Why become a member? ×

The New Direction Of Bass & Players

blue

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1493484777' post='3288723']
Mrs C has some friends involved in the folky / acousticy type scene here in London where nearly every pub, coffee shop, vegan peace cafe etc. Has a small stage in the corner and a promoter is paid by the venue to provide a sensitive man with a beard to sing songs complaining about stuff. Some of her friends gig most nights, all originals.

Whenever I have been to these gigs I am almost always the only person who buys a beer / coffee / vegan peace biscuit, everyone else including the other acts just drinks tap water all night... whole tables of people with a pint of tap water each... I can't see the venues thinking its worth it for much longer.
[/quote]

Oddly enough i was in a restaurant at Loch Ness Inn few yrs ago and they had a saxaphone player doing a background set of classics during 7-9 dining spot. It was one of the best dining experiences i've ever had. Pity more restaurants don't do this.

Dave

project_c I'm afraid I don't find your assertions to be true, certainly in the genres I am interested in.

It may not be your bag but have a look the stoner/doom scene. There are more bands than ever, plenty of people making money from posters, artwork etc and definitely plenty of people buying records.

The bands in this scene most definitely have to tour pretty much constantly to make enough money but for me that's great, I get to see a lot of bands I like.

We obviously have different experiences of the modern underground music scene. But from my point of view it is thriving.

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1493506818' post='3288888']
project_c I'm afraid I don't find your assertions to be true, certainly in the genres I am interested in.

It may not be your bag but have a look the stoner/doom scene. There are more bands than ever, plenty of people making money from posters, artwork etc and definitely plenty of people buying records.

The bands in this scene most definitely have to tour pretty much constantly to make enough money but for me that's great, I get to see a lot of bands I like.

We obviously have different experiences of the modern underground music scene. But from my point of view it is thriving.
[/quote]

That's good to hear, can you point me in the direction of some of the more successful musicians and artists of this scene? I'll check it out. Definitely not my bag now but in my early teens I was a big fan of very angry noisy bands so I'm sure it won't baffle me too much.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1493483774' post='3288717']
Don't think bikes are as popular an image to youngsters these days. Most youngsters would prefer a car and they can pick a car up for same price as a bike these days.

At the Harley bike rallies i go to there is more than enough drinking being done by all age groups but as FinnDave pointed out they are all staying overnight.
There's definitely nowhere near as many rock or biker bars in Scotland as there used to be so i guess you just don't see the "younger" bikers as often.
If you're talking Harley bikers then cost of the bikes usually means its middle-aged or older guys that can afford them and are "usually" more sensible and physically not able to drink as much as the 20yr olds.
Who wants a 2 day hang-over at our age :lol:

Dave

Dave
[/quote]

Last night's gig was a MAG do rather than a Harley only rally (I used to be regional rep for the HDRCGB, so I know what their rallies are like!) and there were till plenty of just-drunk-enough revellers to dance to everything we threw at the until half one when we called it a day (it was our second gig of the day, and we're not too strong on youthful energy any more!). Those that weren't up on their feet were either sitting around the fire outside, or dead drunk in their tents (I know my mate was, he was well gone when we arrived!).

Booking the burlesque was a good move, as those girls were up and dancing like there were was no tomorrow after their own show. I'm knackered today, but at least I haven't got to ride home with a hangover!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1493550629' post='3289026']
Last night's gig was a MAG do rather than a Harley only rally (I used to be regional rep for the HDRCGB, so I know what their rallies are like!) and there were till plenty of just-drunk-enough revellers to dance to everything we threw at the until half one when we called it a day (it was our second gig of the day, and we're not too strong on youthful energy any more!). Those that weren't up on their feet were either sitting around the fire outside, or dead drunk in their tents (I know my mate was, he was well gone when we arrived!).

Booking the burlesque was a good move, as those girls were up and dancing like there were was no tomorrow after their own show. I'm knackered today, but at least I haven't got to ride home with a hangover!
[/quote]

Nice one Dave. Sounds like it was a great night.
Afraid i'm now one of the sensible Harley owners and don't drink to excess these days. I do however enjoy watching the bands at the ralies, mainly Thunder In the Glens at Aviemore.

