Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

Is it too late to point out that this is, in fact, a twin-blade razor?

It's just that you use one blade at a time ...

;)

Nope! Double-edged, but only one blade. :on_the_quiet: Edited by Dad3353

Think I preferred the bitchin to the corny dad jokes...

No pleasing some! :P

OK, I'll open up a challenge - find me a commercially produced, powered 2x18 subwoofer, at any cost, that puts out circa 130dB max SPL. Don't just accept marketing spiel... validate it! Edited by Dad3353

Ok, let's bring it back to the basics!

Has anyone compared a Big Twin with a Sansamp British to a Marshall Superbass and 4x12?!

Blonde and VT Bass also of interest...

I could have done that for you before I had to sell my Big Twin. I have a very special Marshall SuperBass here and some of the best amplifier modelling software in my studio. Sansamp would have been easy to get hold of, but alas minus the BT2 and 4x12, I'm unable to help! Edited by Dad3353

OK, I'll open up a challenge - find me a commercially produced, powered 2x18 subwoofer, at any cost, that puts out circa 130dB max SPL. Don't just accept marketing spiel... validate it!

The LF1400 puts out 130dB max continuous SPL. Max peak SPL is about 6dB higher and looking at how other companies quote their specs is probably the one we should be quoting. I'll change it on the website. Thanks!

Edited by Dad3353

The LF1400 puts out 130dB max continuous SPL. Max peak SPL is about 6dB higher and looking at how other companies quote their specs is probably the one we should be quoting. I'll change it on the website. Thanks!

Cool.

Even best case though, 136dB is still not comparable to a typical 2x18. It is however, more in the ballpark of other 1x18s.

PS - using the word "about", when talking specs isn't great either. Edited by Dad3353

Cool.

Even best case though, 136dB is still not comparable to a typical 2x18. It is however, more in the ballpark of other 1x18s.

PS - using the word "about", when talking specs isn't great either.

"OK, I'll open up a challenge - find me a commercially produced, powered 2x18 subwoofer, at any cost, that puts out circa 130dB max SPL. Don't just accept marketing spiel... validate it!" Edited by Dad3353

"OK, I'll open up a challenge - find me a commercially produced, powered 2x18 subwoofer, at any cost, that puts out circa 130dB max SPL. Don't just accept marketing spiel... validate it!"

Err. What are you talking about? Do you not understand my response to Alex?

Here's a clue. Even when he changes the measurement from continuous to max, the figures still don't add up. Here you go... let me change the challenge to go hand in hand with Alex's change in spec.

OK, I'll open up a challenge - find me a commercially produced, powered 2x18 subwoofer, at any cost, that puts out circa 136dB max SPL. Don't just accept marketing spiel... validate it!

I realise that the pedantic out there may say, well, most 2x18s will do 136dB - the point is, they will also do a hell of a lot more.

Here's a clue for you - most 1x18s of a comparable price to the Barefaced are in the same region max SPL... and certainly not up to being compared to a 2x18 which are typically around 140dB. Edited by Dad3353

I suspect you don't understand my quoting you directly, however I'm happy to accept that your quote does not state that it's hard to find a commercially available 2x18 capable of 130dB peak.. Unless you meant "not capable of 130dB peak"

Also interesting to note that RCF quote max SPL's with a 6dB range which also is not very specific..

Clearly you have a problem with Alex. I know some of the complex history of some of this having heard from both sides.. I also have both Berg and BF cabs - for me the BF edges the Bergs by a smidgen.. Your now to going to say that that's nothing to do with FR/FR cabs.. ..Neither are subs..

Ha - I was adding my pedantic remark as you responded. Seemed like I was able to second guess you.

I'm not aware of max SPLs of any manufacturer being quoted in a 6dB range - link me up please.

I don't have a problem with Alex. I think there is a big misconception here. I have a problem with misleading marketing and technobabble dressing up a product that is fundamentally no different to any other. As demonstrated before, and as I have mentioned above, I will call any manufacturer, Alex or otherwise, on stuff that I think is questionable. You have to admit, banding around that both your speakers and your cabs are equal to TWO of other manufacturers products is a big claim... and as such, should be validated appropriately.

I couldn't care less about your experience of BF or Berg either. It tells me nothing about their performance - and I don't have any experience of you as a person to put any trust in your non tangible experiences with said products. This is not personal... it's just the same as not trusting a guy with my wallet who I've just met and don't know from Adam.

Subs are nothing to do with FRFR cabs... but I think we both agree that the conversation has gone way beyond that... and it wasn't my doing. Call it the natural flow of a thread.

Edited by Dad3353

PS my standard 5 string bass (strung as standard with B -> G) goes lower than other manufacturers basses. Just so you know. Why? Cos I say so.

Interesting.. When you have simultaneous access to a FR800 and RCF745 with a full test rig in an anechoic chamber and can post real data, then your opinions are simply that, opinions. Like everyone elses

Maybe you have an unfortunate manner, but it certainly comes across that you have it in for Alex. I don't think Alex's cabs are magic (or even audibly obviously better than the best of rest) but they work well for me due to their form factor and weight. Edited by Dad3353

Interesting.. When you have simultaneous access to a FR800 and RCF745 with a full test rig in an anechoic chamber and can post real data, then your opinions are simply that, opinions. Like everyone elses

Maybe you have an unfortunate manner, but it certainly comes across that you have it in for Alex. I don't think Alex's cabs are magic (or even audibly obviously better than the best of rest) but they work well for me due to their form factor and weight.

