Why become a member? ×

Getting sacked?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1493855806' post='3291390']
In the early 80s I was in a band being interviewed on the radio ...Radio presenter " Why did you call that track "127" ?" ...lead singer " well I met a white witch & she told me that 1-2 &7 added up to ten "..........Me " I could have told you that if you had asked me".....Lead singer starts fighting with me in the Radio station during interview . well I thought it was funny .
[/quote]

Awesome

I got fired from a band in the late 80s...to be more accurate, it had kinda broken down - I was naffed off playing venues 150 miles away to three people (yup, that was a belter), they wanted their old bassist back.

We had a big row about it in the rehearsal studios, one of those "F*ck you." "Yeah, well, f*ck you, too" sort of Spinal Tap/Bad News affairs, I stormed out...then had to come back in and ask for a lift getting my 810 (an old pre-handles, pre-wheels one) into the car... :unsure: :D

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1493904633' post='3291696']
Got drunk and snogged the intended bride on the dance floor. To be fair she instigated it but that was that.
[/quote]

Curse that being a bass player and the coolest guy in the room eh?

Got sacked from a band that was going nowhere for constantly getting lost on the way to rehearsal (@rse end of nowhere with no street lighting) but never late. I don't think it was too personal, drummer and rhythm guitarist copped it too, group email from the singer. I think part of it was for suggesting songs that would work with the band, but weren't what the guitarist wanted. Also they sometimes couldn't tell when I was joking and when I was being serious... Lesson learned, gel with people first before you make "joke" song suggestions and things that you think they'll get. And if a band has a control freak with no consideration of the relative skills and styles of others in the band, get out before you get sacked.

I joined a band about 14 years ago, just as they were losing the drummer. They found a new guy, and me and him hit it off pretty quickly. Unfortunately, when they decided they wanted to sack him, I was guilty by association and booted out at the same time. I got us both into another band that lasted a good 10 years after that.

I think it might have also been my refusal to play my 4 string Squier in favour of my new shiny 5 string Cort C5. It just didn't "fit their image" - that and me being a 6'3 ginger fat bloke looked odd with the rest of the "cool dudes" on the band photos.

I'm not bitter after all these years...much....

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1493914459' post='3291825']
I joined a band about 14 years ago, just as they were losing the drummer. They found a new guy, and me and him hit it off pretty quickly. Unfortunately, when they decided they wanted to sack him, I was guilty by association and booted out at the same time. I got us both into another band that lasted a good 10 years after that.

I think it might have also been my refusal to play my 4 string Squier in favour of my new shiny 5 string Cort C5. It just didn't "fit their image" - that and me being a 6'3 ginger fat bloke looked odd with the rest of the "cool dudes" on the band photos.

I'm not bitter after all these years...much....
[/quote]

If the pay is decent, I would let the band know I have 9 bass guitars, list them by name and ask which one they want me to play.

Blue

I've only been given the elbow from one band in all my time, happened about 3 years ago.

One of the bands I was involved with (had been with them for about 2/3 years) gave me the news via email that they'd been trying someone else out who had a greater skillset than me, and it was "thanks for all your work over the last 2/3 years".

That's life....

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1493818302' post='3290910']

So, there's mine. No sex or drugs, no criticism of my playing abilities, just a classic case of musical differences and the sacking put me out of my obvious misery so no hard feelings either - it was the right thing to do, helped hugely by the singer behaving like a grown up.
[/quote]

Musical differences, probably the #1 reason problems arise that can end in being sacked.

I have musical differences with my band. And they're differences I will never bring up or discuss with them. I have a mortgage and other bills to pay.

When joining or making a decision on whether to join a band or not, my musical​ taste take a back seat to work. I'll play polkas if you have work.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1493915920' post='3291841']
I've only been given the elbow from one band in all my time, happened about 3 years ago.

One of the bands I was involved with (had been with them for about 2/3 years) gave me the news via email that they'd been trying someone else out who had a greater skillset than me, and it was "thanks for all your work over the last 2/3 years".

That's life....
[/quote]

Did you have any prior indication or signs from the band that your playing ability was in question?

Blue

Jeez. I just counted them up - I've been sacked FIVE times. But as I've been playing since 1975, that averages out at only one sacking per decade, so I reckon that's not too bad!

1) Teenage rock band while still at school. The guitarist had rich parents, all the gear and no idea (and owned the PA) and made a dreadful din. I had the audacity to walk over to his amp and fiddle with the EQ during a rehearsal. Everyone said it sounded much better! Then I went on holiday, and the band 'broke up' and 'reformed' with another bass player by the time I returned. Spineless individuals.

2) First pro band doing a residency in a big northern club. Despite it being the early 80's, I objected to having to wear legwarmers and grin and dance like an idiot all night. Shortly thereafter, the MD took me aside, told me I was being replaced, but gave me a couple of big lines of charlie as a consolation. For some reason, that night's gig was much better! But alas, it was too late. Saved me from becoming a cokehead, I suppose.

3) In my first signed band, I made the mistake of playing all my favourite Mark King licks at high volume while setting up in the studio with their Big American Rock Producer within earshot. Got my cards a few days later for being a 'soul boy in disguise'. Plebs.

4) Years later, I dipped my toe into the strange world of prog rock. The other musicians were all astonishingly good in their chosen style, but the drummer, despite his prodigious talents, was frankly somewhere on the autistic spectrum/had a borderline personality disorder, and the rest of the band conformed to his every demand for fear of losing him. I had to miss a rehearsal, and was the recipient of a furious tirade of invective via email from the touchy tub-thumper regarding my 'lack of commitment'. The inevitable followed. The artistic temperament? I'll let you decide.

