Why become a member? ×

Unbelievably Awful Customer Service...

binky_bass

So I got in contact with Jerzy Drozd a few weeks ago to enquire about the cost of a build and to know what the original cost of a pre-owned bass I bought was. I mentioned in my email that the website was very difficult to navigate and very difficult actually find out any useful information. (Take a look).

It took well over 2 weeks to get a response, and the response I got was that I needed to fill in a 10 page (10 page!!!) questionnaire just for them to let me know a ball park cost for a build... some of the sections actually requires you to write an essay, and I am not exaggerating.

I emailed back to say this was a bit ridiculous and that I didn't want to fill out a 10 page questionnaire just to get an idea of cost from a builder, I had already provide a rough spec and all I wanted was a rough price.

I was then emailed back to say that Jerzy Drozd 'choose their clients' and that he hadn't responded to me for over 2 weeks because he didn't like the fact I mentioned the website being difficult to navigate, there was a further back and forth which was full of arrogance, his attitude was so superior as if he was the single greatest master of bass on the planet, the website actually reflects this pretty well, referring to himself as "the master".

I'd like to know if anyone else has contacted Jerzy and received the same level of arrogance and rudeness from him?

Russ.

Ivjust looked at the site. Initially it was in English. Then it all turned to Spannish. Not easy to use at all.

The crazy thing is, many companies pay a fortune to get customer feedback, while he goes outvof his way to avoid it.

Find another builder.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1493825308' post='3291025']
Just looked at the site. Sounds a pretentious twerp. Give yer hard earned to someone who deserves it.
[/quote]

Definitely.
I got as far as "An aristocracy of artistic instrument" before I was engulfed by nausea.
He could teach Calvin Klein a thing or 2 about pretension.

I've had a few custom builds done by different makers over the years, and in a couple of instances I encountered a not dissimilar attitude. It was a struggle to get a couple of them to build what I wanted - even happily making concessions for a perfectly understandable belief in their own particular design and style (and having come to them, I knew what they were about) they wanted to make what they thought I should have, not what I was asking for. But in each case I was welcomed as a customer, and it only became a bit of a battle later on.

If Master Drozd & Co. aren't even prepared to try to be polite to entice you in initially, they clearly have plenty of other takers for their particular brand of weirdness, so I would leave them to it!

Edited by lowregisterhead

What a shot in the foot from them! It's a real shame as JD are amongst the few high quality and great sounding/feeling basses i've ever tried. Your post puts me off thinking about ordering one from them (if i had the money...). Awfull CS in deed. Spend your money elsewere or, if you really want a JD, just buy a used one and stick a Fender decal on it! :D

The website does scream pretentious... It's such a shame as the basses are great, but I can't get past a bad attitude of a builder.

I mean Fred Bolton of Bee Basses, Bill Conklin, Alan of ACG, Sanders De Gier, Chris of Overwater, Jens Ritter and even Hans P. Wilfer of Warwick, all of these guys are spot on, they talk to you, they discuss with you and guide the project and are generally top blokes from my experience in talking with them through email etc.

I don't understand the arse-ish attitude of certain builders... It goes without saying that Jerzy will not ever have my business, it's also soiled the bass I do have somewhat!

Anyone for a soiled Jerzy Drozd 7 string?! ;)

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1493829778' post='3291092']
The website does scream pretentious... It's such a shame as the basses are great, but I can't get past a bad attitude of a builder.

I mean Fred Bolton of Bee Basses, Bill Conklin, Alan of ACG, Sanders De Gier, Chris of Overwater, Jens Ritter and even Hans P. Wilfer of Warwick, all of these guys are spot on, they talk to you, they discuss with you and guide the project and are generally top blokes from my experience in talking with them through email etc.

I don't understand the arse-ish attitude of certain builders... It goes without saying that Jerzy will not ever have my business, it's also soiled the bass I do have somewhat!

Anyone for a soiled Jerzy Drozd 7 string?! ;)
[/quote]

You've got. Jerzy Drozd?

Nice, you've got a great collection.

I know you need to sell yourself but the level of self congratulation is appalling. Even if it were true it still reads as vomit inducingly self congratulatory to a level that I have rarely had the misfortune to come across before.

Take your money elsewhere.

