Why become a member? ×

1971 P bass - a rare bargain .....or a trap for the unwary ?

Never seen one quite like this.......but why do I feel unconvinced ? :mellow:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172656696420?ul_noapp=true"]http://www.ebay.co.u...0?ul_noapp=true[/url]

Perhaps its the quality screws to hold on the ashtrays
Or the apparent tiger striping of the body.

Dunno. Maybe Im wrong. After all I'm not an expert......but Id like to know what the experts think.

(And if youre the owner, I just happen to be leaving the country now...... :ph34r: )

Edited by loweringthetone

It looks like the lacquer cracking creates that tiger stripe effect. I have never seen a cracked seafoam lacquer myself. The bridge cover screws have washers underneath - I'd imagine to keep the original screws inside (not lose them) and not damage the lacquer around that area?
It looks rad though.

Edited by PawelG

That one smells very dodgy Colin, you're right to be weary. I wouldn't ever call myself an expert, but having seen a large number of vintage basses I'm convinced that the finish and overall vibe doesn't look right at all for an original finish. I'm fairly sure that 71 seems late for a SFG, and custom colour plates were mostly white back then.

Hope you still have that lovely '69 :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

Just to be contrary, and FWIW, I reckon it's genuine.

I agree that it [i][b]looks [/b][/i]dodgy but I think that's down to the photography. I have no idea what camera or settings he was using, but it has resulted in very unconvincing colours and textures. Try ignoring the bass and looking at the tiled floor underneath.

Based on this http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html that colour was discontinued in 1969.

Still got a bad feeling about the originalality of the finish, especially as you hardly ever see Poly crack like that... and on an incredibly rear colour too? Mmm......

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1493983277' post='3292348']
Based on this [url="http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html"]http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html[/url] that colour was discontinued in 1969.

Still got a bad feeling about the originalality of the finish, especially as you hardly ever see Poly crack like that... and on an incredibly rear colour too? Mmm......
[/quote]

On an incredibly [b]rear [/b]colour? I take it you don't like that colour then! :D

I have nothing close to enough experience to offer any opinion on its provenance but personally I think it's a bit of a looker. I agree that it looks like cracking in the lacquer and I think you would struggle to achieve that if you tried.

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1494012989' post='3292659']
I've seen a Shergold with crackling like that. I still can't help thinking it's has some sort of refinish over it though.
[/quote]
To stop the lacquer lifting perhaps?

When pic 6 is enlarged, where it's chipped (although it's hard to tell as it's pixelated when enlarged). It does look like there's a darker coat underneath. Yet again, just to make things harder, I believe that Fender often painted over other finishes!

Big THANKS for all the advice. Very useful. Quite a wide variety of views and I think youre right about the apparent 'tigerstripe' being 'crackling'
There's a darker colour underneath, but like itsmedunc, I believe they overpainted sunburst for custom colours.
The seller has 100% feedback and maybe thinks its genuine.
I am, however, staying well clear unless the mood takes me to go look at it.

£797 with 4 days to go - guess a clearly genuine one might have attracted more. It will be interesting to see how much it eventually goes for.

Thanks again

It's worth noting that this guy has a lot of other very old, very nice six strings for sale. So I'd chance my arm and say he's not a scammer. Not sure what to make of that finish though...looks nice, but not...erm...age appropriate?

I've seen a few instruments with this sort of finish cracking (most recently an older Stingray) but none quite as pronounced as this.

SF Green definitely not standard for this era but you can never tell with Fender who quite often did an odd custom finish or simply discovered an old body on a shelf and bolted newer necks and hardware on it.

On balance it feels like a refin, possibly an old one, but tough to tell without seeing it up close and inside the neck and control cavity.

If you're seriously interested then I'd ask for pics of these and any other dating info like the neck stamp and pot numbers etc.

I think it is one that needs close examination, I think the gasket on the neck plate is wrong for a 71 bass, it is a minor bit that could have been added later but it does raise questions, but more than anything the paint finish worries me, the only time I have seen checking like that is on a Nitro finished bass which as far as I know Fender stopped doing in 1968 so a 71 bass would be a poly finish, I have a candy apple red Precision which had a gold poly base coat with a Nitro red tint on top, that has checked in a similar way, sadly not quite as impressively as the bass in question but it does suggest it has a poly finish underneath with a later Nitro coat on top, I think it is unlikely to be a factory finish as Fender had no custom shop at the time?

I suppose it could be a Nitro finish underneath with a Poly coat on top but I have no idea whether that would check in the same way as doing it the other way around