Why become a member? ×

The New Direction Of Bass & Players

blue

When I were a nipper back in the late 70's and out playing three four times a week, the night club/disco crowd who were my age still didnt go to the pub to see the "band"...as even then it only really appealed to the hippy dippy pub biker types. I have to admit old school rock does seem a bit dated now.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1493708753' post='3289992']
At 54, I understand your thinking.

It's not even like it was in [i]my[/i] twenties. It's hard to see where I'd fit in if I'm honest. No longer can I drop in and out of sessions like I did then.

I only do it for a hobby though not for a living. It is a rare privilege for me to play to an audience at all these days. Never the less, as a hobby, it occupies enough of my time to keep me out of (serious) trouble.

Like you say, current players tend to be better educated and technically more savvy. If I was doing it all again I'd make better use of my youthful eyesight and learn to sight read.
[/quote]

Agree. Im 57. An old cruise ship guy said to me a while back that the worst thing to happen to.... "musicians" was Punk. Why?, cause it gave the impression that anyone can play an instrument just by listening to the radio which of course is true and to hell with the formal stuff. Well I wish Id known that too back then cause if I had I would have learnt to read.
Reading to a good enough standard now at my age is damn near impossible and I will never be as good as the young guys who just turn up, lay it out on the stand and do it.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1493772679' post='3290598']

Thanks for the band suggestions, i'll check them out!

re. Behance - can you be more specific? Everyone and their mum is on Behance, it's a bit like saying 'Bandcamp'. I'm curious what artists are making a proper living from doing artwork connected to the music scene you're into.
[/quote]

http://www.richeybeckett.com

Richey would probably be the 1 I'd start with off the top of my head anyway, certainly the most successful I know of anyway.

Also,

https://brancastudio.com

These guys are tied in with the Doom scene.

(Sorry to hijack the conversation!)

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1493462118' post='3288503']
The internet is responsible for killing a lot of culture and livelihoods.
[/quote]

Like the printing press, putting all those scribes and itinerant storytellers out of business.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1493802525' post='3290711']

Like the printing press, putting all those scribes and itinerant storytellers out of business.
[/quote]

If you think that, why even play bass? Playing an instrument is not necessary any more. Just make music using a free app on your phone. Better still, get an app that does it for you. Then you can just sit there and eat pies and stare while an algorithm does everything for you. And that frees up time so you can carry on stacking shelves at Poundland so you can feed your kids.

You have a pretty sheltered view of the world if you think all technological advancement is great, and questioning it makes you a luddite.

Can't believe i even have to mention this to a person posting in a forum that's dedicated to instruments made in the 1950's, based on instruments played in the 1930's.

Edited by project_c

Of course, to take a longer term view, it's only in the last century or so that (a small number of ) musicians made a lot of money.

Until perhaps the 1950s it was the managers/promoters etc who made the money. Musicians did it because they wanted to make music. It's only in the much more recent past that people have wanted to become musicians because they associated it with making a lot of money.

In a way, the last 50 years have been an aberration and we're just reverting to what it was before.

Edited by Jacqueslemac

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1493795551' post='3290638']

I've been living in Normandy for the past year and have struggled to find a single gig (apart from last summer's midsummer festival). At the jam session I sometimes go to almost everyone is in their 50s or older. Where do all the young players play?
[/quote]

I live in La Creuse in central France. Nearest big place is Limoges. We have everything from Punk to Funk here with everything in between. Loads of jazz, blues and rock etc.

For the last three years I've been the head judge in the local battle of the bands. They advertise for six bands and have to turn down twenty. 75% of the bands that apply (not the jazz bands) are people under 25. A lot of them embrace a really wide selection of genres too.

If we go to a jam night here, the musos range from 65 year old Johnny Cash clones to 15 year old gypsy jazz virtuosos.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1493803984' post='3290725']
If you think that, why even play bass? Playing an instrument is not necessary any more. Just make music using a free app on your phone. Better still, get an app that does it for you. Then you can just sit there and eat pies and stare while an algorithm does everything for you. And that frees up time so you can carry on stacking shelves at Poundland so you can feed your kids.

You have a pretty sheltered view of the world if you think all technological advancement is great, and questioning it makes you a luddite.

Can't believe i even have to mention this to a person posting in a forum that's dedicated to instruments made in the 1950's, based on instruments played in the 1930's.
[/quote]

Yeah, but what sort of pies?

Every once in a while regardless of age you'll catch a newbie at a gig that is simply amazed at the sound 3-4 guys can make.

Hard for me to believe there are some young folks that have never seen or heard a live rock & roll band.

Blue

Edited by blue