It's a pity that you had this experience. I quite like some of his bass designs, and I was contemplating having one ordered some years ago.
I still receive his newsletters and occasionally check the website and can't help to see that the way of the communication is going into a direction that I find 'over the top' sometimes. It's just too much for me. But I don't doubt that he creates some great basses. Maybe he had a bad day? (not that it is an excuse for anything)

I don't get this Prima Donna attitude, I think he may have forgotten that there are other luthiers out there who are civil and polite as part of the service before getting your custom.

You only need to stick around here for a few weeks to get positive feedback about who are the real great luthiers. Personally I've had great service from Alan at ACG, Bernie at GB, John Diggins at Jaydee and Andyjr1515. All have been keen to get all the details right on their wares and to make me feel like my custom was valued.

I'm sure that others can recommend their own personal favourites, if you're not happy with Jerzy's attitude vote, with your wallet and look elsewhere.

Kick him into touch, there is a load of choice so it's good to put one builder into the smug git column and narrow the field down a bit.
Alpher bass will be my stop if I ever get another custom job, he's producing some very tasty gear.

Providing that when commissioned they give you an outstanding professional and personal service , I think that fact that small business can operate like this a good thing , what I mean is that they must be busy enough and won't entertain every request from potential cleints when they should be focusing on current ones (perhaps the 10 page form weeds the serious ones out , perhaps it covers all the things they've had issues with before?)

Anyway , you vote with your feet and it seems you'll go elsewhere . I'm not saying they aren't arrogant , just that it's nice all our small businesses aren't like American food outlets on the face

FWIW, I've read similar criticism on Talkbass. That is, a Joe Zon-esque penchant for delays but coupled with a rather abrasive personality.

I gather Jerzy has an administrator working at his shop to manage e-mail inquiries and the website, along with anything else that isn't carving wood and winding pickups. It seems to have been a good move for the company even if communication is slow because neither Jerzy nor his employee are native English speakers and stuff often can only be answered by Jerzy.

There seems to be a theme amongst the criticism that Jerzy has an inflated opinion of himself and it would appear that a few customers have been put off by that.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1493837685' post='3291191']
(perhaps the 10 page form weeds the serious ones out , perhaps it covers all the things they've had issues with before?)
Anyway , you vote with your feet and it seems you'll go elsewhere . I'm not saying they aren't arrogant , just that it's nice all our small businesses aren't like American food outlets on the face
[/quote]

For make that 10 page form makes a certain sense, whoever fills it out most probably got his / her mind together in terms of what s/he wants. Also serves as a written proof. I'm not saying this can't be done in an other way, because it seems dozens of well respected luthiers make customers happy with more traditional methods.

As for customer service I think it always nice to be on the helpful side. If one takes the time to write back he might as well could've make Binky happy with a straigt and helpful answer. It wouldn't have taken much more effort even if he is not a customer - as of yet (and Drozd lost one potential one in the process)
( I really like Spector basses and one of the reasons I respect them is PJ Rubal, who is the vice president and takes care of customer service. I had inqueried him about a 2nd hand Spector and he replied back in a very short time with helpful info and more. He really took care of me and I wasn't even a 'customer' And I'm sure many here have similar great stories with other brands, too. )

I've had an amusing trip through the website. I especially like the bit about the castle and the auctions.

He does seem rather up himself - if I were to order a bass, I don't think he'd be on my shortlist. However I suspect I would not be on his either :-)

I had to check the website out. I'm guessing English isn't his first language; but still...
It reads terribly, shame your feedback wasn't well recieved. Might email to advise "comfortability" isn't a word.

The marvellous thing about the exquisitely bejewelled Mr Jerry Dross is that once you've passed his 10 page test and applied to become a client he will graciously schedule a preliminary [url="https://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/visit-to-the-castle-voucher/product/show"]meeting at his workshop[/url] on payment of a fee of 100 Euro* (click add to cart button / * Refunded if order placed within 12 mths).

Bargain! £85 for an audience with His Majesty to discuss what you'd like and how much he'll charge you.

Yes, I'm being impertinent to one of the Great Artists of our age or any other era in human history. But that's the way we roll in Brandoni-land, motherf*ckers.
[color=#faebd7].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar