Why become a member? ×

Tell me about Sandberg

radiophonic

I went into PMT to demo a chorus pedal at the weekend and the guy handed me a fairly nondescript looking fender/musicman-ish bass that I wouldn't have looked at twice. It was a Sandberg (VM4 I think). It felt and sounded absolutely awesome. Everything about it was just right: P-meets-J neck - like a stingray but slightly shallower at the nut, very fast, super comfortable and with an insanely low action with zero buzz all the way up. Gap between the strings and body was just right too. I even slapped it - way more responsive than my Musicman. Quite a shock actually. The sound was pretty huge - in fact I didn't realise that the actives were disengaged when I was playing it. Big P-bass thump, plus a really convincing MM-ish edge. I know absolutely nothing about them other than this one cost about 1200 quid and that seemed like a huge bargain at that price. Made in Germany too, so not even a sweat shop special. Tempting.

So for reference I have had a Kramer, Fenders and G&Ls. I sold everything off because of Sandberg's.

Sandberg's are absolutely phenomenal basses you cannot go wrong with them, beautifully made, great sound and if you like the relic look they do it phenomenally well IMO.

I have a VS4 (P bass passive) and a MarloweDK (jazz bass passive with pups in 70's position), my good buddy has a TT4 and a VM4 and i know another gentleman with one.
The precision in the manufacture is amazing, and I love a zero fret, everything that you describe is what you hear and what you get and you cannot go wrong with a Sandy.
You get the P bass thump with the VM4 and whilst the M pick up on its own does not give you a Stingray sound, and some perceive as weak, I disagree and what it actually does it blends a little clarity to cut through the mix in the live/band situation.

Which pups did they have in?

The Sandberg in house pick ups are great and will give you a slightly warmer more authentic sound, the Delano pick ups they use I've a slightly clearer more "hi-fi" type sound if that is your thing.

£1200 is a great price for a new bass, but if you are prepared to hold out you can get one for approx £700 second hand.
There is one on here/eBay/Facebook/gumtree in surf green I think in Southampton.

If you want to go wild you can get a custom one, but it's a 9month wait and can approach £2k depending on treatment and ageing options.

Go to the Sandberg configurator online and have a whirl!
http://www.configurator.sandberg-guitars.de

Come and join the Sandberg club, you will not be unhappy

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494232357' post='3294089']

Which pups did they have in?

[/quote]

It was a MM humbucker + P-bass. I play a Stingray primarily and while I agree that the Sandberg didn't sound [i]exactly [/i]like a Stingray, an active humbucker positioned that far back can't really avoid adding some cutting edge to the sound. If anything it lacked the the slightly brittle top end you get when you crank the treble on a 2 band MM and that's no bad thing IMO. My guess is that it would be a lot more compatible with drive pedals than a stingray - something I've had real issues with. I really liked it.

Oh I completely agree and they take pedals very well, I've also played a Ray and of course the G&L L1500 and they were less refined in my ears.
They have also led me to strip my pedals right back. I now only have a Cali76G, Two Notes LeBass and MXR Chorus deluxe that I use as the basses are just so good.

I know it's a Humbucker, but i was asking if it was a Sandberg pup or a Delano to help guide the sound you want?

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494232357' post='3294089']
£1200 is a great price for a new bass, but if you are prepared to hold out you can get one for approx £700 second hand.
There is one on here/eBay/Facebook/gumtree in surf green I think in Southampton.
[/quote]

Sure is, it's mine!

They're really great basses, and to be honest I'm on the verge of keeping mine if it doesn't sell before I move. It's an older one with the 'classic' Fender body shape and Delano pickups (which I agree are more hi-fi than old-school). I've found the P/MM set up sounds something like a ballsy P/J.

I'm guessing the one you played was one of the newer body shapes? I'd love to have a go on one.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494233887' post='3294103']
I know it's a Humbucker, but i was asking if it was a Sandberg pup or a Delano to help guide the sound you want?
[/quote]

No idea about the pickups, I'm afraid. They didn't sound exaggeratedly HiFi to me, more like a good modern active but plenty of thump where you need it. The one for sale on here is a good deal for sure, but Surf Green and Rosewood is too far from the Black/Maple that I would ideally want. I notice they offer block inlays as an option too...

I have the newer California II slightly smaller and lighter TT (Jazz pass) passive. I have ordered a VS in a custom colour do soon. Really well put together and a brilliant neck in terms of feel (for me at any rate).

I have an Umbo 4 string. It's killer. Years ago I spent a whole day in Bristol trying to buy an American Fender, but couldn't find one that justified the price tag. Some random guy in a shop told me I should try "that one"; I was sold within 10 seconds of playing. It oozed quality.

I think the pickups are passive Hausells (spelling?). Big range of tones. I'll never get rid of it.

+1 to all the positive posts above! Mine is a California TM4 which I've had for 3 years now and is definitely a keeper. Delano PUPs provide fantastic tonal variety from warm jazz to punchy precision.

[attachment=244873:Sandberg California TM4.jpg]

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494243653' post='3294230']
I am very jealous Ben, Umbo is high on my list to add to complete my set.
If you are in Bristol, as am I, I may have to come and stare at the precious from afar....
[/quote]

Alas, no! I was based in Cornwall at the time, but the bass in question is now with me in Norway; if you are ever in Trondheim :lol:

I got it in... 2011? And haven't played a jazz since that I preferred.

