Why become a member? ×

Getting sacked?

Back in the hazy day's of the spooky old mid eighties a guy I was working with tipped me off about his brothers band looking for a singer. I was no singer, but was just desperate to be in my first band, I wasn't a bad lyric writer and of course an OK bassist maybe I could sing... a bit.

Met up with my work colleagues brother; the lead guitarist and we got on really well. He loved my lyrics and thought I looked the part; fashion and hair wise, (this is the eighties remember!) I kept asking about the bass player as ideally that's the job I wanted and all he would say was he is a little older than us but he can really play. In my mind I was already planning to work on getting the bassist replaced by yours truly! We soon had our first practice session and two things were clear, the bass player was well into his thirties (ancient to a then 18 year old) and he could really play and was light years in front of the rest of us musically.

I sang a couple of songs but knew I wasn't great but the others were supportive all apart from the drummer who I felt didn't take to me at all and it later transpired that he had a good mate that was a singer, they were living on planet Jam/Paul Weller and I was more Japan/Talk Talk fan but I just wanted to make music so didn't bother me too much.

2 weeks later I received a call from someone who said he represented the band (forgotten the bands name) and he said sorry but your out of "band name" the guy that tipped me off about them needing a singer later told me that the drummer said my voice was hideous and my pony tail ridiculous - but he knew someone that sounded like Weller that could replace me!!

I have been sacked for being too old and bald. (I'm 52 )

I have been "replaced " by another bass player with a bigger amp , and he had a full length Van Helsing style leather coat .
3 weeks later I was asked to rejoin when the vocalist realised a bigger amp and a leather coat does not make you a better bass player .

I have been given the elbow because I have a daytime job ( and a mortgage and bills , etc ) . This was a huge obstacle to a start up band who were planning their World Tour before we had even done Local pub gig .