Why become a member? ×

Delivery date for the new TE Elf head

TheGreek

What this isn't... a classic Trace Elliot in a lightweight, miniature package.

There's no 7/11 band graphic, no compressor, no pre programmed sound and doesn't have the classic warm TE sound we either love or hate. I think you know where I stand on this.

This is a completely new beast, caged and trying to get out of the [size=1]tiny[/size], little green and black box. Presented like no other amp, in a cardboard box containing the amp, it's travel bag, a couple of power leads and the paper "gumph" which includes a new design TE sticker. All for £250 - whether it's VFM only time will tell.

[url="https://imgur.com/sj2ZLN4"][/url]

The amp is a little larger than your typical mobile phone, possible twice the depth. If you found this you wouldn't believe it was a 200w bass amp.

[url="https://imgur.com/XddCiq1"][/url]

I'm not yet sure whether it lives up to the Trace Elliot reputation or my expectations - I'm not going to jump in and say this is a future classic in it's own right but for the size it certainly provides a kick, is surprisingly loud and I reckon will compete with it's Class D peers. At this point I've had about 45mins use out of this - [i]Shalla dictates when we go out[/i] - it hasn't been love at first sound - we'll see if I grow to love this.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to be able to attend the SE Bash but if I can I'll be bringing this along for others to test and give their opinion.

I'll try to get a proper sound test/ video put together before then..

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1505157835' post='3369923']
Interesting thoughts Mick..

Hope you can make the Bash as it'll be good to see you - but also, I'm sure peeps there will be very keen to see/hear this little fella in action! 😊
[/quote]

Wot Nik sed :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1505206432' post='3370139']
Logically, we'll all end up storing our amplification in the Cloud.

As long as the pub has decent Wi-Fi, there'll be no need for physical backline at all.

Or something.
[/quote]

Well....

Here's a thing if all the venues with a house pa had xair type mixers of a standardised model it would be simple for bands to arrive pre mixed with the mix stored on their phone, the sound person could tweak to suit during the much faster sound check and the band could save that mix for that venue ready for next time they play just like my function band does with the digital desk, we have a base setting for new venues or I'll choose one that is similar from the previous gigs i.e. a marquee then save it after and add it to the memory bank, it really is the future :D

You say " ..... [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]doesn't have the classic warm TE sound we either love or hate[/i].... "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Despite being very much in the latter camp (my personal experience of old TE gear being more bright than[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] warm) I'm still intrigued[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] as to what this little chap could potentially deliver especially at gig like volumes. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How would you describe what it sounds like, either compared to TE of old, or in it's own right? [/font][/color]

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1505227295' post='3370371']
You say " ..... [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]doesn't have the classic warm TE sound we either love or hate[/i].... "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Despite being very much in the latter camp (my personal experience of old TE gear being more bright than[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] warm) I'm still intrigued[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] as to what this little chap could potentially deliver especially at gig like volumes. [/font][/color]

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How would you describe what it sounds like, either compared to TE of old, or in it's own right? [/font][/color][/b]
[/quote]

I've had a bit more time with the little green and black fella - still don't feel that it has too much in common with the old stock, definitely more Class D. I feel that a review while I'm still in the honeymoon period wouldn't be right so I'm holding off for the moment, though I am warming towards it.

As I've said, if I can get to the SE Bash I'll bring it along but I've other commitments on that day currently which I'm still trying to get out of. If I can attend it'll be available to whoever wants to give it a try and hopefully we can get some sort of consensus.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1505227295' post='3370371']
You say " ..... [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]doesn't have the classic warm TE sound we either love or hate[/i].... " [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Despite being very much in the latter camp (my personal experience of old TE gear being more bright than[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] warm) I'm still intrigued[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] as to what this little chap could potentially deliver especially at gig like volumes. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How would you describe what it sounds like, either compared to TE of old, or in it's own right? [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Some decent sound clips and a balanced review too: [url="https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25692-trace-elliot-elf-review"]https://www.premierg...liot-elf-review[/url]

I love the fact that this weighs 1.5 lbs and takes up no more space than my Boss RC 30 Looper (or 2 Notes) on a pedal board and also has a [font=Helvetica-Light, Helvetica]Post EQ balanced XLR [color=#000000]DI output and a headphones out. [/color][/font]

[font=Helvetica-Light, Helvetica][color=#000000]My Looper gets used purely for "creative stuff" i.e. recording bass riff ideas etc. So this could go on the pedal board (which is otherwise full) in place of the RC 30 and get taken to rehearsals. My query is whether 200W is going to be sufficient in a full band situation even just in rehearsals? I found my little Promethean combo which put out 300W sometimes struggled, although I appreciate the "economy" 1x10 Promethean cab would have been a big factor in this.[/color][/font]

Quilter Bass Block at 800W is a little beast, but probably twice the overall size of the Elf? Whoever delivers a TE Elf sized 400W power amp, that can fit on a reasonable pedal board is IMHO going to have a winner on their hands...

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1505229182' post='3370388']

I feel that a review while I'm still in the honeymoon period wouldn't be right so I'm holding off for the moment, though I am warming towards it.

As I've said, if I can get to the SE Bash I'll bring it along but I've other commitments on that day currently which I'm still trying to get out of. If I can attend it'll be available to whoever wants to give it a try and hopefully we can get some sort of consensus.

[/quote]

Wise words about waiting for the honeymoon period to end before objectively reviewing it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and those of other B.C. members too :)[size=4] [/size]