Never seem to have the time to get to the others but maybe this year :D

Dave

A lot of the issues referred to throughout this thread are things that I recognise from my own career. The first is getting like minded people to play with. I gave up trying to find singers when I was in my 20s and got into instrumental music and Jazz. I have always struggled to find musicians who want to play anything fresh and new and have found it much easier to find people who want to play the tried and tested. The same applies to bookings. Could do more gigs playing more accessible material but that Isn't where I get the buzz from.

We grew up in a world with three tv channels and no internet, no dvds, no computer games. Music mattered more to us because there was much less to choose from. I play fewer and fewer gigs but those I do are of a much higher standard than they used to be.

I am 'winding down' a bit now and playing guitar more because it is a stand alone instrument in a way that the bass isn't. It's not that I don't want to gig. It's because I don't want to play what is required to get loads of gigs.

New Direction for Bass & Players

An ad states they have pedal steel, 3 vocalist,guitar drums and mandolin for jazz standards and country swing.They're looking for a bass player. Should be able to rehearse on weekdays.

Out of curiosity, I inquired. Told the BL I was currently active, playing around 65 shows per year. I asked if they were working with an agency or self booking. Also asked how often they gig, once, twice a week, once a month?

His response;

"You wouldn't be interested, this is just for fun"

Then he made some derogatory remark about gigging.

An example of how gigging is not fun for some musicians.

Blue

We are seeing the emergence of new bass stars, who don't gig, maybe don't record, but who are still very successfully monetizing their skills - welcome the increasing numbers of online bass teaching resources. Guys like Scott are having a huge impact on how people spend money and are increasingly important. Bands - less so.

[quote name='converse320' timestamp='1493678941' post='3289951']
We are seeing the emergence of new bass stars, who don't gig, maybe don't record, but who are still very successfully monetizing their skills - welcome the increasing numbers of online bass teaching resources. Guys like Scott are having a huge impact on how people spend money and are increasingly important. Bands - less so.
[/quote]

Agreed,

64, Interesting. I discuss band issues gigging issues with a few guys that I grew up with. Guys I was gigging with back in the late 60s.

They'll say things like;

"You should tell them this or that,do this or that.If he can't play or can't learn the material get someone else."

I don't have the heart to tell them things just don't work like that anymore.

I'm lucky I have steady gigs, I'm in no position to rock the boat.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493429738' post='3288296']
Completely different than when I started. You turned on the TV ,you saw tons of bands people playing rock and roll and you wanted to get in on it. You wanted to learn and most important you wanted to gig.

Now you rarely see bands on TV and many millinials are perfectly happy jamming with friends or staying in the bedroom and in some cases for good reason.

In someways I think the new players are smarter and more advanced technically than my generation.

But keep in mind the opportunities for good live gigs have dried up for most.

Used to be, if you wanted, you could gig 7 nights a week. I'm not sure if they're having much fun, but maybe fun has changed too.

And these videos with guys playing the bass like a guitar that's a little different for me as well.

Things have to change I guess.Me I'm staying with the joy of live gigging and the old 4 string world. I only have 10 years before I throw in the towel.

Comments or thoughts on the new direction of bass.

Blue
[/quote]

At 54, I understand your thinking.

It's not even like it was in [i]my[/i] twenties. It's hard to see where I'd fit in if I'm honest. No longer can I drop in and out of sessions like I did then.

I only do it for a hobby though not for a living. It is a rare privilege for me to play to an audience at all these days. Never the less, as a hobby, it occupies enough of my time to keep me out of (serious) trouble.

Like you say, current players tend to be better educated and technically more savvy. If I was doing it all again I'd make better use of my youthful eyesight and learn to sight read.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493464149' post='3288531']
...All it seems you want to do is bitch & sneer at people who aren't exactly like you.
[/quote]

I have [u]never[/u] seen this sort of behaviour from Blue. However, I think it helps to keep in mind how different his culture is from ours when reading his posts.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1493710196' post='3290005']
I have [u]never[/u] seen this sort of behaviour from Blue.
[/quote]

So you interpret his remarks differently from me (and possibly some others on here too).
I regard his constant belittling of bedroom players, start up bands & anything else that doesn't fit with his myopic mindset as little more than trolling.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493725179' post='3290118']
So you interpret his remarks differently from me (and possibly some others on here too).
I regard his constant belittling of bedroom players, start up bands & anything else that doesn't fit with his myopic mindset as little more than trolling.
[/quote]

If that's how you see it then yes, most definitely.

