Why become a member? ×

Black Sabbath fans please check this out

artisan

my band recorded a live demo set in the studio last Saturday.
almost all tracks were a one take recording with just a couple of overdubs due to lead guitar errors.
please have a listen & add your comments below
all comments are appreciated,but please remember it is a totally live recording.
cheers.
https://soundcloud.com/artisan1967/sets/jack-sabbath

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1494004576' post='3292588']...
please have a listen & add your comments below...
[/quote]

Quite a lot to listen to, there; I'll admit to not having played 'em all, all of the way through. Excellent playing, very tight for a 'live', one-take effort (I assume that you were all playing together, not recording individually..?). As such, a fine demo of what the band may deliver on stage. Not entirely convinced by the quality of the vocals. He gets away with much, but pitch is an issue a bit too often. It's overcome with sincerity, but it doesn't always work.
The mix is fair enough for a one-shot demo; the 'real' BS tracks probably had far more post-production, to bring out individual elements of each song. As it is, your demo has a 'sameness' throughout. That could be considered a Good Thing, though.
What's with the compression, though..? Right up to the limit for most tracks. Dynamic suffers as a result (for me...), and the ear is quickly tired by such incessant intensity. I'm aware that it's part of the genre, but still...
Altogether a very presentable demo, for which you may (all...) be rightly proud. It stands up quite well to comparison with the originals, in the circumstances. Well done, y'all.

Thanks guys.
He admits he's not a great singer but he's a great bloke & makes up for it with his stage presence.

We were all in the room together,no separate vocal booth or anything like that.
I'm very pleased with it,I'll admit I wasn't aware of the compression,it sounds good to my old lugs
😀

Had to listen to War Pigs as its in our set too. Cracking song and fun to play. Also see you do Crazy Train too, which is also in our set!

The music is well tight for a live take. The 2 songs seems a bit fast though but work. The singers voice is unusual and there is something about him which i like but also something i don't. I would have to see you live and what his stage presence is. If he can be a real front man he should be ok. I will have to listen to the rest another time but what you have done is great.

Shameless plug for our Soundcloud tracks which feature live gig recordings or War Pigs & Crazy Train. I used a cheap Line 6 BackTrack so the quality isn't great.
https://soundcloud.com/carl-mepsted

Thanks everyone for your comments in do appreciate it.
Personally I don't mind his vocals,OK he's very shakey on crazy train but I can live with the rest of it.
He's a good friend & totally bonkers,we all have such a laugh,it's just a bit of fun for us.
As for the video above,while that singer is assuredly a better vocalist I personally don't like his voice.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494100973' post='3293330']

You never know, it could help. It could be that he's just struggling to pitch himself.
[/quote]
You're probably right there,I'll price some up for him.
Cheers

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1494007698' post='3292615']
Thanks guys.
He admits he's not a great singer but he's a great bloke & makes up for it with his stage presence.
[/quote]

lot's of great blokes who can't sing have ruined bands filled with great players.

A bad singer = a bad band.

good blokes don't cut it. ditch him or forever be playing crappy dive bars for tips.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494144454' post='3293529']

That's all very well, but you just don't do that to good friends, which is how the OP has described him.
[/quote]
+ 1000000
Thank you
There's no way I would loose a friend over a band,we'll just have to try to tune him up a bit.

Put the band in a pub full of Sabbath fans after a few beers and it'll pass ok.
Not the best singer but once there's a crowd and an atmosphere it might work pretty well especially if the singer has some stage presence.
Lets be honest Ozzy was never the best singer either and he freely admits that in his book.
What he did have to cover it on many occasions was stage presence and outrageous acts of stupidity but that's showmanship.

If he's a good mate and you are all enjoying it and audiences are there to see you then all well and good.

The IEM thing might just be all that's needed. Its amazing how difficult it is to sing in tune when you can't actually hear yourself. Some pros can get away with it no probs others cant.

Good luck and hope it works out well for you guys.

Dave

The singer has the Ozzy like tone, and is a great fit in that respect, but the pitching is a bit painful at times (quite a lot of the time actually).
I don't know if singing lessons can correct poor pitch, but certainly worth a try. Or it could be that he just can't hear himself.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494144454' post='3293529']
That's all very well, but you just don't do that to good friends, which is how the OP has described him.
[/quote]

true, but the OP didn't say he was a good friend, just a good bloke.

I managed a band that had seven members. One was the singers brother who played a tambourine . Another friend was on keys, he could barely play the simplest chords.

The band never went far coz splitting far call between 7 members doesn't pay for strings, let alone petrol.

Now that I know he is a mate of yours, you should keep playing with him, but try to convince him to take lessons, maybe if you all announced you are all taking lessons to improve he will join in?

Never too old for lessons, our drummer is starting lessons. He is 65 !

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1494005443' post='3292597']
I like it and like the singer's voice but his voice is out of tune.
[/quote]

I loved it initially... then the singer came in. Ugh. The band sounds great but I feel you're let down (badly) by your choice of singer. Lead guitar is not great but it works well enough, however the vocals being off pitch really puts me off and I could not watch the band because of that. Being out of tune (any instrument) hurts my ears.

Artisan i'm a huge Sabbath fan have been since the early 70's...sorry my friend if you are taking this seriously as a Sabbath/Ozzy tribute your singer will definitely have to go to be quite blunt he's bloody awful...sorry....you guys deserve a better just my opinion mind

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1494149685' post='3293588']
There's no way I would loose a friend over a band,we'll just have to try to tune him up a bit.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's a tough call when you're there, and a friendship is worth more. Which is why it pays to do these things early. I was in a similar situation with a friend who sometimes could pull it off, but most times was painfully out of tune. I thought with practice/coaching he'd get better... He did not. In the end the band just folded. But I was also involved in other bands so I was getting my 'fix' and he got to sing... but we could never get the right people to stay and I am positive it was because the vocals were not good. It really makes or breaks the band.

I hope he improves with better monitoring, although I suspect that vocal coaching might do him more good than that. My friend took lessons for a while and there was a clear improvement over that period... but then he got sick, stopped going and it never get good enough.

Coming back to the point, I've had a listen to most of the tracks and I have a few thoughts.

The inch think compression was jarring at first, but I got used to it. The level of (I think) gated reverb used on the drums though was quite odd. What with the synth lines, it had all gone a bit Parisian Walkways!

Gtr and bass (natch) were the best thing happening here and were tight to eachother. Even so, gtr might want a more classic o/d for the Iommi stuff.

More often than not, drums were chasing, not leading. Felt like they hadn't had as much rehearsal as the rest.

I'm not sure the synth lines added anything. To me, they got in the way of the space in the early material. Especially when they bled on the stabs for War Pigs.

A lot of people have talked about the singer already. Tonally, he's tending to be sharp in the loud bits - so monitoring could help that.

There are two other things I'd pick out, though. Mainly, I think this chap needs to learn how to use his diaphragm whilst singing. This is something Ozzy did without much thought, but most have to develop. Breath control will mean your man will get to the end of notes without falling away in pitch and volume. The other thing is range. I don't think this chap has Ozzy's range - but learning to breathe might uncover some top end that wasn't there.

All in all, a good work in progress. All the best in your endeavours! 😀👍🤘