Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers.

bubinga5

Probably the king of the (mostly) forgotten art of rhythm guitar.
Remember hearing 'Le Freak' on an imported 12" single for the first time in 1978
and being totally blown away by the whole thing, especially the guitar and bass.
Was fortunate to see Nile and his band a couple of years ago in Leeds, amazing gig.

Another 70's tune with great guitar was George McRae's 'Rock your baby'. Sounds
deceptively simple but powers the song right through.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1494140893' post='3293500']
Probably the king of the (mostly) forgotten art of rhythm guitar.
Remember hearing 'Le Freak' on an imported 12" single for the first time in 1978
and being totally blown away by the whole thing, especially the guitar and bass.
Was fortunate to see Nile and his band a couple of years ago in Leeds, amazing gig.

Another 70's tune with great guitar was George McRae's 'Rock your baby'. Sounds
deceptively simple but powers the song right through.
[/quote]

Agree, about the forgotten art.
And yes, the Guitar playing on the George McRae track was great.
It seems the track was put together in less than an hour by (some of) 'KC and the Sunshine Band'.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Your_Baby

Paul Jackson Jnr was a terrific rhythm Guitarist in that funky style.

Dean Parks is another one with a great, distinctive Rhythm Guitar groove.
Top, top LA session player.
I knew he had done a lot, but his credit list is just daft.:)
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/dean-parks-mn0000227159/credits

Edited by lowdown

Yes stunning guitarist - seem to remember him on Rockschool demonstrating his technique of riffing whilst highlighting certain strings to accent parts of chords. Apparently Bernard suggested it to him. Anyway he took it to immense levels on things like 'Le Freak'. That is a great guitar part and I can't imagine it's easy to play.

One thing that gets overlooked with Chic besides their great bass/guitar skills is the chord sequences and string arrangements on the Chic hits (e.g. 'Everybody Dance') which they took with them to other artists when they produced: Sister Sledge's 'Forbidden Lover' and Carly Simon;s 'Why'. Not sure if that's Nile or Bernard or both?

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1494148313' post='3293577']
Seeing as were getting nostalgic and slushy..listen carefully to anything Bee Gees wise...monster studio playing on it all.
[/quote]

Apologies for this if you've never seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhsUQJ8go8

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1494465567' post='3296262']
He's very, very grounded in real life - tells it like it is, and he's street wise. They say don't meet your heroes but I did and left even more impressed than before I met him.
[/quote]

Given that his parents were, let's say, bohemian in their lifestyle he must have needed to be from the start.

It was bad enough for me when my dad went through a serious drinking phase. If they'd both been at it, Mum and Dad, I'd have left home at 13 for good! As it was I went to boarding school while they worked through it all. Nile's parents were indulging in far more damaging vices.

Good to hear he's as solid in real life as he seems to be in interview.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494486463' post='3296327']
Given that his parents were, let's say, bohemian in their lifestyle he must have needed to be from the start.
...Nile's parents were indulging in far more damaging vices.
[/quote]
They were but he's never criticised them for it. He was also shipped back and forth across the country to his grandmothers place twice because he was struggling to fit in at his school in California. In some ways, the experience with his parents gave him a fantastic grounding for being a producer, if you think about it.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1494832087' post='3298729']
They were but he's never criticised them for it. He was also shipped back and forth across the country to his grandmothers place twice because he was struggling to fit in at his school in California. In some ways, the experience with his parents gave him a fantastic grounding for being a producer, if you think about it.
[/quote]

Yes. That was my point really.