Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

phmusichall_05.jpg&key=7db7874f6d342c056f5c3197e92d31e8b97aa60698acd1dedb64a31371e55dc0

Big, hard, shiny floor? Check.

Conservatory-style roof made of hard, shiny glass? Check.

Disco-ball from Hell suspended in front of the PA tops? Check.

I really wouldn't want to play that place unless it was pretty full. The acoustics must be horrendous.

Looks great, mind ... Edited by Dad3353

Lots of parallel surfaces. Check. :P

You pretty much nailed it there - but lets not forget the hollow stage!

Come to think of it, the support band may have sounded bigger due to the amount of reflections everywhere. Wooks- was the separation between instruments as distinct for both bands?

Edited by Dad3353

I've rarely seen a better case argued for using your ears rather than all this reductio ad absurdum.

If you like the sound, buy it.

If you don't like the sound, buy something else.

If you want to score points, endlessly, boringly, repetitively, then analyse the sound to death using oh-so-clever graphs accompanied by casual put-downs ("I suspect not everyone will know how to read this ...").

Perhaps clutching a copy of this graph will somehow make your PA sound better in The Tickled Trout.

I promise you it won't make a blind bit of difference in any pub I've ever played.

I imagine that the RCFs sound great. I know the Barefaced RFs sound great. Lots of things sound great.

Get over it.

Applause. This is the perfect response. Just as an extra: the Barefaced are dead easy to transport and carry. Edited by Dad3353

Applause. This is the perfect response. Just as an extra: the Barefaced are dead easy to transport and carry.

I'm pretty sure that has never been mentioned, so yeah, cool. Edited by Dad3353

So, I have a Kemper and I have two FR800s on order. I'll let you know.

Ooof! That will be a serious rig :x Do you play in a band locally Jack? If so, I'd love to hear that some time :) Edited by Dad3353

Ooof! That will be a serious rig :x Do you play in a band locally Jack? If so, I'd love to hear that some time :)

Please do come to a show, I always like meeting basschatters!

Just be kind and bear in mind that there is usually a severe inverse correlation between gear and talent... Edited by Dad3353

• 2 years later...

Bump! 

First post from me on BassChat, I have bee reading quite a bit, but silently, so far 🙂

Sorry for reviving this topic!

i am interested in a comparison between a system of 2xBarefaced FR800 + LF1400 and a system of 2xRCF ART 745-A Mk4 and SUB 905-AS II - or 8003-AS II. 

Has anybody tried them or suggest which one would be best as a BAS rig amplification? 

I have a Amp Head which I can use the full range output of to go into these powered systems. I have been reading a bit on the specs of both and they seem comparable, with the RCF having a better dispersion as frequency increases. Not sure about the low end. Impariamo though, on paper the LF1400 seems to go lower, but I have not seen graphs with frequency response. The RCF 8003-as ii is 18”, the 905-as II has I believe the same 15” as the RCF 745 speakers (but much larger enclosure and bass reflex).

any thoughts on this?

thanks a million!

Edited by Pitticcu

I wrote the wrong RCF code (still confusing with the Mk x renaming!), it should be RCF ART 745-A Mk4!

Another thing to point out is, of course, the  BF Fr800 has 12” speaker, whereas the RCF 745-A Mk4 has 15”. Now from RCF specs it looks as they sort the beaming by lowering the crossover point of the compression driver to 650hz, to take advantage of its larger voice coil (4”). 

Apart from the obvious aesthetic considerations (the ART 745 are not exactly good looking in terms of Bass cabs!), which sometimes still bothers many of us (me included), any thoughts on the comparison for bass duties? I should also add that I will be experimenting with extended range (7-strings), so clarity at higher frequencies is nice 🙂

thanks again!

Edited by Pitticcu

I hope I do not cause any revamped friction! It is just a humble request for informed opinions and input from knowledgeable people 🙂 

unfortunately I do not have the option to try any of them but what I am after is transparency, linearity and ability to handle low bass (drop A or at least the low B string). 

I saw that RCF drivers seem to be high quality (from specs in particular the Titanium compression driver with 4” v.c. seems a very good component, but of course one component on their own do not tell the whole story when you start looking at the whole system - I would be interested to know which model number are the 15” and 18” speakers because going through the parts list on RCF website there seem to be 15” neodymium speakers with the 3.5”v.c. Which can be linear only over a 6mm excursion, with 39mm excursion to damage - wondering how much power they can handle and also their thermal behaviour if driven hard, as well as how low they can go, although I suspect that depends on the porting as well...).

thansk again folks! 

Edited by Pitticcu