Why become a member? ×

What is it about guitarists

Nicko

Our new rhythm guitarist left after just 3 practice sessions. There was no sign he was unhappy, but personally I thought he was no good anyway. We have a gig coming up in August and we are at the point where honestly we cant be bothered to try to get another bloke in and get him up to speed.

When the last guy left (late Feb) we decided we really wanted to stay as a five piece so effectively we have wasted 12 weeks when we could hae been arranging the set for a 4 piece. I'm really hcked off about this.

The biggest pain is we only chose to go with him because he had some BVs, and the other people who auditioned were clearly better guitarists but have been snapped up.

Your fault. If you had learned to sing BV, you would have judged auditioners purely on their guit skills. Then again, if you had learned to play guit, you would be looking for a bass player, and we're all reliable.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493977412' post='3292255']
Maybe he felt the negs ? Or realised he was not good enough? There are many possible reasons..
[/quote]

Agreed 100%

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1493978189' post='3292271']
My instinct would be to hire the best guitarist and then worry about BVs (if I can learn how to do it anybody can :lol: ). Too late to worry about it this time around of course, but even so...
[/quote]

After 50 years of doing this, I always say go with the best person. The best guitar player could be the worse person for the band

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493978361' post='3292273']
After 50 years of doing this, I always say go with the best person. The best guitar player could be the worse person for the band

Blue
[/quote]

Makes a lot of sense to me

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1493978494' post='3292278']

The best person meaning...?
[/quote]

Suppose the best guitarist also has a huge ego and is difficult to work with. These types can hold back band progress..

The adequate guitarist with a great positive attitude and understands how to work with people and be in a band is the better choice. IMO

A person everyone likes to be around.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493978968' post='3292285']
Suppose the best guitarist also has a huge ego and is difficult to work with. These types can hold back band progress..

The adequate guitarist with a great positive attitude and understands how to work with people and be in a band is the better choice. IMO

Blue
[/quote]

Well it's a rhythm guitarist's job we're talking about, so ego is less likely to be so much of an issue. If it was a lead guitarist I would agree (up to a point - ego can just as easily be an issue for anyone - including the bass player). I stand by what I said earlier (albeit with only 20 years of experience). A professional ensemble (that is to say, an ensemble of professionally trained musicians) would routinely look at the best player first; ego issues would be some way down the list.

Edited by leftybassman392

^ +2000

I've been fortunate that most bands i've been in became a family and i'm still great friends with everyone i played with. There's nothing better for a band that having a real connection between the members. People enjoy themselves more whilst playing and become more driven to get better and better knowing they have the support of the rest of the band. I would go for the best person with the best personality every day.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1493976980' post='3292248']
Your fault. If you had learned to sing BV, you would have judged auditioners purely on their guit skills. Then again, if you had learned to play guit, you would be looking for a bass player, and we're all reliable.
[/quote]

There used to be a local adult education centre near me that ran a course called "anyone can sing". I nearly went along just to prove them wrong. As a convert to bass from 6 string I did offer the option of me playing guit.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493977412' post='3292255']
Maybe he felt the negs ? Or realised he was not good enough? There are many possible reasons..
[/quote]

I don't think there were any negative vibes, as far as I know it was only me that was suspecting he wasn't going to work out although he might have realised he lacked the ability to earn the set list (which as far as I can tell isn't that difficult rhythm wise).

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1493988284' post='3292403']
We have a gig on June 2nd with a dep singer. She will have one practice with us on May 28th. Guitarist now tells us he cant do the practice and isn't aware of why this is a problem.
[/quote]

Car crash..

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493978361' post='3292273']

Blue
[/quote]

I would agree totally.

You want reliability.

That's generally the second question after 'are they any good?'

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493978968' post='3292285']

A person everyone likes to be around.

Blue
[/quote]

Blue is correct, as usual, his wisdom is infallible :)

Mr Blue nails it again.

I mean, who would one rather work with? Ronnie Wood or the highly-strung Jeff Beck? Rick Parfitt or grouchy old Francis Rossi? The unassuming, biddable Mr Frank Sampedro or his cranky, nitpicking boss Mr Neil Young?

Quod erat demonstrandum.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1493982586' post='3292338']

There used to be a local adult education centre near me that ran a course called "anyone can sing". I nearly went along just to prove them wrong. As a convert to bass from 6 string I did offer the option of me playing guit.
[/quote]
I have never sung, have never had any interest in doing so beyond a few tunes in the car so don't care what I sound like. For a recent gig we went down to a three piece after the rhythm guitarist injured himself so I ended up doing BV and just about carried it off (luckily it was mostly punk numbers). I am lucky to have access to a mate who is a music teacher and has taught singing in the past and claims to be able to get anyone to at least a passable standard. I had my first session yesterday and will continue for the foreseeable future.

I will see if you are right, or if he is within a few weeks I think!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1493979504' post='3292291']

Well it's a rhythm guitarist's job we're talking about, so ego is less likely to be so much of an issue. If it was a lead guitarist I would agree (up to a point - ego can just as easily be an issue for anyone - including the bass player). I stand by what I said earlier (albeit with only 20 years of experience). A professional ensemble (that is to say, an ensemble of professionally trained musicians) would routinely look at the best player first; ego issues would be some way down the list.
[/quote]

So your really cool with the best player with ego issues, hard to work with, doesn't show up for rehearsals, critical of other band members abilities, only plays songs the way he wants to and overall brings a destructive element to the band?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494007401' post='3292614']
So your really cool with the best player with ego issues, hard to work with, doesn't show up for rehearsals, critical of other band members abilities, only plays songs the way he wants to and overall brings a destructive element to the band?

Blue
[/quote]

No.

I said I'd look at proficiency on their instrument first. How you got from that to what you just posted is lost on me I'm afraid.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1494007917' post='3292617']

No.

I said I'd look at proficiency on their instrument first. How you got from that to what you just posted is lost on me I'm afraid.
[/quote]

Cool,

I didn't think you'd want to bring a negative ekenent into a band.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494009273' post='3292630']
Cool,

I didn't think you'd want to bring a negative ekenent into a band.

Blue
[/quote]

As I've said - three times now - I'd look for the best rhythm guitarist first. If he's a bit of a PITA I'd live with it, but he'd need to be a complete asshole before I'd look further.

What I wouldn't do is accept a poor rhythm guitarist just because he's a really nice, positive, helpful guy.

I know your opinion, and now you know mine.

Is there anything else?