Why become a member? ×

Effects after Vintage Microtubes ?

isteen

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1493983982' post='3292354']
I use a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes as an always on mild drive. Does any of you use anything in combinstion with it (reverb, chorus etc.)?
[/quote]

I just got one of these lovely pedals and have enjoyed using it subtly with an envelope filter, very nice. :)

Good shout, filter/wah going into this pedal subs very nice indeed.

From here I would either look at one of those, or another overdrive/distortion/fuzz to stack before it, or something like a chorus pedal. If you've no idea what kind of effect you might like, get a Zoom multi and have a play!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1494050392' post='3292821']
If you've no idea what kind of effect you might like, get a Zoom multi and have a play!
[/quote]

+1 to that! :)

I've recently got a B3n and am really enjoying it. Am very tempted to go in the opposite direction and get the Vintage Microtubes pedal though.

I'm thinking I might need to pay a bit extra for either the VM Deluxe or VM Ultra version of this pedal as they provide additional EQ shaping and have XLR DI out which could also be useful, particularly as this feature has been omitted from the B3n. Although I can normally deal with EQ at the amp stage (and my Markbass allows a post EQ DI), I can see these additional features could be useful when I don't have the luxury of going through my amp.

Some reviews also suggest a slightly warmer tone for the Deluxe, although not sure why that should be the case if they are both based around the same core circuitry?

Edited by Al Krow

The standard Vintage has a rather muffled top end like your cab has a blanket over it. I found it necessary to step up to the Deluxe to overcome that. The other way to get a more lively sounding Vintage is to buy a Vulcan instead, that's what I did in the end!

I use mine as an always on overdrive too (usually with Blend at 11 o'clock, Level at 12, Era at 3 and Drive at 11). I also have a MXR Analog Chorus and EHX Bass Big Muff on my board that I use for certain songs in conjunction with the Vintage Microtubes.

I'm not sure if there's a right or wrong pedal order but the pedal order on my board is: Line 6 G3 > MXR Analog Chorus > Darkglass Vintage Microtubes > EHX Bass Big Muff.

Actually I use my VM into a Bass Muff Nano.
My board is Tuner-Vintage Microtubes-Bass Big Muff Nano - Zoom MS-60B

I use the VM to color my tone, and adding just a bit overdrive. In guitar solos etc. I kick in the Muff, for a fat sounding drive in my bass. The Zoom is just my toy for playing around with.

Edited by isteen