Why become a member? ×

Mark Griffiths - Auction - Lots of basses

anzoid

Another bass guitar auction coming up in Wiltshire, with a bunch of stuff from Mark Griffiths - including a very tasty looking Kubicki Factor.

Start planning your bidding:
[url="http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/catalogue-preview-thursday-15th-june-2017/"]http://guitar-auctio...15th-june-2017/[/url]

Edited by anzoid

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1493457907' post='3288439']

:blink:
[/quote]

I'm back here again as I don't feel the smiley quite conveyed my astonishment that an instrument this unattractive actually exists...

Somebody designed this... with its beautiful lines and ergonomic aesthetic... the way the scratch plate seemlessly flows with the body shape... the headstock complimenting the body in perfectly harmony. Could this perhaps have been the first single cut?

Weren't Burns a respectable brand at the time? I've seen basses from this era that were manufactured behind the iron curtain from old tank parts that are easier on the eye.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but this truly is a shocker... I wish I hadn't looked at it again right before bed.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1493506115' post='3288882']

I'm back here again as I don't feel the smiley quite conveyed my astonishment that an instrument this unattractive actually exists...

Somebody designed this... with its beautiful lines and ergonomic aesthetic... the way the scratch plate seemlessly flows with the body shape... the headstock complimenting the body in perfectly harmony. Could this perhaps have been the first single cut?

Weren't Burns a respectable brand at the time? I've seen basses from this era that were manufactured behind the iron curtain from old tank parts that are easier on the eye.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but this truly is a shocker... I wish I hadn't looked at it again right before bed.
[/quote] If you check out early pictures of the late Jet Harris you'll fine he had one of these.
There's one of him with this bass on "BassID- Jet Harris" on this forum.

Edited by Grahambythesea

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1493537588' post='3288935']
Bear in mind there's a 24% buyer's premium to add to the final hammer price. But even so, yes, some of those estimates are very (deliberately?) low.
[/quote] apart from the status groove which won't make that

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493561524' post='3289105']

That is infinitely cooler than a Big Al.
[/quote]

It's certainly infinitely older..... and more quirky - but don't knock the Big Al unless you've actually tried one - they're pretty damn good basses.

There's some very interesting old 60s basses in that listing like Vox and even some lefty versions of wierd 1960s creations - the Burns is interesting as well - presumably he used the Stingray 5 for recording.

Mark Griffiths is an excellent bass player - check out his bass solo on Nivram on the Shadows final tour - excellent.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1493537588' post='3288935']
Bear in mind there's a 24% buyer's premium to add to the final hammer price. But even so, yes, some of those estimates are very (deliberately?) low.
[/quote]
I think that things have generally gone above estimate on previous auctions.
Unlikely to get a bargain, IMHO.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1493506115' post='3288882']

[/quote]

Except that's not a Burns. It's a Burns-Weill, and pre-dates the Burns London brand by a year or so.

The Burns guitars of the 60s were a major step up in design, construction and finish from this Burns-Weill.