Why become a member? ×

Band names - how did you come up with yours?

AdamWoodBass

Past band names include (in no particular order):

[i]Nude Kids on the Block

The Blooze Brothers

Tango With Dignity

Rich Clifford[/i]

In Tango we occasionally used to do spoof 'tours', of which the most memorable would have to be the time we gigged as Malt Loaf on the 'Boat out of Hull' tour. We had a brilliant caricaturist who did all our posters for us - completely free but done to a very high standard: I still have a couple of them up on the wall in my man-cave. Happy days! :)

I had cause to remember this recently at the funeral of my former bandmate and close friend Malcolm, who came up with most of our best publicity and who died of bowel cancer in March.

Edited by leftybassman392

That was just a couple of days ago, we had a great time playing there, but it was our second gig of the day and we didn't finish until half one! Just heard from our drummer, he and the guitarist (in one car) took a wrong turn around Oxford and didn't get back to Swindon until after 4 AM! They still think it was a good gig. If your mate would like to share the pics, that'd make the band very happy :) If they have Facebook, sharing them or linking them to our page [color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3]https://www.facebook.com/TheWirebirds.UK/ would be the easiest way. Cheers![/size][/font][/color]

I'm in a band called Dandelion Pussy. The singer emailed me after the breakup of a previous band saying "I'm starting a disco-punk band called Dandelion Pussy, will you be my drummer?"

I begged her to let me play bass but that role was already taken, and I just had to be a part of it based solely on the name. She can't quite explain it, it just "came to her"

I'm in several bands at the moment (and always seems to be the case!)
With a recently formed band, in which I play double bass, and we play a bit of Bluegrass, Cajun, 30's / 40's Jazz and some blues....
We had named ourselves "The Soggy Mountain Boys" - as we all like "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" and were trying to sound a bit like the music of that film. Another reason for the name, was the fact that 2 of us live one side of Caerphilly mountain, and the other 2 live the other side... and it's often raining in South Wales....

Unfortunately, there was already a band with that name, albeit in the US - we decided to find a new name. It took a while and there were several suggestions from each of us, but driving over said mountain, we were discussing how, in our advancing years, 3 of us had fairly recently discovered the merits of Whisky, I had an idea - and now we are called "The Old Grey Whisky Testers"

I dabble in three bands currently :-

Declined Transaction - this is made up of colleagues from work, Barclaycard, and we play pop punk .
NightOwl - hard rock covers pub band (girl singers)
and just named yesterday Hoaxx (much more contemporary covers) -the double XX to make searches easier!

Declined Transaction came very quickly, the others took some time and lots of FBing and Googling. We take the view that if it fits and there isn't another band operating in our patch /or who are really well known with the same name then crack on - it's pub rock after all. Getting something unique is less important than getting something that fits and sounds good.

Having gigged as Dumper, Red Raw & Sore and playing for a one and only time as Turbo Condom and the Fish Fingers I am much happier with the current names :)

• 11 months later...

Ooh, good subject.

The Dags: This is what Australian shepherds call the poop that sticks to the wool round a sheeps a-hole.

The Irvines Are Back: This was a bit of graffiti written high up on the wall in the queuing area at Universal Studios 'Kongfrontation' ride.

Nancy Johnson:  From a photograph at the Gregory Crewdson 'Beneath The Roses' exhibition (I can't post it here as it's NSFW).

96 Decibels: Mott The Hoople, innit?

Pink Eye: Because it's funny.

There was a local band who had a band called Brother Toboggan which was 100% genius.

Edited by NancyJohnson

In Nottingham in the 60s, "The Mason-Dixon Line", we figured everyone would recognise the name, but hopefully wouldn’t immediately come up with the original.  As has been said in a previous post,  very 6th form....

Current (as yet) jamming band, Cabin Crew, because we rehearse in a log cabin.

My friend Rowland Jones - an excellent blues man - plays with so many different local musicians from time to time that they're called "Rowland and the Moveable Feast".

I'm now playing in the Plastic Mojo Blues Band - my idea, it was meant to be just a private joke taking the mickey out of ourselves, but the others all seem to share the same strange sense of humour and decided to go public with it.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 17:45, irish jack said:

Hi

I've just joined. Does anyone know how I can contact Low End Bee. Many thanks.

You could try sending him a personal message. Find a posting (there's one in this thread), mouse over the user name and you should get an option to send a message to him. And we could try this: @Low End Bee

• Like 1

My main band CaseHardin took their name from a serial killer in Boston Terrain's book God is a Bullet.

The Jimmy Sixes is an engine part & we just thought it sounded cool.

Creedence Clearwater Revival Revival we just thought was funny & to be honest we just formed the band around the name from a jokey pub conversation.

Newest band I'm in is called 16 Choke Start - our first band "discussion" came after jamming a new song and trying to decide whether to start it with 16 or 8 cymbal chokes.

My other band is called Dredd and the Badass Weeds - on our first jam together (in 1983!) someone said we sounded dreadful, mainly because we'd all been smoking too much weed...

And I was also in a band called Barf Roco. We were originally called Barf; one of the band members decided it was wise to spray some graffiti to get our name known (I know, Jack Daniels etc). He thought "Barf Rocks" would convey the message but due to drunken misspelling he wrote "Barf Roco".