Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for small combo

thepurpleblob

I currently gig with a Barefaced/GenzBenz combo which is great. However, I have just joined a band with a proper full PA and I'll be going through that.

They also like to work out songs in the guitarist's house and just use rehearsal studios to add the drums later.

I'm thinking it might be an idea (excuse) to get a decent, small combo to do both. Also means I don't need to steal the wife's 4x4 for every rehearsal/gig.

Thoughts / recommendations?

Edited by thepurpleblob

I use a GK 112 MB II combo. It's a great size and fairly light, I use it for rehearsals, and most of my gigs have full PA so it's now my go to amp. My Barfaced compact doesn't leave the house now as it's overkill for wedding gigs! I also have the extension cab - it's a powered extension cab so you get 400w from the two, I mainly use this to get the amp closer to ear height or if I'm playing Marquee gigs when I need to push more air.

Heres a[url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gallien-kruger-mb112-bass-combo/60011?gclid=Cj0KEQjwxbDIBRCL99Wls-nLicoBEiQAWroh6sqfNxs5Fk297YfiYVxZeT4qMf4tCBY3m8LBbot4uKoaAgsM8P8HAQ"] link [/url]

As with every combo thread see Fender Rumble or TC electronic range of combos.

Very highly regarded and very good prices used.

See this threads also: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240948-the-best-combo-for-under-l1000/page__st__60__p__3252980__hl__combo%20under__fromsearch__1#entry3252980

I'm sure others will be along soon with more recommendations!

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1493978383' post='3292275']
Why not get hold of a BF One 10 or Two 10 and use that with the GB head?

If you want a bit more low end and hifi mids the new Genzler 10-2 array cabs are really good but more expensive.
[/quote]

I remember not being able to eat for months after buying the 2x12 I have now!! They're great but bloody expensive. I don't think I'd get it passed the management. :(

I'd also like a complete backup (which I don't have at the moment)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1493978576' post='3292281']

I remember not being able to eat for months after buying the 2x12 I have now!! They're great but bloody expensive. I don't think I'd get it passed the management. :(

I'd also like a complete backup (which I don't have at the moment)
[/quote]

I would have seconded DBerriff's suggestion, but if that's a bit too spendy, suggest getting a less expensive smaller cab. Appreciate your wish for something complete, but buyinng a combo will mean you are spending money on duplicating your amplification, which will use up budget needlessly. A nice used 1x12 neo isn't going to weigh a lot or take up a lot of space and your Genz is hardly heavy.

Ah. Budget?

2x12" is a lot to cart around. And expensive! A used One 10" should appear on the Bass Direct website this week. It is loud enough for a 15-piece big band, but probably not a loud rock rehearsal.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1493979671' post='3292292']
I would have seconded DBerriff's suggestion, but if that's a bit too spendy, suggest getting a less expensive smaller cab. Appreciate your wish for something complete, but buyinng a combo will mean you are spending money on duplicating your amplification, which will use up budget needlessly. A nice used 1x12 neo isn't going to weigh a lot or take up a lot of space and your Genz is hardly heavy.
[/quote]
Mark Bass 121H traveler is nice and light and packs a decent punch too at 500w. ;)

Edited by blunderthumbs