I had a Basic VM4 and it was an absolutely outstandingly built bass. The placement of the MM pickup made it sound more like a very muscular J bass pickup, which meant no volume drop off when compared to the P type pickup. The neck pickup soloed was just a very solid P bass tone and what's not to like about that? The only reason I sold it was that I went all five string, which didn't last as I'm back on four stringers again. If Maruszczyk hadn't been brought to my attention, I wouldn't have hesitated to get another Sandberg. FWIW, Chris Childs of Thunder (who, with Thunder's recent high profile can play anything he likes) plays Sandbergs these days.

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1494244860' post='3294254']

Alas, no! I was based in Cornwall at the time, but the bass in question is now with me in Norway; if you are ever in Trondheim :lol:

I got it in... 2011? And haven't played a jazz since that I preferred.
[/quote]

Sounds like a road trip!!!

Being in Scando land you should look at your Danish artist Neighbours bass in the MarloweDK.

Again different to a normal Jazz, the bridge pup is slightly further back making it more 'barky' and an even thinner neck than their regular jazz profile, beautiful balance.
The pre-amps and the slanted neck pup do really interest me, I think it would give just a bit more beef and authority, in some areas, and very responsive from what I have heard.

Is yours a masterpiece, or aged?

I do love their relic

I've had 6 Sandbergs and currently still have 4 (2 Umbos, a newer model VS4 and a 2004 VM4). Obviously I like them a lot :).
I find them very even across the fretboard with excellent playability and construction. The newer models seem lighter (my VS4 is 7.5lbs!) but none of my older ones are particularly heavy.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494251791' post='3294331']
Again different to a normal Jazz, the bridge pup is slightly further back making it more 'barky' and an even thinner neck than their regular jazz profile, beautiful balance.
The pre-amps and the slanted neck pup do really interest me, I think it would give just a bit more beef and authority, in some areas, and very responsive from what I have heard.

Is yours a masterpiece, or aged?
[/quote]

White body, pickguard and matched headstock (I think this was pretty common at one point). The body colour has mellowed nicely and the rosewood fretboard has some nice variation in it; not too homogenous and dark, so balances the white. I like it at least.

Theoretically the slanted pick up should be an advantage eh! But, I have a removable acoustic guitar pickup that I can spin around to adjust the angle; I'm not convinced I can hear a difference...

Anyway, that's another story. Sandbergs are nice things!

I like them, I've got 3 and I don't think any of them will be going anywhere soon B)

One of the things that I really like about them is the traditional styling but with a consistently excellent build quality and attention to detail compared to some of their competitors in the same price range.
My VM4 is active, it has Sanberg's own pickups and a 2 band Glockenklang pre-amp with active/passive switching. With the pre-amp set flat, switching from active to passive, there is no change in volume as with some other active basses. There's a very subtle tonal change as you'd expect, but the signal doesn't drop.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1494251915' post='3294334']
The newer models seem lighter (my VS4 is 7.5lbs!) but none of my older ones are particularly heavy.
[/quote]

I went to the Sandberg demo night hosted by Bass Direct a couple of years ago and had a good chat with the main man from Sandberg (I forget his name, Holger, or something like that, I think?) and he said the newer basses have chambered bodies to help reduce weight and increase resonance. I've played Kev (Opticaleye)'s VS4 and it is very light indeed, as is my passive TT4.

Edited by Osiris

Sandberg are great basses. I had a passive California TT4 a year or so back, and though it ultimately got sold to finance another bass, it was an awesome instrument.

Beautifully built, the best action/set up I've ever had, not a buzz anywhere. Nice and lightweight too.

Proper German build quality, and stunningly convincing light relicing too. In hindsight, not a bass I should have sold.

Sadly they didn't seem to hold their resale value as well at the time as some of the more established makes, which is a shame, or if you're buying secondhand, a very good thing.

Only on my first compared to some of the addicts round here but its a fantastic bass. Quality is up there with much more expensive Warwicks and the like. They are very well made, finished, tuners, bridge, all highest quality. In love with the forty eight shape too being a lover of thunderbirds but not being a fan of IV strings it has been the perfect machine for me.

Just took delivery of my second one yesterday. A California VM5 in natural finish with black scratchplate. Actually I part exchanged it for my other VM5 at Bass Direct. The old one was very nice indeed but I'm shallow and I couldn't get round the fact that I didn't like the tobacco sunburst and tortoise shell finish. But I spent 3 years being very happy with the sound and build quality. I made the swap by courier - I was happy to do so because of Sandbergs reputation for consistency in the QA department. So now I have a bass that I love looking at as well as playing.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1494240397' post='3294176']
No idea about the pickups, I'm afraid. They didn't sound exaggeratedly HiFi to me, more like a good modern active but plenty of thump where you need it.
[/quote]
I tried a few a few a couple of years back 2xTM's a Panther and Umbo. I loved the build quality and sound of the Panther and Umbo. I also liked the sound from the TM's when playing them at home but they didn't work for me live. They both had Delano's. I much prefer the Sandberg and Haussel?? pups.

I then moved to 5 strings, Stingrays and G&L's but remember Sandbergs being excellent basses

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1494660248' post='3297615']
You swapped a perfectly good bass just for how it looked?

I would totally do that as well. I salute you :)
[/quote]

Oh thank you! I thought I was the only one here who was superficial. It comes from playing a 6 string (you know, the squeaky type) for many years.

Edited by simesf