Why become a member? ×

Hofner 1964 Project

SpikeBass

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494510578' post='3296622']
Cripes. Now we need to know how much "difficult" costs I suppose. Can a partial restoration be completed around the neck join as it is now?
[/quote]

No the neck needs to come off as it was so badly attempted to be repaired before. The truss rod is fine and works. The Luthier Terry is SUPERB and even though he says it will be very difficult to remove the neck without causing any damage to the finish of the guitar, I am confident that any damage (if any) will be minimal. He has stated that he could not do any repair to the finish of the guitar because of health issues, so I guess it involves chemical treatment? regardless, the important thing is that the bass plays & sounds good, I can live with any blemishes to the woodwork and I am even happy to sand it down and refinish myself... I'm basically waiting now to see what happens. I will of cause update here.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494482084' post='3296288']

It can't hurt to have a bit of variety I suppose. It should certainly please the fans who are taking any sort of notice of what's going on on stage.

Have you encountered any problems with feedback indoors? Sir Paul reckoned it was quite a problem for the hollow-bodied Hoff in tight venues. I have a theory that it is was of the challenges that made his playing slightly better than it might have been otherwise.

Frampton? Nice. I hope on the day he isn't too heavy on the vocorder. There is a real danger that that is all he will be remembered for. I'm thinking you can't do much better than a weekend slot opening for the likes of Peter though. Well done.
[/quote]

Thanks Spondon,

Yes my Hofner has the same feedback issue. It's a hollow body obviously and remember the German made Hofner don't have the wood block inside.

I'm going to gig with it inside and out up until the show with Frampton to get reaclimated with all the nuances of the Hofner bass.

I will have MIJ Fender P as back up.

Blue

[quote name='SpikeBass' timestamp='1494513751' post='3296655']

No the neck needs to come off as it was so badly attempted to be repaired before. The truss rod is fine and works. The Luthier Terry is SUPERB and even though he says it will be very difficult to remove the neck without causing any damage to the finish of the guitar, I am confident that any damage (if any) will be minimal. He has stated that he could not do any repair to the finish of the guitar because of health issues, so I guess it involves chemical treatment? regardless, the important thing is that the bass plays & sounds good, I can live with any blemishes to the woodwork and I am even happy to sand it down and refinish myself... I'm basically waiting now to see what happens. I will of cause update here.
[/quote]

I believe it's a set neck, you should be fine.

I don't think Hofner ever made bolt ons.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494531690' post='3296827']
Thanks Spondon,

Yes my Hofner has the same feedback issue. It's a hollow body obviously and remember the German made Hofner don't have the wood block inside.

I'm going to gig with it inside and out up until the show with Frampton to get reaclimated with all the nuances of the Hofner bass.

I will have MIJ Fender P as back up.

Blue
[/quote]

Good man! I hope you can get someone to post a clip from your set at the festival. Break legs in any case (assuming there isn't a muso version of the "break a leg" sentiment).

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494531795' post='3296829']
I believe it's a set neck, you should be fine.

I don't think Hofner ever made bolt OBS.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes it is a set neck but an attempt to re-set it before the person has used an epoxy resin making it very hard to remove. The normal process is to use steam to soften the glue and remove the neck, however, epoxy resin does not really soften, it's totally the wrong glue... no bolts required.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1494443862' post='3296082']
The tone of your response suggests the lighthearted nature of my comment has gone right over your head.
[/quote]

Not at all. No 'tone' was intended, I was just noting [i]my[/i] single-minded error. OK now?

Edited by Wylie

Update ... the neck is stuck solid and Terry does not want to chance causing more damage to the bass.. He has suggested, the bridge has a lot of meat on it and by straightening the neck and shaving down the bridge we could actually make it very playable, there is an upward bow at the heel that could be shaved down, however he says he has the action down to 2mm.... REALLY?... I will go to collect it Monday and he says if I'm not happy then we can trim down the heel a bit ..

The electrics are working now, whoever tried to repair this made a royal pigs ear with it and in their genius have not wired the P-ups properly, DOH! so fingers crossed.

Will update with photos tomorrow

The BIG update is here.
I have the bass back, it is 200% better than it was but due to a rise at the heel end of the neck it could not be done to Terry's satisfaction and as a result he did not charge me for the re-fret or the time spent.. It will need to have the rosewood taken off the neck, planed down and then reset again. I do not have the money for that right now but I WILL be getting it done by Terry. The P-Ups are dead so they will go away for a rewind in good time, until then, I have used the ones from my HCT and they are identical and sound GREAT. The action is well playable especially for traditional SKA it makes for a very 'upright' sound, I love it. Here are some photos, I bought Terry a very nice bottle of wine as a 'thank you', I have a lot of work done with Terry, he is always bang on the money & honest.

[attachment=245477:M1020209.jpg]
[attachment=245478:M1020210.jpg]
[attachment=245479:M1020211.jpg]
[attachment=245480:M1020212.jpg]
[attachment=245481:M1020213.jpg]
[attachment=245482:M1020214.jpg]

[quote name='SpikeBass' timestamp='1495027270' post='3300599']
The BIG update is here.
I have the bass back, it is 200% better than it was but due to a rise at the heel end of the neck it could not be done to Terry's satisfaction and as a result he did not charge me for the re-fret or the time spent.. It will need to have the rosewood taken off the neck, planed down and then reset again. I do not have the money for that right now but I WILL be getting it done by Terry. The P-Ups are dead so they will go away for a rewind in good time, until then, I have used the ones from my HCT and they are identical and sound GREAT. The action is well playable especially for traditional SKA it makes for a very 'upright' sound, I love it. Here are some photos, I bought Terry a very nice bottle of wine as a 'thank you', I have a lot of work done with Terry, he is always bang on the money & honest.
[/quote]

It's looking lovely. It's also great to hear that it is playable despite the remaining problems. Well done to Terry and yourself.

My HCT Hofner bass is undergoing a transformation now after I used the Pickups for my '64 (they are identical to the originals).
I decided I either sell it or do something weird, so I have had it converted to a fretless and I am waiting for some Artec pickups for it, here are some photos, plays very nice.

[attachment=245684:M1020215.jpg]

[attachment=245685:M1020216.jpg]

[attachment=245686:M1020217.jpg]