Why become a member? ×

12 string guitars

Bilbo

I had a Taylor 855 for some years. Expensive but a great instrument. I used it mostly for Blues fingerpicking. Lovely, full sound for strumming too. You can't buy them new anymore but a good used one might be worth a look. If there's a downside it's that it's a physically big instrument that won't suit everybody.

Edited by leftybassman392

Acoustic or electric?
Depends how much you want to spend but if I was to buy any acoustic 12 string then it would probably have to be a high end Guild, they just seem to do 12 strings better than anybody else.

I just broke the bank to buy a Taylor 562ce 12 fret & I'm so glad I did. It's super easy to play & by far the best 12 string tone I've ever heard, even with me playing it! The 254 is also a very nice guitar, but for me the 562 is just better & easier than the 200 & 800 series.

Depending on how wide you like your 12-string neck, I've yet to play a better electric 12 string than this one:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/HohnerTEXIICustom.jpg[/IMG]

Comfortably wide neck compared with a Rickenbacker and low-output lipstick tube pickups that give plenty of lovely 12-string shimmer. Unfortunately there are 2 very different Hohner 12-string electrics with the same model number and the other is a rather nasty telecaster shaped thing with unsympathetic hum bucking pickups which is best avoided!

Usual questions, how much do you want to spend, electric or acoustic and what are you looking to achieve?

Acoustic 12s can be hard work to play and there's a lot of finger pressure needed. The best 12 I ever played was a Fylde Prospero. If I ever see one for sale I'll buy it.

If you are looking for extra texture on recordings a six string in Nashville tuning can be an interesting alternative.

If it is acoustic you are after, the short time I ran your local(ish) Guitar Shop I was impressed by all the Aria 12s I had. So was one punter who did a straight swap with a Yamaha 12 that retailed at 3 times as much! Sandpiper (small body) if you can find one was a very sweet guitar.

I have a Simon and Patrick 12 string. Cedar top and a lovely full ringing sound. Not the easiest to play, though I expect if I spent more time playing it would get easier.
Decent mid priced guitars though and well worth a look.

• 2 months later...

My wife has bought me a Harley Benton 12 string guitar for my birthday. Once again, I am astonished at the quality of these guitars for the money. I have tuned it up and recorded a couple of minutes worth and it is absolutely fit for purpose. It's not a Taylor but, as a piece of kit for occasional recording etc, it's a very nice instrument.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/harleyh-benton-d200ce-12-bk