Why become a member? ×

Custom spray; recommendations?

steverickwood

Hi all
Got a Status 4000 (so...not wood) that I would like stripped and refinished in either shocking pink or rose-blue;
Any recommendations? Have spoken to SIMS and Status but prices quite high there.
Appreciate any links etc but please PM Me as Im unlikely to check forum as they move too fast!

Thanks B-)

Stevo

A mate, who's a pro sprayer, quoted me £100 to spray a body. That was "mates rates". So you can look at double that as normal for a proper spray job.

I've sprayed a few myself and I'm getting to be quite good with rattle-cans, but TBH, it costs about £50 in cans. Add to that the hours of rubbing down, priming and rubbing again, the sandpaper and your time.... aaand add to that, the fact that it doesn't look totally "pro" when I'm done.

I'd get my mate to do it for next time. I hope this might help a bit.

PS - good finishes cost money - because they are very labour intensive.

Stripping, preparing, spraying, flattening, polishing.

And thats before you have taken the time to make sure the environment is all ready to spray... not to mention the cost of the equipment to do it all. And lets face it, spraying polyester isn't the kindest of things to subject your body too... hence the airfed masks.

Bow re-sprayed the neck on my Status SII after it developed that characteristically milky look at the fretboard edges. The quality is nothing short of brilliant. Realistic prices for an incredibly professional job - easy to work with too. I've been told (but can't confirm) that Bow were the original finishers for Status. Mine's an early one so the neck may have been re-finished by the people that sprayed it in the first place (sort of nice if true)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1493735242' post='3290263']
Dave Wilson - [url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002025970885"]http://www.facebook....100002025970885[/url]
[/quote]

Absolutely!

No question, beautiful work, great guy, and you will like the cost more than SIMs.
He did a Jazz body of mine, and also lacquered the neck of my Stingray. Superb.

[quote name='three' timestamp='1493746225' post='3290408']
Bow re-sprayed the neck on my Status SII after it developed that characteristically milky look at the fretboard edges. The quality is nothing short of brilliant. Realistic prices for an incredibly professional job - easy to work with too. I've been told (but can't confirm) that Bow were the original finishers for Status. Mine's an early one so the neck may have been re-finished by the people that sprayed it in the first place (sort of nice if true)
[/quote]
This is correct -they were indeed the original spray guys for Status.