but unlike Musicman pickups, the Delanos sound terribly dead (scooped and opaque). Had those on a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ and I sold the bass because I couldn't stand them, either active or passive (so the -also not that great- Delano preamp it had wasn't the culprit). I much prefer the P pickup in an 88€ thomann kit I've built than the big poles Delano P this bass had. I plugged in any other bass and it was like a blanket was taken off the amp. Same thing with any Sandberg I tried, hated those dead pickups. The other thing is the MM pickup (and more broadly, any neckside humbucker) in any position other than a Musicman's sweet spot is useless. A California VM is no more functional than a PJ really (same with TM and Jazz Bass).

I have to disagree, I love those pickups , have them on my sandberg (P-Bass) - active, and on my Mayones Jabba-4 (jazz), passive. On the jabba the neck pickup is really meaty and can pass for a p-bass, the bridge pickup is really articulate and tight. Each to their own I guess. 

Horses for courses I guess.  I'm not mad keen on the Sandberg/Delano p/ups.  My two Cali IIs have had pickup changes.  The VS4 now sports a Nordstrand NP4 and my TT has a Bartolini B Axis set both of which I'm really enjoying.

6 hours ago, Quilly said:

I have to disagree, I love those pickups , have them on my sandberg (P-Bass) - active, and on my Mayones Jabba-4 (jazz), passive. On the jabba the neck pickup is really meaty and can pass for a p-bass, the bridge pickup is really articulate and tight. Each to their own I guess. 

+1 to that. I have them on my Elwood 5 stringer (also with a Delano pre-amp) & they sound great. Far livelier than the Barts they replaced.

On 31/10/2018 at 11:52, Quilly said:

Yeah, I like them on my Jake 5A+ as well, I like them DI or through a fairly transparent amp, not so keen on them through a tube amp. Try before you buy is the best way anyway.