Why become a member? ×

Help with cabs for GK 1001RBii

simonroberts788

I need advice on pairing a cab with a GK 1001RBii i've just purchased. The manual rates it at 460 watts at 8 ohms and 700 watts at 4 ohms. I currently have a GK 210RBH 2x10 cab which is rated at 400 watts at 8 ohms and is a pretty heavy duty cab but I convinced it will struggle with the output of the new head at gig volumes.

I play in a reasonably chilled rhythm and blues band with a single guitarist playing through a Boogie combo and a sensible drummer but i've got a Stingray which really pushes out the bass. I've always had the bass boost up full on the SRay - that may have to change! I've also read that GK rates its amps conservatively and that they can really kill cabs which is a worry as i like the portability and size of the GK 2x10.

Do I need a new cab and if so what kind of power rating should i be looking at? I'd ideally like to have just the one as we rarely play big venues - but consequently I rarely DI the bass and prefer having a beefy backline that can fill the room. Also storage and boot space is an issue so a single smaller cab would be better.

I wondered whether I'm going to have to get a 4x10 to be able to get a high enough power rating. The GK Neo 410 is rated at 800 watts at 8 ohms. I'd gladly consider other brands though as I won't be using the horn bi-amp feature. I tend to turn the horn right off as the Stingray produces so much treble, I have the treble cut right off on the bass.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

If your cab can handle the volume you normally play at, then there's no need to change it if you're not planning on playing at a louder volume. Keep the master at a reasonable level and don't boost the bass too much. Just because you now have a more powerful amp than you previously had, doesn't mean you have to use all that power.

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1493760945' post='3290550']
Two 8 ohm 210's or one 4 ohm 410, perhaps? Why not buy a second 210RBH? Adding a second cab really starts pushing the bass out.
[/quote]
2 2x10s is a great idea.

IME the 1001ii will obliterate most cabs, so whatever you end up with do be careful. I ran mine with a neo 2x12", 1x12" or both and was very very happy. Having said that, if you've already got that 2x10" then definitely just buy another if you feel as though you need more.

I used the GK 1001 with a Barefaced Retro 410 & 210 stack, and with the 410 on its own. Easily handled what I needed from it volume wise, plus nice and light for a 410. Def worth a look. That said if you like the matching of the 1001 and your current cab there`s a lot going for getting another of the same for gigs.

As above, another GK 210 would seem the obvious route to follow. However, I'm a bit
surprised that you run your Stingray with all the bass up and the treble down. This will
inevitably put more strain on any rig, especially the cabs. On that basis I'd go for something
which will cope with all that low end, bearing in mind that the 1001 are loud amps.......

I run my 1001 into a GKNeo 410 and it matches the amp brilliantly. Although not using such
extreme settings on my bass as yourself, I've never found it lacking in tone or handling
capacity. I also use a Barefaced Compact cab, which handles the amp surprisingly well,
and would recommend you check out their range if you're looking for light / high power cabs
that are portable too.

• 2 months later...

GK RB1001's have serious grunt. I had one for years and sounded fab through an Epifani UL310. Two 2x10's is also a good option. One for smaller gigs and both for bigger. More flexible and easier to hump than a 4x10. As long as you don't drive the amp too hard one will be fine. I would echo the previous comments about maxing the bass on your Stingray. They have a big boost in low end and can easily make the amp or cab clip (although in my experience the RB had a pretty robust front end).

The basic advice is if you have an 8 ohm cab and you just want more volume, get another of what you already have.

But if you really want a 410 then the Barefaced Four10 is the one I'd suggest. You'll get great tone and they'll hear you in Newquay.

On the other hand any of the BF 112's or 212's would sound seriously good too.

I've had a few good nights in the Driftwood Spar in the 70's. Is it still there?