Why become a member? ×

Delivery date for the new TE Elf head

TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1496244723' post='3309893']
[b]DELIVERY DATE UPDATE:[/b]

I contacted Barnes & Mullins today to chase up a more accurate delivery date (in June) for the new Elf.

I was advised that [b]they do not have a confirmed delivery date [/b]but expect delivery at "[b][i]the end of July[/i][/b]".

I'm not happy about this as I was promised "[i]end of March, if not, April[/i]" by the B&M rep at the LBGS and handed over payment for pre-order shortly after the conversation.

I've also emailed TE in the USA and I'm awaiting a reply from their Customer Sales Dept. but TBH I'm seriously considering getting a refund and waiting till they actually arrive....
[/quote]

😡 It really is shocking

you DO know you can wait til they have it in stock and THEN pay them, don't you?

I hate handing over money without getting a toy to play with, I wait til they have it in stock, pay them and take it home then and there.

What did you think, they'd RUN OUT of them before you can grab one?

• 4 weeks later...

You'd have thought with NAMM every year being the pinnacle of manufacturers showing off their new stuff that they would plan their release around NAMM. I.e. Build prototypes, do testing etc before NAMM, get loads produced before NAMM and then release with stock following almost instantly. Most manufacturers seem to take something to NAMM sand you're lucky if it hits the retailers within 3-6 months, even for the big guys. Totally crazy, cos you'd make a killing if you had something good and people could just buy it before anything else got released!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1498932372' post='3328112']
You'd have thought with NAMM every year being the pinnacle of manufacturers showing off their new stuff that they would plan their release around NAMM. I.e. Build prototypes, do testing etc before NAMM, get loads produced before NAMM and then release with stock following almost instantly. Most manufacturers seem to take something to NAMM sand you're lucky if it hits the retailers within 3-6 months, even for the big guys. Totally crazy, cos you'd make a killing if you had something good and people could just buy it before anything else got released!
[/quote]There's a trend these days with pre-selling new houses. Maybe it's being applied to other stuff.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1498919327' post='3327984']
I really, really hope it's not just suitable for bedroom practice or tiny venues.
[/quote]

A tiny tiny class d amp that's 130w 8ohm or 200w 4ohm and even then I bet there bullshitting the ratings some watt! (See what I did there ha).
Even the very best most "hefty" lol 200w amp is really only for small places or some small to medium venues at very best. Or used for monitoring type thing. Unless your in a quieter band.
I would think the statement about it being suitable for small venues is correct.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1498932372' post='3328112']
[/quote]

I guess they use it to gauge audience/consumer reaction. Imagine doing it the way you suggest with hundreds of amps built and ready to ship only for it to be met with complete indifference? What they should at least do is have all the prototyping and production issues ironed out so that it's just a case of hitting the switch and getting a production order for 50/100/200 whatever....

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1498980841' post='3328293']

I guess they use it to gauge audience/consumer reaction. Imagine doing it the way you suggest with hundreds of amps built and ready to ship only for it to be met with complete indifference? What they should at least do is have all the prototyping and production issues ironed out so that it's just a case of hitting the switch and getting a production order for 50/100/200 whatever....
[/quote]

That's what I was suggesting. Doing the focus group work ahead of time with heir retailers (to judge the market without releasing) and then release to the public at NAMM... or maybe just use NAMM as the testing point it's supposed to be without everybody sharing every detail with the public who then want to buy something they can't get!

For me, it's like putting loads of money into a movie and releasing lots of trailers and then bypassing cinema to release it on BluRay 6 months later.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1498937565' post='3328158']
When I placed my order I was hoping it would have similar output to my TE AH150 head which is more than enough to annoy most of my neighbours - here's hoping that it's somewhere in the same ballpark.
[/quote]

I think the old TE stuff was very loud as They were fairly rated no bs and they had a certain mid range thing going on. I've had a few older TE amps/combos and indeed they were seemingly louder than anything else watt for watt.

I shall wait to see what these are like when they come out. My guess is they are not anything like older (real) TE gear in any way other than in name.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1499001870' post='3328476']

I shall wait to see what these are like when they come out. My guess is they are not anything like older (real) TE gear in any way other than in name.
[/quote]

My fear is that you may be right.

Fortunately the new Elf is very reasonably priced so, at worst, I've bought a cheap, small home amp.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1498998041' post='3328429']

That's what I was suggesting. Doing the focus group work ahead of time with heir retailers (to judge the market without releasing) and then release to the public at NAMM... or maybe just use NAMM as the testing point it's supposed to be without everybody sharing every detail with the public who then want to buy something they can't get!

For me, it's like putting loads of money into a movie and releasing lots of trailers and then bypassing cinema to release it on BluRay 6 months later.
[/quote]

Fair enough :)

Why didn`t they build it slightly larger and make it 500ish watts like most of these small class D amps seem to be? I certainly wouldn`t spend my hard earned on a 200 watt class D amp, made by Trace or anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...