5) Joined a function band with guys now much younger than myself. How times have changed. When asked if I wanted to run the band's Twitter account, I admitted I didn't really see what it was any use for. The drummer, who was nearer my age than the others, emailed me to say the rest of them knew someone who 'had become available and they wanted to try him out'. Still spineless after all these years.

Despite all of the above, I'm still playing, still loving it, but there's nowt as queer as folk....

Back in early 80's i was with a Prog band that continually rehearsed but always found some kind of fault in one of the songs and therefore there was no ending in sight and i was asked to audition for a more modern 80's type pop rock originals band.
I said i was interested in going to the audition and before i knew it they had one of my mates attending the rehearsals to learn how i was playing the bass parts.
Did the audition and got offered the position. By time i got to the next Prog band rehearsal they said my mate was taking over the bass and they assumed i would get the part.
Didn't fall out with anyone over it as they obviously assumed i would leave anyway. They were all my drinking mates at the time and nothing came between drinking buddies back then :lol:
Still friends with them all to this day. Friendship is a strong bond.

Not so much sacked but more a replacement waiting in the wings for me leaving. If i hadn't accepted the position i think i would have been sacked tho.

Dave

Got sacked recently from a function band. Were all older (50+), experienced players, with the exception of the guitard, a new Yorker who thought the fact that he was a septic meant he knew it all. He didn't, of course. No sense of time or pitch (I kid you not). Even had to be reminded to tune his instrument before we started playing. Trouble was, he was/is married to the keyboard player, who covered his tracks for him, cued him for breaks (otherwise he came in at random), took over a break/doubled him if he was screwing up, etc, etc. One night, after he played the entire first number with his instrument hopelessly out of tune, I asked his missus to tell him to tune it (he wouldn't take it from anyone apart from her). During the interval, he confronted me in the dressing room and I told him his fortune in words of one syllable/four letters. That was that.

* Sacked by pop metal band for being too bluesy. Fair cop.

* Sacked by 'hard-working' covers band for shagging agent's wife. Fair cop.

* Sacked from blues band for suggesting front-woman guitarist would look good in a hat. I was only being nice.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493917060' post='3291857']
Did you have any prior indication or signs from the band that your playing ability was in question?

Blue
[/quote]

Nope - about 3 weeks before I got the email, I'd done a function gig with them and no hints dropped about my imminent departure. I guess it is what it is... I was a bit p.o.'d about it for a while after it, but I've put it behind me now.

One sacking in 32 years of playing isn't bad, so it just proves that I must have some qualities that keeps me in a band.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1493930400' post='3292001']

[/quote]

That's gotta be worth (at the very least) an honorable mention in dispatches 👍👍👍

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1493933516' post='3292033']

Nope - about 3 weeks before I got the email, I'd done a function gig with them and no hints dropped about my imminent departure. I guess it is what it is... I was a bit p.o.'d about it for a while after it, but I've put it behind me now.

One sacking in 32 years of playing isn't bad, so it just proves that I must have some qualities that keeps me in a band.
[/quote]

32 years, that's really cool.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1493930400' post='3292001']
* Sacked by pop metal band for being too bluesy. Fair cop.

* Sacked from blues band for suggesting front-woman guitarist would look good in a hat. I was only being nice.
[/quote]i'd understand it if you'd said a mask

Edited by rogerstodge

I got sacked/ replaced from a band a few years back for not fitting in, basically the drummer, guitard and singer had a real problem with being sober at either rehearsals or gigs to the point that, with their previous bassist they had actually turned up to gigs and had been too drunk to even stand up by the time it came to going on stage! I had learnt some of their songs turned up to a rehearsal, the drummer was there and set up his kit, he didn't tend to drink at rehearsals but just turned up with horrific hangovers! The other turned up 45 minutes late, half cut and cocked about for another half hour trying to plug the guitar in and tune it and get the PA working, I said very little as I drank my bottle of water and waited, anyway eventually we sort of ran through the songs and called it a day, they disappeared off to the pub and I got a call a few days later to say....thanks but I didn't really fit in with the bands ethos!

I am not certain that I was actually sacked, as soon as I had left I had already decided I wouldn't be turning up to any future rehearsals so, in all fairness I had already dumped them it's just they managed to get hold of me before I bothered to call them!

I was once effectively hired and fired again within 15 minutes :)

Saw a band ad looking for a new rhythm section to work with a husband & wife team who both sang and played guitar. Turned up with a drummer (we didn't know each other) and we gelled immediately. We seemed to be getting in well with the husband & wife too and they were even appreciative when we pointed out they had the rhythm and timing of a classic rock cover a bit wrong in the choruses.

The husband called a fag break and went outside with the drummer whilst I stayed chatting with his wife. She told me that she could tell he really liked us and we were by far the best they'd tried and the only other people left to try came with a bit of a dodgy rep and also only came as a 'pair' and they'd heard the drummer was difficult to work with.

Audition carried on and we played through some unrehearsed new stuff and it was all smiles and happy handshakes at the end.

As we were packing away I spotted a Spurs scarf fall out of the husband's bag and I, casually, asked if he was a Spurs fan. He turned on me and asked, quite aggressively, what it was to do with me and whether I was an Arsenal fan. I replied that I had a season ticket at Arsenal and he glared at me like I'd just threatened to rob his mother.

Then he turned to the drummer and, using quite a few swear words, asked if he was an f...ing Arsenal fan too. The drummer calmly replied that he was actually a season ticket holder at Chelsea :)

The husband stomped off outside and got into his car waiting for his wife. She told us that we had no chance of getting the gig now (in a way that suggested we were somehow at fault) and she left us to pack away everything.

We never heard from either of them again. . .