If that behaviour, perceived or otherwise, offends you why not do the mature thing and pass by his posts? You don't get offended and Blue's topic suffers less disruption. Win-win. Other suggestions are available. Have a nice day.

PS; I [i]am[/i] pretty much a bedroom player myself. I can laugh at it too because I know that [u]we[/u] are the future. Heeheehee

Edited by SpondonBassed

Regarding the future of bass playing (and bands in general) in the 13 years I've lived in France, I've sold loads of redundant gear for whatever reasons and every time, without exception, it's been to, or for, a young player who wants to join a band and play live (or is already doing so)

I've found it most refreshing to see young people's enthusiasm regarding getting into playing and forming bands.

It's not all doom and gloom. They're out there, and they're keen.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1493729391' post='3290179']
If that's how you see it then yes, most definitely.

If that behaviour, perceived or otherwise, offends you why not do the mature thing and pass by his posts? You don't get offended and Blue's topic suffers less disruption. Win-win. Other suggestions are available. Have a nice day.

PS; I [i]am[/i] pretty much a bedroom player myself. I can laugh at it too because I know that [u]we[/u] are the future. Heeheehee
[/quote]

It doesn't offend me in the slightest, if I got offended by narrow minded old men who repeatedly state opinion as fact then Basschat would be a pretty stupid place to be a member of. :)
I continue to read his posts in the remote possibility that one day he might say something that will change my opinion of him. I also see other people replying to his posts who seemingly feel the same way about them as I do & I'm always interested in their responses.

[/quote]

Blue is OK and doesn't troll.

Rather than wasting everyone's time with moaning about him, just ignore what irritates you so much.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493464282' post='3288532']

Fine, but the big difference between you & Blue is you don't feel the need to start argumentative threads about pretty much the same bloody subject every week or so.
[/quote]

Debate threads, opinion threads not argumentative.

Blue

[/quote]

RhysP,

Start up bands have there place, We definitely need them especially now. Are these start up bands for everyone, absolutely not.

Bedroom players, definitely a place for them. However​, it's like anything else there are guys in the bedroom for good reason and some in the bedroom for all the wrong reasons.IMO

Blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493732220' post='3290228']

It doesn't offend me in the slightest, if I got offended by narrow minded old men who repeatedly state opinion as fact then Basschat would be a pretty stupid place to be a member of. :)
I continue to read his posts in the remote possibility that one day he might say something that will change my opinion of him. I also see other people replying to his posts who seemingly feel the same way about them as I do & I'm always interested in their responses.
[/quote]

RhysP,

Keep in mind, admittedly I will post provocative threads. But my threads are not trolling mechanisms. They're merely to generate other positions and opinions.In that respect I'm somewhat successful.

BTW, I'm older, not old. I'll never be old.😀

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1493730487' post='3290201']
Regarding the future of bass playing (and bands in general) in the 13 years I've lived in France, I've sold loads of redundant gear for whatever reasons and every time, without exception, it's been to, or for, a young player who wants to join a band and play live (or is already doing so)

I've found it most refreshing to see young people's enthusiasm regarding getting into playing and forming bands.

[/quote]

Very cool post Leschirons.

When and if I have to get rid of any of my bass guitars I will give them to young serious enthusuastic​ players.

Blue

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1493546889' post='3289004']
Some of my favourites are: Elder, Truck fighters, Conan, Conjurer, Torche, YOB, Sleep, Red Fang, Wo Fat, Teeth of the Sea, Amenra and many more.

In terms of the artwork scene stuff like:

www.behance.net

www.pyreclimber.com
[/quote]

Thanks for the band suggestions, i'll check them out!

re. Behance - can you be more specific? Everyone and their mum is on Behance, it's a bit like saying 'Bandcamp'. I'm curious what artists are making a proper living from doing artwork connected to the music scene you're into.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1493730487' post='3290201']

[/quote]

I've been living in Normandy for the past year and have struggled to find a single gig (apart from last summer's midsummer festival). At the jam session I sometimes go to almost everyone is in their 50s or older. Where do all the young players play?