Why become a member? ×

New DHA pedal - help please

DHA

[quote name='DHA' timestamp='1508919268' post='3395269']
There are a couple of Spitfire bass versions ordered as well. Doing these now so won’t be long

Here is a link to the guitar version so you can see what it looks like

http://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk/2017/10/25/dhas-spitfire-ready-take-off/
[/quote]

Out of interest, what is the difference between the bass and guitar version?

And I'll definitely post my thoughts here when I've had a play.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1508922058' post='3395300']

[/quote]

the guitar version is a bit brighter with more top end.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1508922058' post='3395300']

[/quote]

If anyone plays guitar as well as bass then I recommend the bass version as it works very well for guitar if the bright is switched on and the treble and mid EQ pots are set a bit higher than normal. The guitar version is okay for bass but lacks a bit of low end and is a bit toppy.

I play guitar but tend to use bass versions of my pedals when gigging as I like the low end thump

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1509063582' post='3396441']
It's absolutely bangin'. I'm glad I sold all my other DI/Preamp pedals. I love the EQ and the filth. I'll write a proper post over the weekend when I've spent more time with it.
[/quote]

Looking forward to the review. I still have my beady eye on this pedal...

Great pedal.

The EQ section and gain sound means I'll be retiring the Xotic BB preamp, better bottom end tone and gain sound imho - no mud or fizz. Stacks nicely too with a range of overdrive, I'd call it classic rock sounding. Really neet having the DI aswell.

Super clean boost! I see what Dave says about power supply, no hum or hiss, it's the cleanest boost I've used but I have the power supply. Makes my old laney B1 sound really sweet indeed.

I haven't tried headphones or input out yet.

SO comparing this to my noble (A little unfair you may say) considering the DHA is less than a fifth of the price of the Noble it's punching well above its weight. You have to keep in mind though that the noble is essentially an amp front end with two tubes running at 350v plate voltage and the DHA is running at 24v BUT to be fair to the DHA it can cop a very similar vibe; the noble probably has a bit more presence than the DHA and is a bit more lively but £800 more lively? Probably not. The noble is a one trick pony but what a trick! The DHA allows for more control, i.e. you can overdrive it with the gain and colour plus it has mids which may be a plus point for some.

The DHA can get me a nice edge of breakup tube sound and does provide 'some fattening' to the sound. I'm yet to put it in front of my AER combo to see how it compares to the noble in that setting but through phones it's very pleasing. I will use it in church in front of the keyoard amp, the same as I do with my noble to see how it performs there.

Will the DHA replace my noble? Unlikely. BUT if i only had the DHA I would be VERY pleased with it.

I shall report back when I've got more to share.

But seriously people, you need one of these!

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1509063582' post='3396441']
It's absolutely bangin'. I'm glad I sold all my other DI/Preamp pedals. I love the EQ and the filth. I'll write a proper post over the weekend when I've spent more time with it.
[/quote]

What did you get rid of out of interest?

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1509459020' post='3399070']

What did you get rid of out of interest?
[/quote]

Hartke VXL
2 x MXR M80
Sansamp

I still have a Valeton Bass Dapper but that’s my rehearsal fly rig.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1509470547' post='3399231']
Hartke VXL
2 x MXR M80
Sansamp

I still have a Valeton Bass Dapper but that's my rehearsal fly rig.
[/quote]

I've had the M80 and Sansamp. DHA definitely up there with the sansamp and kills the M80 hands down

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1509549774' post='3399830']

I've had the M80 and Sansamp. DHA definitely up there with the sansamp and kills the M80 hands down
[/quote]

What’s interesting is how much control you get from the instrument volume knob. Much more than any of the others.

I haven’t tried it with my Cog dirt boxes yet.

The MXR M80 needs a rethink, it’s been surpassed by so many other products like the Mesa D, GK Plex and some others.

I’m very happy with the DHA and can’t wait to get it on my pedal board and out gigging.

I'd like to hear some sound samples of the new one. I know recordings may not capture the entire sound but curious anyway. I have a DHA VT EQ DI and struggle with it but love the M80 especially when stacked. Not sure I've ever had success with valves in preamps to be fair, they seem to take the edge off so the sound doesn't cut through.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1509621417' post='3400328']
I'd like to hear some sound samples of the new one. I know recordings may not capture the entire sound but curious anyway. I have a DHA VT EQ DI and struggle with it but love the M80 especially when stacked. Not sure I've ever had success with valves in preamps to be fair, they seem to take the edge off so the sound doesn't cut through.
[/quote]

What are you trying to 'cut through'?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1509629645' post='3400425']
What are you trying to 'cut through'?

Si
[/quote]

A bit of attack on the note helps define the bass lines in some of the groups I play in. When using some preamps, including ones with valves, they seem to take that edge off and the attack sounds soft, for lack of a better word. It also happens when using a Tech 21 VT. I play a bit hard and some of my basses have high output. I recognise that this contributes to pushing the input stages which is probably making the valve distort or at least compress the signal, even when using the input trim. IME and IMO, when using something like the M80, my basses sit in those band mixes better, at least to my ears. The groups aren't necessarily loud and there are no volume wars. I guess it's just a personal tone preference.

Gave the Spitfire a blast tonight with my band. I'm impressed. Through my ABM600 with everything off using just the Spitfire Pre Amp as the control, tight, punchy with a bit of bite. It fit right in... well built and looks great too.

Top job, thanks DHA

• Like 1

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1509660429' post='3400737']
Gave the Spitfire a blast tonight with my band. I'm impressed. Through my ABM600 with everything off using just the Spitfire Pre Amp as the control, tight, punchy with a bit of bite. It fit right in... well built and looks great too.

Top job, thanks DHA
[/quote]

Thanks for the reviews.

I have sent all the pre-order VT1-Pro-Bass and VT1-Spitfire-Bass pedals now. Just checking that you have all received okay?

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1509631908' post='3400457']
A bit of attack on the note helps define the bass lines in some of the groups I play in. When using some preamps, including ones with valves, they seem to take that edge off and the attack sounds soft, for lack of a better word. It also happens when using a Tech 21 VT. I play a bit hard and some of my basses have high output. I recognise that this contributes to pushing the input stages which is probably making the valve distort or at least compress the signal, even when using the input trim. IME and IMO, when using something like the M80, my basses sit in those band mixes better, at least to my ears. The groups aren't necessarily loud and there are no volume wars. I guess it's just a personal tone preference.
[/quote]

Interesting you mention this as I would concur that the DHA can sound 'soft' IMO but you can add some mids back in and if so inclined hit the bright switch; its definitely not crispy and sizzely! The Noble does not sound soft IMO and still retains the 'bite' to cut through. My hearing isn't great though and these comparisions are based through headphones and not through my amp yet. I owned the previous version of this pedal using it as the preamp to the poweramp I sold you and didn't struggle to get heard in a mix but we may have different tone goals.

• 2 weeks later...