Gosh, I think it's you that has a problem with me!

I also don't think Alex's cabs are magic - something we agree on. And I think you are missing the whole point of this conversation... and the science is to prove that despite the marketing, they are in fact, no different to anything else out there. (Handle and feet issues aside) - yes, they work for a whole host of people, due to their form factor and great, good for them. I don't like the fact they don't take a 19" rack without overhang... and as for weight, well, there's plenty of other cabs of a comparable weight - this thinking that BF are the only option for lightweight has long since been debunked.

But you know what grinds my gears, I have to accept that there's people that like Barefaced - and that's fine - but then there's people who are very considered when it comes to gear - and if they dare question any specification, any design choice or literally anything in this case, I have a load of owners trying to start on me. If you don't think that is the case, look at your input to the thread and look at your actions right now. That is an unfortunate manner in my book.

Re: I have never said that a FR800<>RCF 745. Never. Like above. Link me up.

I don't think I have ever made any direct comparisons between the two as to say anybody should buy one over the other. The fact is, the 745 has drivers in it, which you wouldn't typically find in a PA cab for under at least £2000 a piece. Therefore, it would be ludicrous with anybody with the budget to not at least investigate them. RCF is both a PA manufacturer and speaker manufacturer with a lot of know how. They even own the company that make the amps now. Alex is an enthusiastic turned builder - with not even half the experience of these guys. And you may think I'm a RCF fan. No, not particularly - I've just done a lot of research to see which manufacturer is the best bang for buck... and yes, I think they rate very highly. Would they be my first choice of PA? No. But the costs of ownership of D&B and L'Acoustics in addition to the ability to move them, is not what I'm after.

What I have commented on is the following -

The voice coil sizes between the two cabs.
The calculated specifications of the RCF compared to the Mackie SRM450 and the expected performance differences between the two.
I've told somebody to listen to the RCF as they have a different top end to a lot of other PAs.
The flat response of a RCF745 (and in this thread, it's suitability of a FRFR cab)
The power amps of the two cabs.
The resale prices of the two cabs.
The aesthetics of the two cabs. I think the RCF is butt hurt ugly. I don't think that the FR800 is particularly attractive either.
The sizes of the two cabs.
I have questioned the crossover and amp setup in the FR800.

I do believe you are making this into something that it isn't. If you ask Happy Jack nicely, there may be room on his hammock.

PS - what I do know about you, is that I wouldn't trust you to fix an amp.... oh and I'm still waiting for the links. Edited by Dad3353

Ohh handbags.. I'm off to rehearsal I'll retort later... (Ps I've never attempted to repair an amp, I've had some blow up on me over the years)

Gosh, I think it's you that has a problem with me!

I also don't think Alex's cabs are magic - something we agree on. And I think you are missing the whole point of this conversation... and the science is to prove that despite the marketing, they are in fact, no different to anything else out there. (Handle and feet issues aside) - yes, they work for a whole host of people, due to their form factor and great, good for them. I don't like the fact they don't take a 19" rack without overhang... and as for weight, well, there's plenty of other cabs of a comparable weight - this thinking that BF are the only option for lightweight has long since been debunked.

But you know what grinds my gears, I have to accept that there's people that like Barefaced - and that's fine - but then there's people who are very considered when it comes to gear - and if they dare question any specification, any design choice or literally anything in this case, I have a load of owners trying to start on me. If you don't think that is the case, look at your input to the thread and look at your actions right now. That is an unfortunate manner in my book.

Re: I have never said that a FR800<>RCF 745. Never. Like above. Link me up.

I don't think I have ever made any direct comparisons between the two as to say anybody should buy one over the other. The fact is, the 745 has drivers in it, which you wouldn't typically find in a PA cab for under at least £2000 a piece. Therefore, it would be ludicrous with anybody with the budget to not at least investigate them. RCF is both a PA manufacturer and speaker manufacturer with a lot of know how. They even own the company that make the amps now. Alex is an enthusiastic turned builder - with not even half the experience of these guys. And you may think I'm a RCF fan. No, not particularly - I've just done a lot of research to see which manufacturer is the best bang for buck... and yes, I think they rate very highly. Would they be my first choice of PA? No. But the costs of ownership of D&B and L'Acoustics in addition to the ability to move them, is not what I'm after.

What I have commented on is the following -

The voice coil sizes between the two cabs.
The calculated specifications of the RCF compared to the Mackie SRM450 and the expected performance differences between the two.
I've told somebody to listen to the RCF as they have a different top end to a lot of other PAs.
The flat response of a RCF745 (and in this thread, it's suitability of a FRFR cab)
The power amps of the two cabs.
The resale prices of the two cabs.
The aesthetics of the two cabs. I think the RCF is butt hurt ugly. I don't think that the FR800 is particularly attractive either.
The sizes of the two cabs.
I have questioned the crossover and amp setup in the FR800.

I do believe you are making this into something that it isn't. If you ask Happy Jack nicely, there may be room on his hammock.

PS - what I do know about you, is that I wouldn't trust you to fix an amp.... oh and I'm still waiting for the links.

Edited by Dad3353

Can I add another challenge to the test.

Is it possible to have a shiit out and measure Brown note capacity of a cab?

The Cab that creates the most unholy mess is the winner

There is a validated score of The Bristol Stool Chart

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale